Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

splurge
noun
  1. an act of spending money freely or extravagantly.
    "the annual pre-Christmas splurge"
verb
  1. spend (money) freely or extravagantly.

So based on the dictionary...
    Vacations, cruise cabin choices, and travel in general do not qualify for the use of that word in most cases.  Therapeutic, calming, relaxing, enjoyable all can fit...but not splurge.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:12 PM, HicksRA said:

No way I could ever get my wife in one. Shes claustrophobic. 
Would never consider it. 

I am right there with her. I always knew I had a problem in tight spaces but several years booked a 7 day cruise inside cabin for the price. BIG MISTAKE. I managed it but I will never do that again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:
splurge
noun
  1. an act of spending money freely or extravagantly.
    "the annual pre-Christmas splurge"
verb
  1. spend (money) freely or extravagantly.

So based on the dictionary...
    Vacations, cruise cabin choices, and travel in general do not qualify for the use of that word in most cases.  Therapeutic, calming, relaxing, enjoyable all can fit...but not splurge.

So a cruise isn't a considered extravagant vacation for anyone? 🤨 Ok.

3 hours ago, BND said:

The average person spends $1200/yr on vacation.  Is that per adult,  per person?  If it's per adult then double it for a couple or family.  If it's per individual, including children multiply it times the number of people,   DH and I spend way more than $1200 each per year even just going to the beach for a few days.  What you really have to look at is that some people NEVER vacation and others only go every few years to get the true amount spent on each vacation.  What you're posting just proves that anyone can do anything they want with "statistics".

Lol that's what average is - some spend more some spend less but it gives you a decent idea of the amount spent. All the stats I used were similar, in this case per person. I figured people on cc knew that when it came to cruises the per night rates were per person. And thus would compare per person rates to per person averages.  Guess I shouldn't have assumed that. 

Yes if it was a family of 4 in one balcony room it likely is less than the average spent on vacation since third and fourth guest are cheaper, but even with that it's still the vast majority of the vacation amount spent on one week - and before you even get to excursions or transportation to the cruise. 

45 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Lol that's what average is - some spend more some spend less but it gives you a decent idea of the amount spent. All the stats I used were similar, in this case per person. I figured people on cc knew that when it came to cruises the per night rates were per person. And thus would compare per person rates to per person averages.  Guess I shouldn't have assumed that. 

Yes if it was a family of 4 in one balcony room it likely is less than the average spent on vacation since third and fourth guest are cheaper, but even with that it's still the vast majority of the vacation amount spent on one week - and before you even get to excursions or transportation to the cruise. 

I guess instead of "assuming" you should go beyond the basic numbers. I know what average is.  I also took statistics and probability in college and know how stats are used to show whatever someone wants them to.  What you posted  really doesn't tell the whole story.  Average means very little when looking at an individual vacation.  My average will be different than yours.  You're just making something up to fit your narrative that the average vacation cost is why people book interior cabins.  When discussing the "average" cost of a vacation on a cruise board, you need to look at the average cruiser, not the average vacationer.  That will give you a much more valid argument.  And, putting "LOL" before your post doesn't make it less condescending.

Edited by BND

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I guess instead of "assuming" you should go beyond the basic numbers. I know what average is.  I also took statistics and probability in college and know how stats are used to show whatever someone wants them to.  What you posted  really doesn't tell the whole story.  Average means very little when looking at an individual vacation.  My average will be different than yours.  You're just making something up to fit your narrative that the average vacation cost is why people book interior cabins.  When discussing the "average" cost of a vacation on a cruise board, you need to look at the average cruiser, not the average vacationer.  That will give you a much more valid argument.  And, putting "LOL" before your post doesn't make it less condescending.

