Cruising with a child under 12

Has anyone cruised with a child under 12 since the restart? We understand that we have to have an excursion through the ship booked if she's getting off with us which is completely fine. My question however is once we are off of the ship with the ship excursion is there anyway to also go to the stores in town? For example in Skagway we are going to do the Musher camp from 11-2 but we are in Skagway from 7AM-6PM and my husband I would still like to go to town too. Would we need to go on the excursion, take her back to the ship and put her into the kids club and then go back off or could she come to the stores with us? She's only 6 so she can't get vaccinated of course. 

Also for the kids club is there a limit on how often she can be there? We usually cruise Norweigan and she basically lives in Kids club, it's her absolute favorite part of the cruise however I'd heard different things about cruising right now with the kids. It's a 7 night cruise if that makes a difference. I've heard 15 hours, 21 hours, 20 hours and then on day 3 you can book as much as you want. Also when we are in Juneau it's our anniversary so we are doing an excursion on our own and having her stay at kids club so would that automatically take up 6 of her allotted hours? I want her to have as much fun on vacation as possible after so long without it! Any insight would be great! Thank you! 

We will be on with our three grandkids in two weeks so I don't have personal experience but from the reports they are giving you a certain number of visits that you have for the entire cruise.  Sounds like four hour blocks.  I don't know when you cruise but I can let you know in a few weeks.

It is my understanding if you are in a bubble tour you cannot go off on our own.  

There was a family put off a ship I believe in St Martin who left the group to go into shops.  They are pretty strict about staying in the bubble….

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

It is my understanding if you are in a bubble tour you cannot go off on our own.  

There was a family put off a ship I believe in St Martin who left the group to go into shops.  They are pretty strict about staying in the bubble….

The Protocols also say that vaccinated parents can go ashore (without excursion) if the child is in the kids club.  Now my question which will get answered in a few weeks will be leaving Papaw onboard with the littles and Mom and Memaw go ashore to shop...

Edited by mauraoel

Just now, mauraoel said:

The Protocols also say that vaccinated parents can go ashore (without excursion) if the child is in the kids club.  Now my question which will get answered in a few weeks will be leaving Papaw onboard with the littles and Mom and Memaw go ashore to shop...

yes absolutely!!!  If the unvaccinated person is not with them then they can come and go as any other vaccinated person…

• Like 1

That all makes sense! I wonder if the time block limit includes the late night that is an extra charge...we will have grandparents with us too but they want to have extra fun too! We are leaving on Friday 🙂 I'm guessing we will just plan the times in kids club for evenings. I thought I read they open it up later in the cruise which is what I'm hoping someone who has already gone can confirm before we go! 

Just off odyssey on saturday...

You must stay with your booked excursion and follow the rules.

Adventure ocean gave us 15 hours upfront and then we could add from day two on.  My kids went a lot...everynight from 7-10pm and 2-5 on sea days and the Costa Maya when we stayed on.  Make friends with the Adventure Ocean staff...and go right to it when you first board!!!  

They also allowed my 5 year old to age up to the 6-12 age group which was great b/c he got to stay with his older siblings!

• Like 3

We won't be cruising until end of April 2022 with our extended family that will include 2 kids under 12. Hoping by then they can be vaccinated and we can cruise as close to normal as possible with regards to excursions....and off ship on our own.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

On Allure last week you got 12 hours of time throughout the week to assign when you boarded. After everyone had a chance to get times that first day you could book more. 

Do you know if it filled up? Like did they open up the chance to book more?

12 hours ago, soozles said:

Is the babies and tots program running too? My kids will be 2 at the time we sail, so still too young for adventure ocean. But they would definitely need some chance to blow off some energy 

Yes, it was open on Allure last week

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kmcg8r said:

Do you know if it filled up? Like did they open up the chance to book more?

Last week on Allure a few time slots did fill up, mostly evenings. After everyone had a chance to register for time on day 1 they allowed families to make additional reservations 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Does anyone know  if the ship excursions are limited capacity due to covid?  I never do ship tours I always book private tours.  It seems to me a child in a private tour is safer than being loaded onto a bus of 50-100 other people.

It isn’t about safety, it is about contact tracing and limiting the number of locals you come into contact with. 

The two excursions we did last week both had relatively low numbers. 

12 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:

It isn’t about safety, it is about contact tracing and limiting the number of locals you come into contact with. 

The two excursions we did last week both had relatively low numbers. 

