Costa Maya , Cozumel and Mahogany Bay thoughts ?

never_cruised

Cozumel never fails to disappoint:  whether you want to sit in the sunshine with a cold drink and watch passers-by, go to the beach, try parasailing, shop downtown, visit the ecopark or try diving...so much to do!

Mahogany Bay - it's all about the beach 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had a great time at each of these ports.   If Carnival has the "All Inclusive Passion Island" excursion in Cozumel it was a great day.  Mahogany Bay we rented a beach cabana both times and it was awesome.  In Costa Maya we did a private tour to the Chacchoben Ruins with Native Choice and it was absolutely spectacular.

5 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

We have had a great time at each of these ports.   If Carnival has the "All Inclusive Passion Island" excursion in Cozumel it was a great day.  Mahogany Bay we rented a beach cabana both times and it was awesome.  In Costa Maya we did a private tour to the Chacchoben Ruins with Native Choice and it was absolutely spectacular.

I second the Native Choice recommendation. We did the Mayan Experience tour which included lunch with a Mayan family.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

We took that tour also.  Great experience, good price and knowledgeable guide.

• Like 1

Cozumel is one of our favorite ports.  We've been there on about 10 of our cruises.  We've done some Carnival excursions, but our favorite thing to do now is take a taxi and spend the day at Paradise Beach.  The taxi is about $15 each way, plus tip and the entrance fee is $3 with a minimum $10 food/ drink purchase.  We always have chicken fajitas on the beach.  They are great!  There are several other beach clubs in the area as well.

Mahogany Bay is another favorite port, though we've only been there a few times.  There are lots of beach excursions.  We've been on excursions to west bay.  Beach is great, but the drive is pretty long.  The last time we took a ferry to Little French Cay.  We will probably do that again next April.

We are not as fond of Costa Maya.  It is a port built for cruises.  There are lots of shops at the port, but many of the owners are very pushy, much like Nassau.  I would recommend some type of excursion there.

The past two summers before last, we spent several weeks each summer in Cozumel. Paradise Beach was our favorite beach club because of the huge pool and large inflatables waterpark in the Ocean. But Cozumel really has the best snorkeling and diving in the Caribbean in my opinion. Look to book an excursion that goes to El Cielo if you do that.

Roatan (Mahogany Bay) and Cozumel are my two favorite ports.  We had such a great time with Roatan Ocean Adventures on a fantastic excursion!!  We have also done the Discover Scuba twice with Cozumel Diving and Parasailing.  Both of these companies have made our trips to these ports, multiple times!

Mahogany Bay Roatan is my favorite.  Has the best beach in the Western Caribbean and the best snorkeling.  The snorkeling from the beach is some of the best in the world.  Love the restaurants, the bars and bar hopping for Monkey La La drinks, and the people are amazing.  

On top of that, you have sloths and monkeys.  On top of that, you have some of the best zip lines you will ever experience.  We love it.  We usually get a private driver for the day for around $25 per person and heard to the western part of the island.  Stop and see the sloths on the way.  We also hit some stores as well.  

At Costa Maya, I would recommend Maya Chan.  All inclusive beach day 1750 reviews 5 star rated on TripAdvisor.

https://costamayabeachresort.com/

On Cozumel, I would recommend Nachi Cocum.   Limited amount of people can book here, unlike all of the other all inclusive places in Cozumel such as Mr Sanchos

https://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

On Roatan, I would recommend Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout Book it directly through them for 30.00 pp, it includes van transportation.

https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/

• Like 2

For Costa Maya, rent a golf cart from Mayahual Golf Carts and get in the beach clubs on the beach at Mahahaul.   Easy and fun.  You won't regret it.  Awesome family run business.  

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom.  All inclusive and they only allow 130 people in.  Great beach, food, drinks, and service - right to your private palapa on the beach.  

Really depends what you are looking for in Cozumel.

If you want chill, I agree with Nachi Cocom.

But if you want the action to be a little more lively, Paradise Beach.

When it is just my husband and me, we usually go to Nachi Cocom.  But on upcoming cruise with my sister, we are going to Paradise Beach.  

I highly recommend both places.   

3 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Sanchos in Cozumel, Ruins in Costa Maya, staying on the ship in Roatan, as I feel like I’ve done everything they have to offer and the wife recently went there for some work. 

