Ocean Cay--Port or Starboard?

zackarykeef

Hi all...just a quick question.

We're headed to Ocean Cay on a quick weekend cruise...this is both our first time on MSC and my partner's first cruise. Trying to choose between port vs starboard for our balcony. For those of you who have been to OC before, which side typically docks/faces the island? I know it can vary in different locations, but just wasn't sure how it worked on MSC at OC. As it's the only port on this quick cruise, just trying to get the best view!

Thanks in advance!

On 7/26/2021 at 5:56 PM, eagletwo said:

Not sure why, but it seems all the ships back into Ocean Cay. That would put your view on the (starboard) right side of the ship.

They dock the ships this way because it's far easier to do the spin around maneuver in the basin with visibility during daylight hours and not approaching midnight when most of the ships depart OC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m new to MSC and this will be my first visit to their private island.  While I love the sea, I cannot be out in the sun and heat for very long at a time because of medication I take.  I’ve read that it is a gorgeous island but the vegetation is young and not many areas of shade.  I was thinking not to get off the ship here for that reason.  Is this island a must-see and I’ll regret not going?

8 minutes ago, nadalina said:

I’m new to MSC and this will be my first visit to their private island.  While I love the sea, I cannot be out in the sun and heat for very long at a time because of medication I take.  I’ve read that it is a gorgeous island but the vegetation is young and not many areas of shade.  I was thinking not to get off the ship here for that reason.  Is this island a must-see and I’ll regret not going?

Was on Aug 2 cruise. I feel it's a must see. Eating areas had sitting in shade. I can't wait to go back. Only negative was figuring out why they left at noon second day for short cruise back to Miami 

5 hours ago, nadalina said:

Don't worry about being out too long- the Cay isn't huge and you can come and go from the ship as you like. So if you get off the ship and decide you've had enough sun, just get back on board until sunset. It's a really cute little island. I'd only be worried if you were doing some excursion that might keep you out in the sun.

I'm like you; I can't stay out in the sun too long.  I wore a sunblock shirt much of the time I was out.  When we sat at the beach, we put our chairs between two trees that provided shade.

If you use sunscreen and plan to go into the water, make sure it is "reef safe".

You can enjoy the views of the Cay from the ship, and it's worth walking around there, too.