CDC Urges Americans to Not Come to Canada

zook50

The Globe and Mail just reported that the CDC is now urging Americans to "reconsider travel" to Canada, due to what they call "high" levels of COVID-19 infection.  All I can say is HOW IRONIC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, zook50 said:

The Globe and Mail just reported that the CDC is now urging Americans to "reconsider travel" to Canada, due to what they call "high" levels of COVID-19 infection.  All I can say is HOW IRONIC.

No words.  And I’m Canadian. Lol 

• Like 1

Well if you don't test then you aren't positive right?

That seems to be the thing in the U.S.

Don't say you have symptoms. Don't get a test. Then you don't have Covid.

Also.. the stress with Americans needing a test and having issues reflects the fact that many states were reducing or eliminating testing.

No testing. No Covid. We're back to normal.

Yep......

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zook50 said:

I laughed out loud when I saw this one!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zook50 said:

That is "the pot calling the kettle black!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, zook50 said:

The emperor has no clothes.

• Haha 1

Reading more following this CDC directive.  Consider the following:   the 7 day average in the US is around 142,000 and in Canada, it's 2,407.  40% of those eligible are unvaxxed in the US; it's under 25% in Canada.  There are approximately 100,000 daily cases in the US and 2000 in Canada.  Florida alone every day has 5 times as many cases as Canada, yet has 1/2 of Canada's population.  Not only Canadians, but many Americans are shaking their heads over the CDC's advice. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Looks like they’ve corrected the advisory to level 3 not 4.  I don’t know how to attach a link so not sure if this will work from our Global news.  

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1432759389287587840?s=21

https://globalnews.ca/news/8154807/covid-coronavirus-united-states-canada-travel-advisory/

Chuckle Chuckle..snort snort.... Americans can not come to Canada unless they are fully vaccinated anyways.... Hmmmm guess the US has a change of heart re the efficacy of their vaccines???? Especially J&J..... Jst sayn...........

I wonder why they haven't issued an advisory re letting Cdns fly into their country if we are "too hot to handle"?

I bet the cruise lines are getting a little shakey in the knees......

FYI, I can now personally say... I do know of 1 person who got Covid here, and now know of 3 people who are  positive, and very sick, and are double vax'd in the US.

And to add another little FYI (whispered very quietly), my grand daughters passed on their summer head colds rather nicely to all us adults. So be prepared, we do have a virus in Ontario making it's rounds, and it's not Covid. (Mild sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, stuffiness. No fever, and all over and done in 4 days, and not allergies) Apparently Emerg and clinics are starting to show this activity too.... just in time for school!!!!

Edited by 3Shelaghs
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:02 PM, zook50 said:

The Globe and Mail just reported that the CDC is now urging Americans to "reconsider travel" to Canada, due to what they call "high" levels of COVID-19 infection. 

Suits me just fine. Today's data from Johns Hopkins University show that we're not actually the problem:

US

Canada

% of population fully vaccinated

53.05%

67.47%

Number of new cases over past month

Number of deaths over past month

It's the US that has the high rate of infection right now. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Suits me just fine. Today's data from Johns Hopkins University show that we're not actually the problem:

US

Canada

% of population fully vaccinated

53.05%

67.47%

Number of new cases over past month

Number of deaths over past month

It's the US that has the high rate of infection right now. 

Shhh.. stop posting actual data. It's better to pretend that Canada is a problem.

I also dare you to post that in one of the cruiseline forums full of Americans 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Shhh.. stop posting actual data. It's better to pretend that Canada is a problem.

I also dare you to post that in one of the cruiseline forums full of Americans 🙂

This US American wishes we had had a real leader when this whole mess began. Not only would we be in better shape, the whole world would have been in better shape.  For some reason, other countries tend to follow our lead, even when our lead is demonstrably terrible.

I mean, literally, anyone else would have been better. Any of the indistinguishable 15 candidates between the guy who won and Kasich would have been better. Kasich would have been better. The dude who cuts my grass every Tuesday morning would have been better. The gal who bags my groceries would have been better. Anyone else would have taken this whole mess seriously in early 2020, and the entire planet would be in better shape today. 

I constantly feel as though I owe the entire planet an apology. Yet, I never voted for the guy. I never would. Nonetheless, I am sorry to have subjected the planet to him. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MamaFej said:

This US American wishes we had had a real leader when this whole mess began. Not only would we be in better shape, the whole world would have been in better shape.  For some reason, other countries tend to follow our lead, even when our lead is demonstrably terrible.

I mean, literally, anyone else would have been better. Any of the indistinguishable 15 candidates between the guy who won and Kasich would have been better. Kasich would have been better. The dude who cuts my grass every Tuesday morning would have been better. The gal who bags my groceries would have been better. Anyone else would have taken this whole mess seriously in early 2020, and the entire planet would be in better shape today. 

I constantly feel as though I owe the entire planet an apology. Yet, I never voted for the guy. I never would. Nonetheless, I am sorry to have subjected the planet to him. 

Not quite sure what you are on about as your present leader has been at it about the same time that Canada has been vaccinating - with obvious inferior results. 50% vs 76% totally vaccinated. 

‘This ridiculous CDC decision is made under this leader not the last.

And personally, my family will be forever grateful for Operation Warp Speed and the lightning development of these vaccines, particularly since Canada is a country that had no capability to develop our own vaccine and is completely reliant for our vaccines.
So no need to apologize on your part. We owe many thanks for the speedy development and encouragement of these vaccines. 
See the article by our CBC, no lover of anything conservative:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/operation-warp-speed-trump-pfizer-moderna-vaccine-1.5806820

• Thanks 1

As an American citizen who lives in Canada, this makes me livid.  It is all political b.s.  The White House is playing politics with this because they don’t want to open the Southern Border (to legal crossings) so they have to fake a reason to keep the Northern Border closed.  Those of us who are fully vaccinated are just pawns in the game of the White House and Ottawa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hubbards said:

As an American citizen who lives in Canada, this makes me livid.  It is all political b.s.  The White House is playing politics with this because they don’t want to open the Southern Border (to legal crossings) so they have to fake a reason to keep the Northern Border closed.  Those of us who are fully vaccinated are just pawns in the game of the White House and Ottawa.

I have not seen anything that suggests the US has decided to treat the southern and northern borders the same with respect to covid. Has the Whitehouse actually made a statement to that effect or is this just random speculation?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broberts said:

I have not seen anything that suggests the US has decided to treat the southern and northern borders the same with respect to covid. Has the Whitehouse actually made a statement to that effect or is this just random speculation?

Made a statement?  They would never say it out loud.

1 hour ago, hubbards said:

Made a statement?  They would never say it out loud.

So it's simply people applying their own filter to the situation. One might as validly claim that the US made the advisory because the moon is made of cheese.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hubbards said:

As shifty as both Washington and Ottawa are (Washington more so), I don't (yet) see any of this as a game. We're in the middle of a fluid, volatile public health crisis.

Is there anything in US policy or law that requires it to treat its borders with Canada and Mexico equitably?