Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

I dont mind an inside cabin at all.  Being I have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, they are always 1.5X-2X larger than their regular counterpart.  I could NOT sleep in some of the regular inside cabins Ive seen though, especially on the older ships 😳  Too claustrophobic.  Trying my first virtual balcony in 32 days as a solo cruiser.  

221204161_10219296674183264_5427140113383082494_n.jpg

• Like 1

I would never book an inside . I always book a balcony and i rarely use it.

I need to have some natural  light in the day time. And i like to step outside to see how hot it is in the morning.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tradercj said:

I have stayed in an interior cabin before and hated it because it was so dark. I am trying to see if I am missing something. If you prefer them, why?

For us its simply down to price. For me, its just a place to sleep, wash up and get changed. Dont spend long in the room. I guess as i am military and stayed in some god awful accommodation, in very hot sandy places an inside room is luxury lol. 

The cheaper inside rooms gives me more money to spend on family experience on board.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

My husband is the ideal inside cabin person. He loves the deep sleep in the dark. I love spending time on the balcony, he might step out there once and be done. He has a bit of a fear of heights so I think that plays into it. 

I've been told it doesn't matter where your cabin is, if you test positive you are moved to reserved isolation cabins. 

That's true but if the entire ship is quarantined and you don't test positive at least you will have fresh air and more space with a balcony. 

for us personally it mostly depends on the cost, however, I love to book balconies (or at least upgrade to them if the prices drop) on Princess because we do spend more time in the cabin than we do on Royal ships. Princess has less to do for families and their Royal+ class ships have a fantastic free on-demand movie collection. On RCI ships we are so busy having fun, that we only come back to the cabin to sleep/shower/change. So, we strongly prefer a balcony room on Princess ships because I spend a lot of time reading on a balcony. I have friends who always book a balcony (and sail on Princess exclusively), but never even use it. 😞

If the price difference between the balcony and the interior room is negligible, we go with a balcony. It's not because "we can't afford a balcony" like a previous poster said. We can easily afford it, but we prefer to get the biggest bang for our buck and that bang really depends on the product offered.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

Regarding not wanting an interior for quarantine...with the new protocols you'd only be quarantined in your room long enough for them to get a PCR test. If you're positive they move you to a new room and I'm pretty sure it's the interiors near the medical ward so it doesn't matter what you booked in that instance. It's not going to be one of those weeks in an interior like at the beginning of the pandemic. 

• Like 2

we did an inside cabin once, 20 years ago--that was enough....We actually use our balcony cabin. We put a quiet smooth jazz( quiet so we don't bother our neighbors) cd on our small dvd player and share a wine or cocktail every night on the balcony before we go to the lounge for happy hour. We probably use the balcony for several hours each day and it kinda reminds us that we are actually on an ocean cruise instead of being back in our college dorms. We do our homework in booking balcony cabins and get alot of bargains from doing just that and using a great TA that knows the ins and outs of the business. We wish everyone well not matter where you stay...B&B in clearwater.

My husband loves inside cabins for one primary reason..... sleep. He has been sleep-deprived for many years due to his work schedule.  He does not sleep late when we are on a cruise. It is just such a restful and deep sleep. 

However, going forward, I think it is likely we will book balconies, which is my preference. 

Whatever your stateroom, enjoy.  I am just looking forward to cruising again. 

I met a woman who preferred an inside cabin for the total darkness...which helped her sleep. She was a very frequent cruiser and the cruise line had a tendency of automatically upgrading her to a balcony... and she would have to go and switch it back.   Our last inside cabin was on the old Norway... back in the 90's... we spent little time in the cabin... we were young then... the only problem was that we could hear the anchor chain when it was being lowered... Ah the old days when Ocean liners... designed for transportation... were converted to cruise liners.. a destination themselves.

13 hours ago, tradercj said:

I have stayed in an interior cabin before and hated it because it was so dark. I am trying to see if I am missing something. If you prefer them, why?