Sorry none of the sites posted median amount spent otherwise I would have used that. And my argument has never been "that's why people book interiors". I took umbrage at another poster saying that balcony rooms aren't a splurge for most people. That poster must have a narrow group of people they surround themselves with if a cruise in a balcony cabin is considered a normal expense. While there are plenty who can sail in a balcony several times a year and thus it's not a splurge for them, there's plenty others that splurge once a year on a balcony and do staycations for the rest of their vacation or who can only go cruising every other year so they splurge on a balcony because the rest of their vacations are more basic. 

I'd prefer not to have an interior cabin, but as my mother pointed out, you're going to be doing so much on the ship (lounging, swimming, gambling, eating, drinking, etc) as well as doing excursions that you're really not going to be spending lots of time in the cabin.  Would I prefer to have a balcony cabin?  Sure.  I'd like to be able to sit out on the balcony in the morning eating breakfast or at night unwinding and gazing out over the water or up at the stars.  As I'm traveling with my mom and sister, I did not want to share a balcony cabin with them like I'd done on the past two cruises.  Unfortunately for me, this meant when I got my interior cabin, I had to pay the single supplement - but at least I'll get double Crown and Anchor Society points.  RCL really needs to look updating all their ships with cabins for single / solo travelers.  I know quite a few of the ships out there have these rooms, but not all (like Indy that I'm going on).

When our kids were younger, but finally old enough (teens) to be in their own room, we'd put them in an interior across the hall from us. Now our oldest daughter, 30, still sails in interiors, unless she gets an upgrade, which has happened a few times. 

6 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Sorry none of the sites posted median amount spent otherwise I would have used that. And my argument has never been "that's why people book interiors". I took umbrage at another poster saying that balcony rooms aren't a splurge for most people. That poster must have a narrow group of people they surround themselves with if a cruise in a balcony cabin is considered a normal expense. While there are plenty who can sail in a balcony several times a year and thus it's not a splurge for them, there's plenty others that splurge once a year on a balcony and do staycations for the rest of their vacation or who can only go cruising every other year so they splurge on a balcony because the rest of their vacations are more basic. 

The majority of people we've met on cruises that are in interior cabins do so because that way they can go on multiple cruises or vacations a year and that's their "splurge".  Some have convinced themselves they don't want a balcony cabin because they've never stayed in one which goes to whether it's a preference or not.  It can only really be a preference if they've tried something else to compare it to.  Everyone splurges on something on a cruise.  For example, while we stay in JS (GS several times also), we would never buy a drink package as that is a waste of money to us even though we can easily afford it.  Some will book the cheapest cabin possible and then turn around and book ships excursions in every port, buy drink and Wifi packages.  When it comes to just vacations, some people think pitching a tent in the woods for a few nights is one, but that wouldn't be me.  But, put their vacation against mine and average the cost, and you'll get something much closer to the average vacation cost, not average cruise cost.

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

So a cruise isn't a considered extravagant vacation for anyone? 🤨 Ok.

Not according to Webster.

We've seen folks spend much more $$$ on camping, a golf trip, and other things...and NONE of those folks called their vacations a "splurge" or "extravagant". Our next 7-day cruise (in a nice balcony on a large ship) will be $215/day for the two of us combined...the cost of a decent hotel room n many places...fails to qualify as any kind of "splurge". OK indeed.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Not according to Webster.

We've seen folks spend much more $$$ on camping, a golf trip, and other things...and NONE of those folks called their vacations a "splurge" or "extravagant". Our next 7-day cruise (in a nice balcony on a large ship) will be $215/day for the two of us combined...the cost of a decent hotel room n many places...fails to qualify as any kind of "splurge". OK indeed.

Again which was my point that you surround yourself with a narrow group of people. Because YOU say it's not a splurge and the people you know don't consider it one doesn't mean that most people see it that way. The plural of anecdote is not data. You've surrounded yourself with people that spending multiple thousands on a vacation is normal and not extravagant. Good for you, that doesn't make it the norm. Doesn't mean most people see it the same way you do. 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Again which was my point that you surround yourself with a narrow group of people. 

