HAL requiring masks?

jayhawk66

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Actually I wouldn’t mind Hawaii. I had thought about it but it left my mind again.  It been about 32 years since I’ve been there.  I was 2 years old 😛😉.  It’s probably changed a bit.

We were all set to go there, but then found that there was really limited food service available at hotels, limited housekeeping, things like that.  We had friends who came back with negative reports.  My nephew lives on Oahu and he suggested we wait a bit.  Hence our willingness to float on the sea, as needed, to get the heck out of Dodge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

We were all set to go there, but then found that there was really limited food service available at hotels, limited housekeeping, things like that.  We had friends who came back with negative reports.  My nephew lives on Oahu and he suggested we wait a bit.  Hence our willingness to float on the sea, as needed, to get the heck out of Dodge.

Thanks for the information.  That doesn’t sound great.  Sometimes it just feels like this pandemic will never be over.  Hopefully I’m old enough that this will be the last one I’ll see.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Interesting. I have quite a few friends that have gone to Hawaii and I have hear none of those complaints.

While I would love to go to Hawaii again, the thing that has prevented me from booking that is that it is at least 10 hours by air from New York. (I guess six hours from NYC to Seattle is not much better, but is sounds better to me!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

A friend’s Brother was recently there on Business and said the same!  

• Like 2

Just now, Boytjie said:

Interesting. I have quite a few friends that have gone to Hawaii and I have hear none of those complaints.

While I would love to go to Hawaii again, the thing that has prevented me from booking that is that it is at least 10 hours by air from New York. (I guess six hours from NYC to Seattle is not much better, but is sounds better to me!)

Oh, that's good to hear.  We love Hawaii and are anxious to get over there.  Positive reports are definitely a good thing.

• Like 1

My biggest question is for a Saturday departure, can one get a test on Wednesday? How strict will the 72 hours be and is it from the boarding time or time of departure? Definitely want to take as early as possible to allow for results time and to retest if there is an issue or false positive. 

5 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

It should be, given at Walgreen's.  Need to get an appointment.

Read Walgreen's fine print - it says they will only give the Binax test if you are showing symptoms or have been exposed to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh, that's good to hear.  We love Hawaii and are anxious to get over there.  Positive reports are definitely a good thing.

We know several people that live on the islands or have visited recently - all say the same thing ... lines are terrible everywhere because of a shortage of workers, rental cars are obscenely expensive IF you can find one, shortage of many things (which has always been an issue in the middle of the Pacific), tempers are short, tourists are rude ... the list goes on.  We've been going to Hawaii since 1989, owned a second home on Maui for 10 years, and it's the last place we'd go for a land-based vacation at the moment.

YMMV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

It’s an Antigen test aka rapid test so check for that at your urgent care. 

Sharon - I see there a few of these near us (we're in the Boulder/Louisville area, to answer your earlier question).  Have you checked to see if they charge for testing by any chance?  They're closed here now so will call tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

I just wish these were accepted, it would be so much easier and cut down on the chance you'll catch it at the drug store as you're standing in line with people who really might have been exposed 😞

At Walgreen's you stay in your car for the test--it's drive-thru.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Sharon - I see there a few of these near us (we're in the Boulder/Louisville area, to answer your earlier question).  Have you checked to see if they charge for testing by any chance?  They're closed here now so will call tomorrow.

Walgreen's in Boulder does the tests for free--go to Walgreen's covid testing site.  My family had it done there 6 weeks ago for Hawaii.  They got the ID Now test.

Edited by 12cruise2
change word
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Walgreen's in Boulder does the tests for free--go to Walgreen's covid testing site.  My family had it done there 6 weeks ago for Hawaii.

There are no appointments currently available anywhere in the metro area (Denver-Boulder).  Believe me, I already checked.

Also, they won't do the rapid test for anyone unless you have symptoms or have been exposed.  Your family had to get a PCR test for Hawaii - it's unlikely we will have time to get the results back for the cruise.