Stay on the ship on Roatan?  NEVER!  HA HA  We fly down there for a week from time to time. We love it.  I can't ever imagine staying on the ship there.  I miss swimming with the turtles and seeing the whale sharks.  Gotta get back.

4 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Stay on the ship on Roatan?  NEVER!  HA HA  We fly down there for a week from time to time. We love it.  I can't ever imagine staying on the ship there.  I miss swimming with the turtles and seeing the whale sharks.  Gotta get back.

I’m not gonna lie, the place is amazing, gorgeous, the folks are beyond kind and caring. However, we did the stuff ya gotta do there, like monkeys, sloths, gardens, little key, big key, food. And yeah it’ll be great to see the animals again, I honestly just wanna spend a little bit more time on the ship and see what she’s all about. Do some street eats, shawarma, some bolt, a little bit of zip lining. However, I’ll send out the in-laws to grab me a bit of coffee. Buahahaha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

I’m not gonna lie, the place is amazing, gorgeous, the folks are beyond kind and caring. However, we did the stuff ya gotta do there, like monkeys, sloths, gardens, little key, big key, food. And yeah it’ll be great to see the animals again, I honestly just wanna spend a little bit more time on the ship and see what she’s all about. Do some street eats, shawarma, some bolt, a little bit of zip lining. However, I’ll send out the in-laws to grab me a bit of coffee. Buahahaha

100% understand.  We love going to Infinity Bay Resort on West Bay Beach to enjoy the facilities and snorkel from the beach.  We also like to rent a private sailboat for 4 hours and sail around the island.  Can't get enough.  The zip lines at South Shore Canopy are still the best.  I usually stay on the ship in Belize since we have been there so many times and stayed there for vacation.  We like hanging on the ship for that port.  Same with Montego Bay Jamaica.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

100% understand.  We love going to Infinity Bay Resort on West Bay Beach to enjoy the facilities and snorkel from the beach.  We also like to rent a private sailboat for 4 hours and sail around the island.  Can't get enough.  The zip lines at South Shore Canopy are still the best.  I usually stay on the ship in Belize since we have been there so many times and stayed there for vacation.  We like hanging on the ship for that port.  Same with Montego Bay Jamaica.  

Yessir! Totally get it. Some ports are like been there done that! Looking at you Grand Cayman! But some have that magic where you just can’t get enough! Roatan is that magic place for you clearly! Maybe if I had more time than a cruise has to offer I’ll feel the same, I know the wife loved the place, but not interested if we only spend like 7hrs there. She fell in love with the coffee and brought it home, so now we are addicts. For me it’s Grand Turk, but not really Grand Turk, but specifically Jacks Shack. No matter what, I’ll get off the ship and go pet those damn dogs and get me some jerk chicken! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Yessir! Totally get it. Some ports are like been there done that! Looking at you Grand Cayman! But some have that magic where you just can’t get enough! Roatan is that magic place for you clearly! Maybe if I had more time than a cruise has to offer I’ll feel the same, I know the wife loved the place, but not interested if we only spend like 7hrs there. She fell in love with the coffee and brought it home, so now we are addicts. For me it’s Grand Turk, but not really Grand Turk, but specifically Jacks Shack. No matter what, I’ll get off the ship and go pet those damn dogs and get me some jerk chicken! 

We are suppose to go to Grand Turk for the first time in June 2022.  Can't wait.  Jack's Shack is the place we will going to do.

• Like 1

I like all 3  but if you go to Costa Maya, go through the port town and out the gate of the parking lot 9where buses and excursions leave)and go  to the taxi stand, hire a cab to Mahahual, and go there. It's about 5-10 minute drive, the drinks are half the price, great food, good shops at a much better price. We like to go to the Tropicante. Cozumel is best for excursions, and I think Mahogany Bay is  a great beach day. Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

Where do you swim with turtles

2 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

We are suppose to go to Grand Turk for the first time in June 2022.  Can't wait.  Jack's Shack is the place we will going to do.

We were impressed with "The Wall" when we snorkeled at Grand Turk, March 2020 (next to last cruise out of Port Canaveral before covid shutdown) It was an excursion we booked in advance, only four guests on the boat, walked to it from the ship, saw turtles etc. not quite as many fish as you see in cozumel, loved the way the ocean just dropped of into darkness at the wall.  I believe we went to 3 stops.  You would still have time for Jacks.🤿😃

• Like 1