Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) COVID-19 test Walgreens Accepted?

asctony

I know this has been asked numerous times. However, our local Walgreens only offers:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) COVID-19 test and the PCR.

We are going on Edge 9/11 and will Celebrity accept: Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) COVID-19 test?

My local Walgreens does not offer the other Rapid Antigen Test. 

Thanks for your help. 

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Consult the Celebrity website where the FAQ clearly spells out their current requirements.  

It also is highly dependent upon your destination - which may vary from X's requirements!

Thank you for your help. 

The concern I have is that the Celebrity Site shows:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test

Walgreens shows 3 tests: 

PCR, Antigen and the one I am questioning (Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) ) which maybe different than the PCR or NAAT.

That is why I am asking the question hoping that someone had this test and it was accepted by 

Celebrity. 

I hope this clears up my reason for asking and the research I have done with all the letters I have received from Celebrity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asctony said:

Thank you for your help. 

The concern I have is that the Celebrity Site shows:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test

Walgreens shows 3 tests: 

PCR, Antigen and the one I am questioning (Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) ) which maybe different than the PCR or NAAT.

That is why I am asking the question hoping that someone had this test and it was accepted by 

Celebrity. 

I hope this clears up my reason for asking and the research I have done with all the letters I have received from Celebrity. 

I am asking the same question as I sail Sept 4th on the Edge.  I just emailed Celebrity this question, telling them that it doesn't state Antigen or PCR.  I will let you know once I receive an answer.  I'm afraid to call, i'd like it in writing if the answer is yes.

2 minutes ago, Gambler458 said:

I am asking the same question as I sail Sept 4th on the Edge.  I just emailed Celebrity this question, telling them that it doesn't state Antigen or PCR.  I will let you know once I receive an answer.  I'm afraid to call, i'd like it in writing if the answer is yes.

You already have it in writing. The ID NOW Test is an Abbott brand test. 

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html

The FAQ says: 

Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You already have it in writing. The ID NOW Test is an Abbott brand test. 

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html

The FAQ says: 

Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

Yes, I did check the ID Now and it is an Abbot test as you say. It is just that sometimes you cannot read between the lines or assume that one test is the same as what Celebrity or RCI wants. You really cannot count on calling Celebrity to get a correct answer either. 

Thank you all for your help. Maybe this may help someone else, too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You already have it in writing. The ID NOW Test is an Abbott brand test.   https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html

The [Celebrity] FAQ says: "Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes)."

You have a lot of patience, "Jeremiah1212."  Thank you.  You have posted this information at least three times during the last two or three weeks, but people keep asking -- instead of searching for and reading threads. 

Based on your prior advice, we underwent a test at Walgreen's about ten days ago, to see what it would be like and to view the output.  The test went smoothly, and the output was a formal, printable PDF, containing all the info that Celebrity requires.  We will have the same test done before a future cruise.

The X FAQs say that any properly administered NAAT (such as PCR, etc.) or Antigen (including Rapid) test is acceptable.  The Walgreen's (Abbott IDNOW) test is identified as a (rapid) NAAT test, if we recall correctly.

• Thanks 1

I see that Norwegian Cruise Lines is offering a  Covid test (I assume for a fee) prior to boarding in Seattle.  This would seem to be a good opportunity for Celebrity to follow suit.  It would relieve guests of the uncertainty of being able to obtain tests or test results prior to sailing.

• Like 1

After many phone calls to Walgreens and Celebrity, no definite answer I looked up the Walgreens test which is Nucleic Antigen test (Got that from the Pharmacist at Walgreens) . That is the NAAT celebrity said is ok to get. So Walgreens IDNOW is acceptable.

I think t was suggested that CC put this info in a Sticky. That may have solved all of these extra postings/questions. Sticky Updated by one person as required. Thus, one place to look to see valid info.

JMHO

Thanks to all of you and the patience, "Jeremiah1212."  Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, asctony said:

I think t was suggested that CC put this info in a Sticky. That may have solved all of these extra postings/questions. Sticky Updated by one person as required. Thus, one place to look to see valid info.

JMHO

This please. But it will need to be kept up to date AND everyone should keep in mind that this applies to cruises leaving from US. Entry into US by non-US citizens, port visits and entry into non-US ports by US citizens seem to have slightly different requirements, particularly timing and whether or not a PCR is necessary.

The Celeb guidance is actually well written, although it may still be a bit confusing to a layperson.

Basically, Antibody tests (Ab tests) are not acceptable- they only demonstrate prior infection or vaccination. 
The tests for viral protein antigen and viral RNA are tests of actual viral infection - vaccination will not cause a positive test. Per Celeb guidance, the key is observed collection- someone, either in person or through telehealth, has to observe you collecting the swab or swab your nose (saliva too, if observed). As far as I can tell, all NAAT tests, including PCR and the Abbott IDNow isothermal PCR, and all commercial Ly available rapid antigen tests are acceptable.

The results must show the date and time of collection and the type of test performed.

2 hours ago, asctony said:

JMHO

That would be very helpful.  I've posted myself, after reading through the boards and trying to find out what the heck is needed.  And to make it even more confusing, it was even less clear in the beginning.  I saw posts early on that said Celebrity would not accept that ID Now test.  Apparently that was not exactly true, it was just that Celebrity did not clearly spell it out in their initial wording.  For those of us like me who are laypeople it is very difficult to try to understand and interpret this stuff.   And since Celebrity does not offer any pre-boarding testing, fee or no fee, it is extremely stressful in hoping that #1:  you can get a test scheduled, #2:  it is an acceptable test, and of course #3:  that you get a negative result!  Really want to find that out before I get on a plane a couple days before.

Sweating out results right now.  DH and I got tested this morning at Walgreens at the same time.  Got my (negative) results back in 30 minutes or so.  Over two hours have passed and no word on DH.  We're pacing the floors🙄.  Hope it's just an administrative delay and not a positive result!  Tried to call the pharmacy - no help at all.  Called the group handling notifications (PWN Health) and again no help - could not get to a live person to help and they want you to send an email. 

10 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sweating out results right now.  DH and I got tested this morning at Walgreens at the same time.  Got my (negative) results back in 30 minutes or so.  Over two hours have passed and no word on DH.  We're pacing the floors🙄.  Hope it's just an administrative delay and not a positive result!  Tried to call the pharmacy - no help at all.  Called the group handling notifications (PWN Health) and again no help - could not get to a live person to help and they want you to send an email. 

Wish you luck. You will get your results. What exact test do you take?

Stay Safe! 

25 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It's very possible that the tests are done in batches. You and your hubby could have been in different batches. When one test is positive in a batch, it is divided into smaller and smaller groups until the positive test(s) is/are isolated. This happened to one of my sons a few months ago. The rest of us had our negative PCR results about 12 hours before that son did. 

Hang in there. You've got this. 

Thanks for the support, everyone😀.  DH finally got his results and we are both negative .  Woo hoo!  it took several hours longer for his than mine but the results were worth it.  For the person who asked, it was the Walgreens ID Now test.  They promise results in 24 hours but most people get them much sooner.  I've heard about that batch testing thing - maybe that is what happened.  

• Like 4

So, we had the Rapid ID NOW test at Walgreen's this AM.  We got our negative results in about an hour or so.  The print out states that it is a NAAT test.  That should take anyone's worries away, because it's stated on the Celebrity website as accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...