Air ti and from Silversea cruises.

Dolebludger

Some SS cruises are being advertised as including economy air. Can this be upgraded to business class for extra charge? If so, approximately how much?

Also, has their been any “de-formalization” on SS formal nights? Last time we cruised SS last decade, one would feel out of place without a tux.  I wonder if that is still the case, or if one would feel OK wearing dress slacks, jacket, dress shirt, and tie.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Some SS cruises are being advertised as including economy air. Can this be upgraded to business class for extra charge? If so, approximately how much?

Also, has their been any “de-formalization” on SS formal nights? Last time we cruised SS last decade, one would feel out of place without a tux.  I wonder if that is still the case, or if one would feel OK wearing dress slacks, jacket, dress shirt, and tie.

I just sailed Moon and plenty of men were not in tuxes......your attire sounds like it would be totally acceptable. There were men wearing them but not all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes you can generally upgrade your air, but you will need to get a quote. It depends on a number of factors but can be cheaper to do so.

IMHO there has been no move to any “de-formalisation” on SS cruises.

• Like 1

We upgraded to business both ways into Sydney and out of Tokyo for 2023. It was an additional $5000 Canadian which was significantly cheaper than I would be able to purchase on my own.

21 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Some SS cruises are being advertised as including economy air. Can this be upgraded to business class for extra charge?

Yes.  

21 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Impossible to say without knowing where you will be flying to/from.  You can get a general feel for costs by visiting SS’s website, selecting your voyage, and clicking the “Offers” link.  There you will find the business class air upgrade cost, if offered.

22 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I have been sailing with Silversea since 2008 and have never felt out of place not wearing a tuxedo.

With that said, there has been no “de-formalization” of Silversea’s standards.  If your voyage has a formal night and you wish to dine in a venue that follows the formal designation for the evening, then men wear tuxedos, dark suits, or dinner jackets.  Tie will be required as well.

• Like 2

We’ve not been lucky when it comes to upgrading from coach to first/business with Silversea.  Two trips stick out. One was for a cruise starting in Venice and ending Athens and another was Rome ending in Dubai.  In both cases the upgrade cost was as much or more than we could book ourselves on our airline of choice.   Doesn’t help that we live in a city that is not a major hub and that has meant sometimes two flights just to get to a major International airport with flights to or from our embarkation/disembarkation cities.  We always ask for the cost but so far have booked all our trips ourselves.  The good news is that when Silversea has advertised flights included they have always given us a credit for not using their offer.   

Edited by Randyk47

On 7/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, Dolebludger said:

I have been looking at a cruise in April 2022 on Muse, primarily Japan, and economy air is included ,OR you can get $1500 credit if you do your own flights. However, to get Business class you will have to pay $2500 pp EACH WAY from US, in my opinion somewhat "expensive"

31 minutes ago, docmark said:

However, to get Business class you will have to pay $2500 pp EACH WAY from US, in my opinion somewhat "expensive"

Considering one can fly for less than $4,000 round trip to Tokyo in biz class from many U.S. cities (some less than $3,500), yes, the SS price expensive.

ANA is an excellent airline with a great business class.  They have the most reasonable frequent flyer I've ever seen, 75-95k points round trip business class.  You can transfer AMEX points to ANA.   I got 2 business class going/ first class back for 240k miles.  It may be a little late for April 2022.

58 minutes ago, docmark said:

I have been looking at a cruise in April 2022 on Muse, primarily Japan, and economy air is included ,OR you can get $1500 credit if you do your own flights. However, to get Business class you will have to pay $2500 pp EACH WAY from US, in my opinion somewhat "expensive"

There are a lot of flights from LAX to Tokyo.   Stumble is correct you can usually get a biz class ticket for $3-3.5k from LAX.  Thats net 1500 with credit. Math guy 🙂

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

My observation with Luxury cruise lines is you are generally better off buying the tickets yourself.  

I think you lose the free transfer (hotel?) also when you make you own air reservation.  Be sure to get exact details from your TA.

from SS website

"In case Promotional Flights are not available or for guests not utilizing the promotional bundle offer, we are pleased to offer a $1,500 Air credit. Included transfers and hotel available only for guests utilizing Silversea air offer."

