Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

I'll book the cheapest balcony available over the most spacious spa cabin any day in my opinion. We have tried compromising on ships like Freedom of the Seas that have interior cabins with windows overlooking the promenade - they could be had at fairly cheap prices at one time. The room was fine but my curiosity always got the better of me - I'm one of those that loves to see where we are going and I couldn't help but feel like I was missing something by being inside. I feel the same way on airplanes. Some people like window seat and some like the isle... what can I say. 

47 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Maybe the S*x isn't taking place in the room?  🙂

Cruise lines prefer you play your Sax in your room. 

But some quiet sax on the balcony usually will not disturb the neighbours and is tolerated.  🎷 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I’m confused. Are we talking with him Red Sox, or White Sox? 

Well, as the Red Sox have won the World Series six more times than the White Sox, we must be talking about the Red Sox. 🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg

17 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Cruise lines prefer you play your Sax in your room. 

Naturally.  However, as this thread is about an interior room, that's not really an option.  I think you'll find the cruise lines tend to frown on somebody playing their sax on someone's else's balcony.  Especially without permission.  😉

• Like 1

I cruise mostly solo, I actually will prefer an inside room over an OV or balcony. I like the dark, and hate port windows. If I want a balcony it will have to be a suite as at least there are perks included with the increase price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Naturally.  However, as this thread is about an interior room, that's not really an option. . .   😉

So . . .you're saying there is no sax playing allowed in interior rooms?  Now that is a serious reason to book a balcony!  Is "solo sax playing" banned also?  Just kidding around, of course. 

I find it interesting that there has been very little mention of our favorite (by far) type of cabin: oceanviews.  We much prefer them to balconies.  We do like seeing and feeling the sea, and OVs are closer to the sea than balconies.

We've been in inside cabins several times, and did not find them claustrophobic or unpleasant, nor smaller than other cabins.  We've been known to leave the cabin tv on all night, muted, if we want to know when it's daylight or if we are in port.

Any time a ship is sailing full, it's obvious that many, many people have chosen to avail themselves of the inside cabins.

• Like 1

One of our cancelled cruises was going to be hubby's first inside.  It was just too cheap to spend nearly 4 times the cost for a balcony.  We basically got the cruise for 4 of us for the cost of 2 in a balcony.  But, that cruise was cancelled, and the next one (which had been an OV) as well, and we had all this FCC (which was a nightmare to get straightened out), so I decided to not risk it and dumped all of it into another balcony, but we got a great group rate so we paid only about $400 more than the insides with Virtual balcony, so it still is a good deal.

I do want hubby to try the inside, just to see if it'll work for him.  Because once I retire, I want to travel often!  The last cruise we took was port intensive (only one sea day) and we barely used our balcony so we could have easily done without and saved quite a bit of money.  Our next cruise (after the one in November) will have a balcony, and an upgraded one at that, because we'll have five sea days and will definitely get to use the balcony.

So my answer is: it depends.  Insides have their place and the utter darkness really does help me sleep (I need a mask or wake at the first bit of light), plus, quite often they're more stable so better for anyone that might tend to a bit of seasickness (which hubby does on occasion).

8 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I find it interesting that there has been very little mention of our favorite (by far) type of cabin: oceanviews.  We much prefer them to balconies.  We do like seeing and feeling the sea, and OVs are closer to the sea than balconies.

Yes, there are nice things about OVs for sure, especially if you are sailing in cooler weather.  I agree that I like how close to the water some of them are.  A bit of rough seas can be exciting with a lower level OV!  We  sailed on a few ships that had deep window seat type nooks that were wide enough for a small person to sit in.  I very much enjoyed sitting there and reading a book a with the occasional splash effect.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We've been in inside cabins several times, and did not find them claustrophobic or unpleasant, nor smaller than other cabins.  We've been known to leave the cabin tv on all night, muted, if we want to know when it's daylight or if we are in port.

Any time a ship is sailing full, it's obvious that many, many people have chosen to avail themselves of the inside cabins.

You should check out carnival's cove cabins. They are balcony cabins on Deck 2, close to the water.

7 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

As someone stated earlier, we like it dark when we sleep and it makes it easier to sleep in. When we sailed Alaska, we made sure we had an inside cabin because it wasn't dark very long. 

Good point.  Same goes for cruising Norway with the famed midnight sun.

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Now that the conversation has drifted here, I’ll point out one downside to inside cabins: Can’t join the balcony club if you don’t have a balcony. 

Between the fact that a lot of balconies are visible from other balconies and the bridge...

There's the fact that some of us aren't quite as "bendy" (to quote Phoebe) as we used to be lol.  

Edited by BND
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

So . . .you're saying there is no sax playing allowed in interior rooms? 

No...I'm just saying that when it was suggested you practice on the balcony, that is not an option in an interior.  Playing the sax is likely fine in whatever room you happen to have.  Although honestly, it seems like the rowing would get in the way, but, perhaps that's just me. 

23 hours ago, ryano said:

I dont mind an inside cabin at all.  Being I have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, they are always 1.5X-2X larger than their regular counterpart.  I could NOT sleep in some of the regular inside cabins Ive seen though, especially on the older ships 😳  Too claustrophobic.  Trying my first virtual balcony in 32 days as a solo cruiser.  

221204161_10219296674183264_5427140113383082494_n.jpg

They really look interesting- but we really enjoy the balcony.

We totally appreciate the frugal value of an inside cabin, and understand how some folks might want this choice. The solitary (confinement) approach works for some.

That said, once most cruisers that have experienced a real balcony or suite...there's probably <1% chance they'd ever NOT book a balcony or above again. Just sayin'.

14 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We totally appreciate the frugal value of an inside cabin, and understand how some folks might want this choice. 

That said, once most cruisers that have experienced a real balcony or suite...there's probably <1% chance they'd ever NOT book a balcony or above again. 

The folks who are frugal, are usually looking for value. If the there's no value in higher category cabins (regardless of how nice they are or great experience they've had), they'll still book insides.

• Like 2