LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

On 7/31/2021 at 10:41 AM, NavArch64 said:

Apparently the CDC codes are based on data from 7/29 ... Now 2 days old. My guess is that as of today the ship is CDC Green ... We just don't have the current data.

It turned Orange on Wednesday of last week (based on the previous day’s data submitted), and has remained that way. The previous week it was Yellow for at least one day. For whatever it’s worth, Carnival does not usually notify passengers (nor some crew, in some instances) of cases. Hopefully, we’ll have an answer soon on why it’s been orange. Safe travels to all!

Edited by syesmar

Well bingo was a bust this time.  Had lunch at the buffet and found it ok.  I think the issue is more that none of the offerings really jumped out to me than the quality of the food. It did take absolutely forever to get a drink since you can not self serv on that at all.

Going to head to the thermal spa now and relax for a bit.

• Like 7

Hi Brentt. I’m looking forward to following your commentary this week. I’d love to hear what the kids think about Club Hal and if there are any changes that negatively affect their fun. Of course I’d love to also hear any new good stuff too! Thanks so much for your time!

• Like 1

The hydro pool and ceramic loungers were both nice and relaxing.  Great way to waste an hour.  When I first got there 11 people were in the pool, but it cleared out pretty quickly.  Had no wait for a lounger.

20210801_135243.jpg

20210801_133725.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, travelx4 said:

Hi Brentt. I’m looking forward to following your commentary this week. I’d love to hear what the kids think about Club Hal and if there are any changes that negatively affect their fun. Of course I’d love to also hear any new good stuff too! Thanks so much for your time!

Early reviews are that it is not much different than before except they have combined the 12 yr olds with the 13-17 yr olds for now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

The hydro pool and ceramic loungers were both nice and relaxing.  Great way to waste an hour.  When I first got there 11 people were in the pool, but it cleared out pretty quickly.  Had no wait for a lounger.

20210801_135243.jpg

20210801_133725.jpg

My husband's "happy place" 😍

(did you buy a pass for the week or just the day?  price?)

1 minute ago, zelker said:

My husband's "happy place" 😍

(did you buy a pass for the week or just the day?  price?)

Single pass for the week.  Got it for 139 online in advance.  199 on the ship and they only had 7 left by 5pm yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20210801_144812.jpg

Thank you, and could they make it any more confusing?  How do you play 30 or 36 cards at one time?  Or am I not understanding what's being sold?

Happy hour is now only 25% of the 2nd drink... 😞

That is sad.....😢

9 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thank you, and could they make it any more confusing?  How do you play 30 or 36 cards at one time?  Or am I not understanding what's being sold?

@Roz It’s on a “machine.” I play 100+ cards at home. The machine daubs for you, figures out the pattern, and tells you how many spots you need to bingo. And most importantly, when you’re 1 away and what number you need. You still need to yell “bingo” yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@dobiemom, got it. Thank you.  I've never played on one of those machines.  So if you buy the traditional 3 or 6 card pack, you still use the dauber?  I see they have daubers for sale, so I assume that's the case.

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

@dobiemom, got it. Thank you.  I've never played on one of those machines.  So if you buy the traditional 3 or 6 card pack, you still use the dauber?  I see they have daubers for sale, so I assume that's the case.

That’s what it looks like. I’ll have to remember to pack my own dauber… I have a LOT. 😉😄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roz said:

That is sad.....😢

Considering most of the drinks are around 7.00-10.00, the second drink will generally be $2.50 or less. Still a bargain for those who don't have the SBC. 

Just now, dobiemom said:

That’s what it looks like. I’ll have to remember to pack my own dauber… I have a LOT. 😉😄

So do I - Carnival, HAL, Princess, volunteer fire dept., etc.  I always forget to pack them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Not sure if I understand the math 🙂  If a drink is $10, do you pay $2.50 or $7.50 for the second drink?  If it is $2.50, then not much difference from the second drink costs $2.00.  Have a great cruise.

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

So do I - Carnival, HAL, Princess, volunteer fire dept., etc.  I always forget to pack them. 

I only play bingo on ships so purchased daubers on my last cruise, just before the shutdown.  I plan to keep them in my suitcase (in a ziplock baggie) for the next cruise.  I hope they won't dry out since that's another year away! 

Just a suggestion for those of you who have a few.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, panamashark said:

Not sure if I understand the math 🙂  If a drink is $10, do you pay $2.50 or $7.50 for the second drink?  If it is $2.50, then not much difference from the second drink costs $2.00.  Have a great cruise.

Sorry typo on my part 25% OFF not of.  So $10 drink is $7.50 for the 2nd

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Sorry typo on my part 25% OFF not of.  So $10 drink is $7.50 for the 2nd

Thanks, Too bad HAL has turned Happy Hour into a non event.  It used to be a fun place to meet people.  But, we will probably still go.  Cheers

1 hour ago, Brentt_M said:

Looks really relaxing! Are there certain hours for the pool and loungers (eg: 8am-9pm or something like that?).

Thanks! Hope your cruise is fantastic!

59 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

20210801_144812.jpg

Boy that has really changed.  I think it’s actually a better deal IF I have this figured out right?  Of course, I’m sure the jackpots are a lot less based on the When and Where’s I saw on Lisa’s post.

58 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Dam!  Our favourite wine is very pricey - we always got it at happy hour.

33 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

@Roz It’s on a “machine.” I play 100+ cards at home. The machine daubs for you, figures out the pattern, and tells you how many spots you need to bingo. And most importantly, when you’re 1 away and what number you need. You still need to yell “bingo” yourself. 

Sounds very different from last bingo game where I had to keep track and punch and fold.  Thanks 🙂 

31 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

😒 guess most have the drink packages now. Wonder how busy happy hour will be.  

Drink packages don’t cover the really good wines.  Happy hour was very busy before.  Now, I’m not so sure.  25% off is not a huge savings 😔 So much for our pricey wine we liked 😢 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Boy that has really changed.  I think it’s actually a better deal IF I have this figured out right?  Of course, I’m sure the jackpots are a lot less based on the When and Where’s I saw on Lisa’s post.

Dam!  Our favourite wine is very pricey - we always got it at happy hour.

Sounds very different from last bingo game where I had to keep track and punch and fold.  Thanks 🙂 

Drink packages don’t cover the really good wines.  Happy hour was very busy before.  Now, I’m not so sure.  25% off is not a huge savings 😔 So much for our pricey wine we liked 😢 

This only means we will have to buy more bottles of wine on the wine packages and possibly bring them from our room if the service is not too good.  Maybe they will change the Happy Hour back.  We have 66 days scheduled on HAL, 3 cruises, between September 2021 and April 2022.  One could hope they fix the Happy Hour.  Cheers

Edited by panamashark

1 minute ago, panamashark said:

This only means we will have to buy more bottles of wine on the wine packages and possibly bring them from our room if the service is not too good.  Maybe they will change the Happy Hour back.  One could hope.  Cheers

Exactly.  Sadly that particular wine is not in the wine packages but it is what it is.  We’ll cope 😉