LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

16 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hi everyone, we are frequent Princess cruisers and less frequent Holland American cruisers (only 4 previous HAL cruises), but for 10 years I have blogged about our winters at sea.  We are currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but without ship’s internet, so I am going to be posting future updates only from the ports. If you’re interested in a kinda newbie’s perspective, you can follow along at:

Yellow Fish Cruises

Hope everyone on the ship with us right now has a wonderful and safe cruise!

Jeanie,  I'm such a fan of your blog and will be very interested to see what you think of HAL.  Enjoy your two weeks in Alaska!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cal56girl said:

Have a wonderful trip! 
No need to rush with an answer, but what time were you scheduled for boarding? Did you arrive at that time or earlier? If earlier, any problems?

Schedule 120.  Showed up at noon.  No issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So our 7pm dinner got off to an odd start.  They lost all power in the galley just before we got there.  They were super apologetic for making us wait and kept offering us drinks for waiting, but we have beverage packages and 2 of the 3 of us are kids. They actually ended up not charging us for our spicy tuna roll which was excellent.  Actually the entire meal was excellent. I had the satay sampler, szechuan shrimp, passion fruit cloud. My daughter went with the vegetarian ramen and the dan dan noodles with no dessert. My son had the potstickers, the wasabi crusted tenderloin, and the cheesecake. We also love the shrimp cracker at the beginning and could use a bunch of those delivered to our cabin.

I forgot pictures of the appetizers but got the rest.

20210731_201628.jpg

20210731_194241.jpg

20210731_194231.jpg

20210731_191646.jpg

20210731_185958.jpg

20210731_201623.jpg

20210731_194247.jpg

20210731_194245.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

I am guessing we will go back to Tamarind at least 1 more time.  My daughter commented that it was a bad choice for the 1st night cause she thinks everything afterwards is going to be a disappointment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for sharing this memorable cruise experience, hope you enjoy this cruise with making new memories, no doubt with many past in your mind. Admire your strength to be able to share this personal cruise experience with you and your children.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

I am guessing we will go back to Tamarind at least 1 more time.  My daughter commented that it was a bad choice for the 1st night cause she thinks everything afterwards is going to be a disappointment.

LOL - you have one smart daughter 🙂 

Tamarind is a favourite of many.  

Great pics!

• Like 2

Your meal at the Tamarind looks wonderful.  We have been cruising on HAL for the past 6 years but have not been on a ship with the Tamarind or Nami.  Question regarding the 4 & 5 star discounts.  Do you get the discounts when ordering ala carte from the Nami Restaurant?  Thanks

1 hour ago, panamashark said:

Your meal at the Tamarind looks wonderful.  We have been cruising on HAL for the past 6 years but have not been on a ship with the Tamarind or Nami.  Question regarding the 4 & 5 star discounts.  Do you get the discounts when ordering ala carte from the Nami Restaurant?  Thanks

Not sure as I am only a 2*. Perhaps someone else can answer this for you.

6 minutes ago, curtdesilets said:

How is the cruise so far?  We are going to be on this ship next week. 

So far it has seemed pretty much the same as any other cruise I have taken, except the staff and a very small minority of the passengers in masks.

• Like 3

Just now, Brentt_M said:

So far it has seemed pretty much the same as any other cruise I have taken, except the staff and a very small minority of the passengers in masks.

That's no big deal.  What is a big deal is you are on just the 2nd HAL cruise in like a year and a half.  Congrats on that! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

So we are just taking it easy and lounging in the room a bit this morning.  We will probably get up and about in a couple hours.

I slept in really late!  I mean, it’s only 7:30 and I usually get up at 6:30, but as I’m an easy coaster, that’s four extra hours!

See you at the M&M at 4, Brentt!

• Like 4