To be honest if that is the issue then no one should be able to get off on their own.  Anyone that is vaccinated can get off on their own and come in contact with locals and still possibly get infected.  I completely understand trying to minimize infections but sorry some of these protocols do not make sense.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:57 PM, jacobtsf said:

On Allure last week you got 12 hours of time throughout the week to assign when you boarded. After everyone had a chance to get times that first day you could book more. 

We are travelling on Allure in December with our  3 year old granddaughter.

So - her parents will get "12 hours" of time to use Adventure Ocean but then can schedule more time? Did it ever fill up and you weren't able to get time? Did they make the kids wear masks the whole time? 

thanks for any additional info about the kids club. 

12 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Does anyone know  if the ship excursions are limited capacity due to covid?  I never do ship tours I always book private tours.  It seems to me a child in a private tour is safer than being loaded onto a bus of 50-100 other people.

I don't get this kind of logic. The protocols make perfect sense.

When you are on a bus with a ship excursion, you are with your same cohort that you are sailing with, all vaccinated over 12 and everyone tested .  Royal Caribbean knows where you are going and who you have contact with. They can control where you are going and who you come in contact with.

With a private excursion, you could just as easily be visiting friends who live in the port city who organized a party of 100 of their best unvaccinated friends.  And then have the unvaccinated under 12 carry the Delta variant back onto the ship, especially since the Delta variant is much more easily carried and shed by children.  Royal Caribbean would have absolutely no clue what people on private excursions do and where that unvaccinated child had been.

And since every adult and child over 12 will be vaccinated, and available to do their own thing, the chances that you are going to get 50-100 people on a bus would be low.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, cured said:

I don't get this kind of logic. The protocols make perfect sense.

When you are on a bus with a ship excursion, you are with your same cohort that you are sailing with, all vaccinated over 12 and everyone tested .  Royal Caribbean knows where you are going and who you have contact with. They can control where you are going and who you come in contact with.

With a private excursion, you could just as easily be visiting friends who live in the port city who organized a party of 100 of their best unvaccinated friends.  And then have the unvaccinated under 12 carry the Delta variant back onto the ship, especially since the Delta variant is much more easily carried and shed by children.  Royal Caribbean would have absolutely no clue what people on private excursions do and where that unvaccinated child had been.

And since every adult and child over 12 will be vaccinated, and available to do their own thing, the chances that you are going to get 50-100 people on a bus would be low.

Sorry but they do not make sense.  Even if everyone is vaccinated you can still get it and spread it.  Even if you tested negative 2-3 days before the sailing you could easily get infected before you get to the ship.  All vaccinated guests can go ashore on their own and come in contact with whoever and also get infected (and not even know it because they are symptom free) and bring it back to the ship and infect others. 

By the way have you ever seen the ships tours?  They are always big busloads of people that is why we never take them.  I truly hope they have limited the number on the excursions.  Also if you look, many of the ship's excursions go to public places so anyone could still come into contact with others not from the ship.  

11 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

To be honest if that is the issue then no one should be able to get off on their own.  Anyone that is vaccinated can get off on their own and come in contact with locals and still possibly get infected.  I completely understand trying to minimize infections but sorry some of these protocols do not make sense.

Because vaccinated people are less likely to get covid. By far. Though delta has bumped down the numbers. Still less likely to be infected than nonvax.

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Because vaccinated people are less likely to get covid. By far. Though delta has bumped down the numbers. Still less likely to be infected than nonvax.

I understand that but they still can get it and not even know.  Also we don't know the real number of people who have been vaccinated and gotten it because in a lot of cases there are no symptoms.  Children also were less likely to get it and spread it.

21 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Sorry but they do not make sense.  Even if everyone is vaccinated you can still get it and spread it.  Even if you tested negative 2-3 days before the sailing you could easily get infected before you get to the ship.  All vaccinated guests can go ashore on their own and come in contact with whoever and also get infected (and not even know it because they are symptom free) and bring it back to the ship and infect others. 

By the way have you ever seen the ships tours?  They are always big busloads of people that is why we never take them.  I truly hope they have limited the number on the excursions.  Also if you look, many of the ship's excursions go to public places so anyone could still come into contact with others not from the ship.  

I am sure it does not make sense and seems unfair to parents of children under 12 who are chafing at having restrictions imposed.  

However, in terms of science, it makes perfect sense.

Edited by cured

2 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I understand that but they still can get it and not even know.  Also we don't know the real number of people who have been vaccinated and gotten it because in a lot of cases there are no symptoms.  Children also were less likely to get it and spread it.

Not so much with the Delta variant.  That is a whole 'nother ballgame.  All you have to do is look at the number of schools already in quarantine, especially in the south with the lower vax numbers, and school just started a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1