Edited by zelker

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

If I remember correctly it’s free and to provide insurance information if you have insurance. Next Care really came in helpful for me recently when I had an ear infection and had a great experience. Appointments can be made online. I’m going to see if I can make ours this far in advance. I’m also going to be extra careful for the next 3 weeks and isolate as much as possible and mask when I can’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

We know several people that live on the islands or have visited recently - all say the same thing ... lines are terrible everywhere because of a shortage of workers, rental cars are obscenely expensive IF you can find one, shortage of many things (which has always been an issue in the middle of the Pacific), tempers are short, tourists are rude ... the list goes on.  We've been going to Hawaii since 1989, owned a second home on Maui for 10 years, and it's the last place we'd go for a land-based vacation at the moment.

YMMV

Same here in my Town.  Tourists are here all Summer and everyone is short-staffed and they are rude, complaining and go and bash the Restaurants on Google.  

We flew through ATL to SEA and over 65% of the Food places were closed and those open were packed with long lines.  The only thing we could get to eat was a Muffin at Dunkin Doughnuts.  We were starving by the time we arrived.  We went to a Cheesecake Factory and they were on a False Wait.   We lucked out and got a high-top in the Bar.  The wait for Tables where about an hour.  Half the tables were empty!  Our Server told us short-staffed in Kitchen by 3 Cooks and short on Servers.  No one exacts to work!  😢

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zgscl said:

My biggest question is for a Saturday departure, can one get a test on Wednesday? How strict will the 72 hours be and is it from the boarding time or time of departure? Definitely want to take as early as possible to allow for results time and to retest if there is an issue or false positive. 

HAL is saying 72 hours before embarkation, which I guess by definition means boarding -- not when the ship leaves port.  But they probably need to clarify.  I know some of the airlines have ditched the "72 hours" thing and now say three days, to allow for more variables.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, southernshug said:

This is weird but my Navigator app just went blank and said page can't be found. 

I've had nothing but trouble with my Navigator app. Tried uninstalling it, rebooting the phone, re-installing it, etc.. Now I just get an application error that something or other can't be found. I'm frustrated with it but trying to give it a chance to maybe get corrected "at corporate." I've never been able to see anything in my cruise except the unlimited laundry I bought, no dining, no shore ex, nuffin'. Sigh.

56 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm just looking at Hawaii at the moment or one of the new remodeled Amtrak trains. We really don't need to see Alaska for the umpteenth time, it was just an opportunity to get away from the stress for awhile....HA....stress....yeah right!

And I know Hawaii has testing requirements and maybe even some airlines, but at least we could be put on another flight should there be an unforeseen delay with the covid test, there's no room for flexibility with a cruise ship, that's what bothers me.  And I'm sure they'd find some way to blame the passengers on refunds.

If you were vaccinated in the U.S., have proof, as I understand it, there is no testing requirement right now.  https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Google tripadvisor forums hawaii and scroll through those posts for info on the Safe Travels program; you'll find info re registering your vaccination and being able to travel there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

HAL is saying 72 hours before embarkation, which I guess by definition means boarding -- not when the ship leaves port.  But they probably need to clarify.  I know some of the airlines have ditched the "72 hours" thing and now say three days, to allow for more variables.

Thanks hopefully they will clarify. Would hate to miss by 2 hours or something

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Our Walgreens and CVS is doing it by Appointment.  Drive-through!  

I just checked Walgreens in Seattle (since we are arriving on the 10th, four days early) and the closest location to where we are staying only showed availability for the 5th and 6th. I wonder if they don't schedule that far ahead.

5 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

It's definitely very frustrating.  Especially since the vast majority of us who are flying in from out of town have probably already booked our flights and may not be able to get tested and get the results prior to flying out.  I sure don't want to fly in awaiting results and possibly have to cancel my cruise and figure out how to get home without it costing a fortune. I'm supposed to fly in the afternoon before my cruise so it's extremely unlikely I can get tested AND get the results with still having time to cancel my flight without incurring a penalty if needed.

I suppose it pays to not jump onto one of the earliest sailings after resumption of operations. Give them some time to work the kinks out, and for things to settle down.

Glad we're not scheduled to sail until next April..

5 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

If you were vaccinated in the U.S., have proof, as I understand it, there is no testing requirement right now.  https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Google tripadvisor forums hawaii and scroll through those posts for info on the Safe Travels program; you'll find info re registering your vaccination and being able to travel there.

"Right now."  So hard to keep up.  They could change it back any time to need the negative test again.  Travel right now is not for the faint of heart.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zgscl said:

It says from embarkation, 72 hours prior to embarkation.

• Like 2