Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

I do not understand the repeated line about being quarantined on a ship precluding you from getting an inside cabin.  There will be no repeat of March 2020.  Protocols are in place to prevent exactly that from happening. The fear mongering of a repeat of the Diamond Princess is ridiculous.  There may be all kinds of reasons not to get an inside but an extended quarantine because of Covid isn’t one of them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I do not understand the repeated line about being quarantined on a ship precluding you from getting an inside cabin.  There will be no repeat of March 2020.

Would you like to hear my little story about Noro on a cruise?  Thankfully I had a suite.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:02 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That said, once most cruisers that have experienced a real balcony or suite...there's probably <1% chance they'd ever NOT book a balcony or above again. Just sayin'.

That statement definitely does not apply to the missus and I. We bounce back and forth between all categories.  The one style I tend to avoid is OV. Most have tiny windows. 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, Iamcruzin said:

We have booked oceanview cabins for most of our cruising career.  They offer natural light didn't cost much more than an interior. 

With the balcony discount, an OV often costs more than a balcony. Especially a Neighborhood balcony

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I'm guessing you did not come down with it?  I did, and if they hadn't quarantined me, I'm pretty sure I would have stayed in my room anyway.

I'm not sure if I did or not. I got dizzy the night of day 4 and slipped in bathroom. They took me to medical, released me, and said to quarantine 24 hours. But I was never a statistic and did not get the Noro diet restrictions.

I did get an FCC for one day value

5 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Do you remember that they had a variety show?  I mean, talk about cashing in on the one hit.

Sounds familiar, probably a summer fill in

Yep, Summer 1977, CBS

20210812_111758.thumb.jpg.b91c8c44d47c6330935cac8f977eb296.jpg

Pre Google method

20210812_111743.thumb.jpg.63df495cec7e505d31b7465637ad4d4a.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

2 hours ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

I'm not sure if I did or not. I got dizzy the night of day 4 and slipped in bathroom. They took me to medical, released me, and said to quarantine 24 hours. But I was never a statistic and did not get the Noro diet restrictions.

I did get an FCC for one day value

Personally I think it was food poisoning.  I still haven't had the paella.  That being said I was in bad shape.  Medical said Noro, and they had the drugs so who was I to argue.  We got three days of FCC.  All things considered I thought they did a great job taking care of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

With the balcony discount, an OV often costs more than a balcony. Especially a Neighborhood balcony

That's mostly only true on Quantum and Oasis class.  Balconies are usually more expensive on Vision class, Radiance class, and Voyager class (and maybe Freedom class?).  YMMV.

Edited by Another_Critic

On 8/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, tradercj said:

I have stayed in an interior cabin before and hated it because it was so dark. I am trying to see if I am missing something. If you prefer them, why?

I don’t prefer them, but the darkness does help a lot with getting a good nights sleep.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, DirtyDawg said:

For me, balconies are the Toyotas and insides are AMC Gremlins. 😁

And for my fellow Canadians;

For me, balconies are the Toyotas and insides are Lada's. 😊

(The Soviet made Lada's were never exported to the U.S. , lucky you!)

Oh no! I am a former Soviet and husband's family had several VAZ Zhiguli ( it is the same Lada, just not export variety) ...  Difference between inside room and balcony room is only absence of balcony, but not a quality unlike difference between Lada & Toyota. 🙂

Edited by Tatka

4 hours ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

That statement definitely does not apply to the missus and I. We bounce back and forth between all categories.  The one style I tend to avoid is OV. Most have tiny windows. 

We bounce back and forth all the time too.  Depends on climate (there's a whole big world outside the Caribbean), number of sea days, what can be seen from your balcony (fjords, Alaska, Panama Canal) or if you're just looking at a whole lot of water.  (We live on the water so that one's not worth a dime to us.)  If we lived in Kansas then it would have value.  We were upgraded to one of the better suites once but were not impressed.  Certainly nothing we would pay extra for.  Got a plate of appetizers every afternoon (who cares, there is plenty of food on the ship and I didn't even like most what was delivered - would much rather go up to the buffet and pick out my own snacks), the restaurant exclusively for the suites (quieter and better service but we're just fine without either) and a cabin with a bigger bathroom (again, who really cares?).  This suite was also directly under the pool deck (a location I never would have chosen).  Between daytime movies, music and scraping deck chairs we were very glad we didn't pay extra for this.  The only balconies that I really love and would always happily pay for are the Central Park ones on the Oasis class.  Love everything about those. 

The last time we stayed in an interior cabin was our first cruise in 1981 - and we vowed never again. Our next cruise in 1986 had a port hole - and we vowed never again. In1991, we discovered balcony cabins, and have never looked back🛳️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

Understandable.  Our approach is quality (cabin & ship) over quantity of cruises when given choices.

13 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Apparently supply and demand is a new concept for some folks.

A suite may be a "splurge" on one of today's cruise ships, but a balcony....one of the most common cabin types....uh...no.

Supply and demand has nothing to do with whether something is a splurge for most people. Demand is simply that - demand. 

There's a huge demand (or at least was at some point) for that stupid Supreme brand. Doesn't mean that spending something like $100 on a Supreme umbrella wouldn't be a splurge for the vast majority of the people. Or saying that because Disney is in high demand it's not a splurge for most families when they go there. 

Hell cruising alone can be a splurge for some people. Where they can only do it every few years. But hey, there's a demand for cruise cabins so that can't be true. /s

Spending is always relative.  I would think the concept of "splurge" depends on many things.  Some people are frugal by nature yet have plenty of money.  Some people are foolish with money and will spend more than they can afford.  Sometimes it is situational and a splurge is to celebrate a special occasion or recovery from a bad situation (illness, etc). Bottom Line:  How you spend money is your own business unless you ask me for a loan.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 7