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

My observation with Luxury cruise lines is you are generally better off buying the tickets yourself. 

While I agree that's generally true, there's no harm in asking the cruise line for a quote. Sometimes their rate for business class can be better than what you find on your own.

And as always, if you're not flying in a day or more prior to embarkation, should you have a flight delay or cancelation, if you have your air booked through the cruise line, the cruise line is responsible for doing whatever it takes to get you to the ship in the original port of embarkation or the next port of call. But if you fly in early, that's usually not a concern. However, I think there's another consideration in these unusual times: if things change with the cruise, and you have your air booked through the cruise line, the cruise line is responsible for making changes to your air to get you to/from the ship. It's unusual for the port of embarkation or disembarkation to change, but with countries blocking international travel, that can happen. Or the cruise could be canceled or substantially changed. Booking with the cruise line relieves you of responsibility for making changes, should any be needed, or paying any change fees.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseej said:

While I agree that's generally true, there's no harm in asking the cruise line for a quote. Sometimes their rate for business class can be better than what you find on your own.

And as always, if you're not flying in a day or more prior to embarkation, should you have a flight delay or cancelation, if you have your air booked through the cruise line, the cruise line is responsible for doing whatever it takes to get you to the ship in the original port of embarkation or the next port of call. But if you fly in early, that's usually not a concern. However, I think there's another consideration in these unusual times: if things change with the cruise, and you have your air booked through the cruise line, the cruise line is responsible for making changes to your air to get you to/from the ship. It's unusual for the port of embarkation or disembarkation to change, but with countries blocking international travel, that can happen. Or the cruise could be canceled or substantially changed. Booking with the cruise line relieves you of responsibility for making changes, should any be needed, or paying any change fees.

Good council.

Not sure I'd spend the extra $6k for that luxury in Japan.  I would make sure we had plenty of quality travel insurance.

Just to many unknowns for us at this point.   Our 2021/2022 vacations are land based.  Having fun planning the 2023 cruises, wish they'd open the calendar a little more.

safe travels

2 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Do you have the brochure? Still not be able to find it. Although I have seen most of the itineraries in many TA sites. Only a few of Silver Spirit are missing...

No.  I have not seen a brochure, or even an itinerary, for voyages after the following dates:

• Cloud; Feb 15, 2023 
  • Wind; Feb 16, 2023 
  • Explorer; Mar 4, 2023 
  • Moon; Mar 16, 2023
  • Dawn; Mar 23, 2023
  • Spirit; Mar 24, 2023
  • Origin; Apr 1, 2023
  • Muse; Apr 26, 2023
  • Whisper; May 5, 2023
  • Shadow; May 15, 2023

Would you post a link to the TA you found that has voyages after these posted online?

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

I have not seen a brochure, or even an itinerary, for voyages after the following dates:

The Silversea site now has the 2024 world cruise on the Shadow, RT San Francisco, beginning January 2024. No prices, but itinerary is there. There are also a couple more cruises listed for May 2023 on the Shadow. 

I want to see the Expedition cruises! Hoping it is soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

No.  I have not seen a brochure, or even an itinerary, for voyages after the following dates:

• Cloud; Feb 15, 2023 
  • Wind; Feb 16, 2023 
  • Explorer; Mar 4, 2023 
  • Moon; Mar 16, 2023
  • Dawn; Mar 23, 2023
  • Spirit; Mar 24, 2023
  • Origin; Apr 1, 2023
  • Muse; Apr 26, 2023
  • Whisper; May 5, 2023
  • Shadow; May 15, 2023

Would you post a link to the TA you found that has voyages after these posted online?

give me your email to send you the link

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I have not seen a brochure, 

I have been unable to get a hard copy brochure from Silverseas.  Only online brochures which are unsatisfactory in my opinion.  Better than nothing, I suppose, but not by much.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Can't find it. No @gmail or @hotmail for example?

The "@" is elevation-group. It's a business address using that domain name, not a personal one on gmail or hotmail.

I don't know what you mean by "can't find it" -- there's nothing to find. You asked for an email address and she provided it: type "info" followed by "@" followed by "elevation-group" followed by ".com".  🙂

• Thanks 1