You have no clue.  I have hundreds of people I "surround myself with". Insults don't make you more right, no matter how often you repeat yourself.

And as the case 3 times before, you simply ignore all the facts that I and others have posted.  So be it.  You choose not to "get it".

No problem - we understand.

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

To those folks who wish to continue a civil dialog...I have one question:

Does the latest "artificial balcony" decor in the inside cabin appeal to you or not?

Not at all.  If I got "upgraded" to one, I'd just turn it off and leave it off.  I work overnight (nurse) and sleep during the day, and on a cruise I typically go to bed around 4am and get up around noon (just in time for my beloved Tutti Salad!).  The darkness of an interior is a plus to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

Some have convinced themselves they don't want a balcony cabin because they've never stayed in one which goes to whether it's a preference or not.  It can only really be a preference if they've tried something else to compare it to.

I'm one that prefers to cruise more often in an interior; I realize that's not everyone's jam, and I'm okay with that.  

As for preference and having tried something else, I've cruised in Interiors, Oceanviews, Central Park balconies, and Oceanview balconies. If doing multiple B2B/S2S cruises (like the five in a row I have coming up), I do like at least a CP balcony once in a while to be able to do some hand laundry.  

But I have a B2B scheduled in 2023 to celebrate my son completing his military service, and I booked a CP balcony for me (using my D+ discount) and an interior for him/GF, but we'll get extra keys and switch rooms on board, because he prefers the balcony and I prefer the interior. 

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

You have no clue.  I have hundreds of people I "surround myself with". Insults don't make you more right, no matter how often you repeat yourself.

And as the case 3 times before, you simply ignore all the facts that I and others have posted.  So be it.  You choose not to "get it".

No problem - we understand.

It's not an insult it's, as you said, a fact for you...apparently. I know people who given their circumstances would consider a cruise in a balcony a splurge. It's extravagant compared to their normal vacations. The fact that you don't know any at all speaks to a narrow group that you surround yourself with.

It's OK if you choose not to get that a lot of people don't see a $200 per person per night (average cost pre pandemic) vacation as run of the mill. You choose not to "get it". I understand. 

I don't mind an inside on the newer ships but hated the inside on some of the smaller ships. Smaller ship and very small cabin.Had to crawl to the end of the bed to go to the bathroom on the Sovereign! I was younger then so it was easier, but would be a bit tougher now!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

Not at all.  If I got "upgraded" to one, I'd just turn it off and leave it off.  I work overnight (nurse) and sleep during the day, and on a cruise I typically go to bed around 4am and get up around noon (just in time for my beloved Tutti Salad!).  The darkness of an interior is a plus to me.

That is understandable as your choice.

12 hours ago, smplybcause said:

It's not an insult it's, as you said, a fact for you...apparently. I know people who given their circumstances would consider a cruise in a balcony a splurge. It's extravagant compared to their normal vacations.

Then in like manner to your earlier comment....it appears to depend on who one "associates with" as to what they consider a "splurge". Using that kind of logic...any cruise would be a "splurge" for at least some % of the population. Value is a higher criteria that just price alone.

We hang out with everyday middle-income folks and also some with lessor financial means.  Most have been on cruises and nearly all have booked balconies (or above).  We've never heard even one of them describe a balcony choice as a "splurge" when researching and getting one at a competitive price.

As stated previously...an inside cabin is certainly fine for anyone who chooses one for whatever reason...yet given the choice to have a balcony instead (especially when one can get it at a price extremely close to an inside cabin)... a good wager would be that a majority of people would choose a balcony.

Happy sailing...

6 hours ago, waitingtogo said:

Funny you should ask. yes we prefer insides for numerous reasons. that being said our cruise in nov 21 is an aft balcony. our jan 22 cruise is an inside promenade. we prefer inside but we like them all..................

Exactly... I'm just happy being on a cruise!!!!