My sister prefers them but she has epilepsy. Her favorite cabin is inside and right next to the elevator as she is mobility challenged too. We did quite a few insides. Looking out the window she says makes her a little dizzy but she loves to go go go. 

Not sure this counts. To me a balcony is just a large window as I rarely sit outside. Just I like seeing the ocean from the ac comfort.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My sister prefers them but she has epilepsy. Her favorite cabin is inside and right next to the elevator as she is mobility challenged too. We did quite a few insides. Looking out the window she says makes her a little dizzy but she loves to go go go. 

Not sure this counts. To me a balcony is just a large window as I rarely sit outside. Just I like seeing the ocean from the ac comfort.

Last time I sat out on the balcony was on a cloudy day, shady side of the ship... I had on sunscreen...but apparently forgot my face.... that night my face matched my red shirt.... I had to stay onboard and inside for several days before I dared go out again.... That is why Edge's IV cabin concept appealed to me... the problem there is that it is way too small... I don't spend much time outside in the Caribbean because I burn easily...which is one reason indoor masking is unacceptable to me on vacation.

We are balcony people but have done all of them except a owners suites and above.  
Insides are fine if you’re trying to save money.  They have great storage and the same size bathroom.  They are a little smaller but it’s not that noticeable.  Just set an alarm in case your internal clock doesn’t wake you up or you might miss something.  
Our last cruise pre covid was a balcony but we rarely used it.  We didn’t know you could look down on it from the pool deck when we booked it through a porthole in the floor.  ( Enchantment). Kind of creepy.  We did enjoy opening the door for fresh sea though.  
If money is an issue I’d rather cruise more often in an inside then rarely in a suite.  Right now because of covid and wanting fresh air without going up on a deck we’re sticking with balcony cabins or above.  
If it fits your budget don’t let an inside scare you off.

By the way, when we take the kids and grands on a cruise we book insides for them.  They do not complain.  Since we need 5 cabins….they know they can upgrade but none of them ever have.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tradercj said:

Save money,also because is very dark we love it when we take a nap in the afternoon.

Also a cabin is a place to sleep get dress and sleep.

We spent most of the time out,dancing shows exploring the ship.

Best regards,

Manny & Lydia LI NY

• Like 1

I have six cruises booked right now, and 3 of them are virtual balconies.  It will be my first time trying one, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I watched a few youtube videos to see what they are like, and being able to see outside, and the weather, is all I need.  Many of them have a faux railing to give the impression of a balcony outside.  Plus, they have curtains you pull shut in addition to adjusting the video.

Since I'm a solo cruiser now, I'm looking for the best prices I can get.  I have 3 VB's, 2 OV's, and one JS, with an average price of $160/nt, including port taxes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kearney said:

I don't spend much time outside in the Caribbean because I burn easily...

I have a super pale, red haired, freckled, stereotypically "Irish" kiddo. He has never burned in his life thanks to copious amounts of SPF50+, hats and rashguards. Without them he'd burn in seconds (like his daddy when he forgets to apply SPF), so - yes, it's possible to be outside in the Caribbean, enjoying the sun and the ocean, and yet NOT burn. 🙂

My father has learned to use both SPF lotions and rashguards in the last 10 or so years, and now he too can enjoy the sun in the Caribbean. Before SPF and rashguards, he had sunburn blisters within minutes and skin peeling for days afterwards. Gross and dangerous. He loves having a balcony, and actually slept on the balcony several times while cruising (at night, I mean).

• Like 1

I just booked another one this morning.  (I must be deranged, lol - actually it's a "backup plan" for a cruise I'm beginning to think won't sail.)  I booked an inside this time because the inside was $800something and the balcony was $2,700something.  Can I afford the balcony.  Sure, but it's not good value for money since everything else about the cruise (food, entertainment, ship's amenities, etc.) is exactly the same.  So I would be paying almost $2K just to have a balcony that I may end up using very little if it is too hot or too cold, rainy or we have loud or smoking neighbors.  Yes, I know they are not supposed to smoke but they sometimes do anyway, especially in Europe and Asia.

• Like 1