Room Service Experience on Recent Cruises 8/2021?

pris993

Wonder how cabin Room Service is on recent cruises?  Has the Room Service menu been expanded?  

We usually to breakfast via Room Service;  would also consider ordering from Crown Grill if possible.

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

Did they have the door hang tag for next day's breakfast?

Yes, they have the door hang tag.  We used it the last two mornings and wished we'd used it before.  It was the only consistent and efficient way to order that we found.  It came within the 30 minute window we checked and the order was correct each morning.  The first morning they even brought coffee because they thought we just forgot to order it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

The first morning they even brought coffee because they thought we just forgot to order it.

That's funny!  🙂  Thanks for the report.  I'm glad the old door hanger is still in use.

4 hours ago, rabin1 said:

I have never ordered room service and this may sound like a stupid question but if you order eggs would they be hot?

Only people sailing in full suites can routinely order from the full breakfast menu. The hang cards have limited options of beverages, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and pastries. There's an English muffin sandwich with bacon, egg, and cheese. That's the only hot food item on the menu. And when we have ordered them, they've arrived warm.

Some people have reported writing in requests and receiving them. Your mileage may vary. 

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

There's an English muffin sandwich with bacon, egg, and cheese. That's the only hot food item on the menu. And when we have ordered them, they've arrived warm.

One person in our room ordered the egg mcmuffin type sandwiches, and yes they were warm but good.  They come in a warming-type bag on a plate.

Funny enough, on the day we were coming into Juneau, we were up in the hollywood conservatory looking for whales.  A server came and dropped two of these sandwiches at our table.  She said the person who ordered them was not there and that she had to deliver them somewhere.  The person i was with ate one and said it was very hot and quite good.  Given the huge lag times everyone had with getting things they ordered by phone or app, I suspect the person gave up and left long before they arrived.

Edited by DuncanBlizzard
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geoherb said:

Some people have reported writing in requests and receiving them. Your mileage may vary. 

I have had success with this over the years, but asking for scrambled eggs is iffy.  They have never arrived what I would call "piping hot."  I often ask for a hard boiled egg.  I am not a fan of the pretend egg mcmuffin.

There seem to be room service pantries on the passenger decks??  We were on the Baja deck and we could smell food and a lot of commotion from behind the wall when we walked by that area.  

We were so surprised at how many more options were available on the room service menus.  It was really quick, too.  We never did get the coffees we ordered ... we thought maybe it was coming from elsewhere but it just never arrived.  It was ok because we rarely drink coffee anyway.  

They had items you could pay for from specialty restaurants as well.  We never did end up ordering any pay items but they were available.  Don't forget to look at the kids menu, too.  They had quesadillas and chicken tenders on their menu and they showed up hot.  The Egg Muffin, which we ordered once or twice also showed up hot.  Overall, we were quite pleased but, I can tell you, those room service staff members were running!!  I tried to tip them and they were already out the door!!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ordered breakfast three times on our just completed 8/8 Alaskan cruise. Came at requested time period and orders were correct each time. My friend loved the egg/muffin, me not so much but,  the fruit, pastry, cereal and drinks were very good. Ate in the restaurant the other mornings. Hint: your bacon will be soft and "rubbery" unless you order it crispy - and boy is it well done, crispy!!

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, we weren't.  We were just in a regular balcony cabin.  We were very pleasantly surprised at the expansion of the room service menu. 

Was it a written menu as in the past or did you have to access it on the TV or smart device?

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Was it a written menu as in the past or did you have to access it on the TV or smart device?

It was accessible via your TV or smart device only.  The great part is that you could order cocktails or specialty coffees by using your beverage package.  

The part that was disappointing is that you each had to order your beverages separately, otherwise you'd get charged for the second one.  Not sure if that will last ... as I mentioned, we did order some specialty coffees and never received them.  No harm done and we know some people were successful with those orders.  

• Thanks 1

I just came off the 8/8 cruise and ordered room service 4 times with completely different experiences.  The first time our luggage wasn't delivered on time to go to the dining room so I called the room service number from our cabin phone and ordered off the dining room menu and the food was delivered within 45 minutes. The second time I filled out the breakfast card your cabin steward leaves at night and put outside my door, it came right at 6:30AM and I selected the 6:30-7AM timeslot.   The third time we ordered from the TV and I ordered a burger with fries and some dessert.  The burger and fries came 90 minutes later and no dessert (which was a real bummer).  We were seasick that night so no one wanted to leave the cabin. The fourth time I ordered from dining services on the phone and it took almost 2 years but that was the day we were leaving glacier bay and the wave swells were 12 ft the captain said so I think a lot of people bailed on dinner and were ordering direct to cabin.  My order was correct though when it finally arrived. So mixed experience, you just have to be patient if you want room service anytime after the breakfast hours because it seems to get backed up at night. Oh, and in terms of food options, I thought there was a lot to choose from, more than I remember in the past. 

Edited by Esjung1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, we weren't.  We were just in a regular balcony cabin.  We were very pleasantly surprised at the expansion of the room service menu. 

That is good to hear.  A drawback on Princess has always been the limited room service menu, IMO, as opposed to other cruise lines.

25 minutes ago, Esjung1 said:

The fourth time I ordered from dining services on the phone and it took almost 2 years

Okay, a bit of delay I can understand but this is just really poor service!  I'd have to mention it in the post-cruise survey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, rabin1 said:

I have never ordered room service and this may sound like a stupid question but if you order eggs would they be hot?

The only eggs on the previous menu was an McEgg sandwich.  I have not ordered it.  There was a time when Princess honored written ins on the door menu.  I have ordered eggs over easy and scrambled and got them, they were as warm as at the buffet for me.  I may try written in again, to see if will serve. Last 2 cruised it did not work.  I love Room Service for breakfast. 

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

There seem to be room service pantries on the passenger decks??  We were on the Baja deck and we could smell food and a lot of commotion from behind the wall when we walked by that area.  

We were so surprised at how many more options were available on the room service menus.  It was really quick, too.  We never did get the coffees we ordered ... we thought maybe it was coming from elsewhere but it just never arrived.  It was ok because we rarely drink coffee anyway.  

They had items you could pay for from specialty restaurants as well.  We never did end up ordering any pay items but they were available.  Don't forget to look at the kids menu, too.  They had quesadillas and chicken tenders on their menu and they showed up hot.  The Egg Muffin, which we ordered once or twice also showed up hot.  Overall, we were quite pleased but, I can tell you, those room service staff members were running!!  I tried to tip them and they were already out the door!!  

We always get the tip out so readily available when we sign we received the tray.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Okay, a bit of delay I can understand but this is just really poor service!  I'd have to mention it in the post-cruise survey.

I just realized I said 2 years, oops it was 2 hours but still bad.  And yes, I completed my survey yesterday and made detailed notes on some of the things that were disappointing.  On the flip side, I made sure to recognize 5 people that really out as providing great service and clearly really enjoyed their job. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, pris993 said:

Wonder how cabin Room Service is on recent cruises?  Has the Room Service menu been expanded?  Yes

We usually to breakfast via Room Service;  would also consider ordering from Crown Grill if possible.

There are some items on the newly expanded room service menu. If there's one from CG, it would cost extra.

15 hours ago, pris993 said:

We always get the tip out so readily available when we sign we received the tray.  

That’s the thing right there … we used to sign for it and leave a tip right there on the back of the form.  They never took it out, though like they used to do.  The third time we ordered it, the guy didn’t even have time for us to sign it.  I’m not sure he understood English really well, though.  Next time, we will have cash out and ready to go.