Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

16 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Not necessarily.  Empty rooms might be vacant because people upgraded or cancelled, not just because they are leftovers.  While I'd be a little leery about upgrading to OV because you could get a porthole on deck 4, not sure that I'd consider any balcony as terrible.  But I'm not that picky.

You may be right.  I just don't see us using a balcony much (if at all).  I've been on several AK cruises, and the most enjoyable part was always just sitting in the observation lounge and enjoying the panoramic views, coupled with the guy coming around and refreshing my cocktail whenever needed.  If I was on a balcony down on deck 8, I would likely be cold and tired of constantly taking the stairs or elevator anytime I needed something.  I would wind up spending my time in the lounge (as usual) and wasting the money on the balcony.  Also, on our next cruise we're traveling with another party, so gathering in the lounge will work a lot better than squeezing onto a small balcony.  To each their own. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We booked an inside guarantee through a TA and have not gotten the upgrade email.  We are sailing on the Breakaway on 10/10.  Do you think we will get the email?  Haven't sailed on NCL with the bidding system.  Use to just getting an upgrade but I see that's now how it works these days!

Edited by kbr

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

what is the upgrade like going from a studio category to the inside or oceanview?

Studio cabins are not eligible for the Upgrade Advantage program.

You can (usually) buy your way directly into an upgrade from any cabin, including Studios. I was booked in a Studio for Bliss's October cruise, then bought my way into a balcony because prices dropped. They dropped again after final payment. Although I was then eligible to bid, the minimum for a Club Balcony was $125 pp (so, $250 for solos). Instead I paid $58 more and bought my way into one.

So always check the current pricing. It may be cheaper to upgrade directly than to bid.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jennjess said:

I put in a bid for a balcony from an outside but yesterday noticed that the price had dropped so that my bid and the actual upgrade cost were the same so called and just upgraded.

Now I'm wondering if I should bid for a club balcony but the upgrade program still thinks I'm in an outside cabin.

Wondering if it is worth it as those club cabins are directly under the pool deck/gym and maybe noisy, this is on the Jade btw.

Not sure if the Jade is better, but had a mini-suite on the Gem. Often when I went onto my balcony I heard kids playing shuffleboard right above me. It was not pleasant. They also had the bathtubs with really high sides that were miserable to get in and out of.

3 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Not sure if the Jade is better, but had a mini-suite on the Gem. Often when I went onto my balcony I heard kids playing shuffleboard right above me. It was not pleasant. They also had the bathtubs with really high sides that were miserable to get in and out of.

Check out the deck plan. On the Jewel class ships there are a variety of possibilities above you. People in our group had cabins under the library, La Cucina and the Great Outdoors with no issues but you can also find yourself under the kid's club or fitness center which would be problematic. With bidding on upgrades you don't have a choice though. 

1 hour ago, Twinbooty said:

Do upgrades get cheaper nearer sail date and are they offered on boarding if still plenty of availability.

I have the feeling our cruise next Sunday is going to be quiet. 

The upgrade bid prices don't get cheaper, they are fixed. There are no upgrades available onboard because they don't want 100s of people milling around guest services asking the same question on every sailing. At the point when you arrive at the pier your cabin is set in stone

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoveByrds said:

On the 8/28 sailing of the Encore, I was able to upgrade onboard at guest servics for $200 Total. From balcony to balcony suite. I ended up declining, because I'd already unpacked. 

Wow, that's new.  Did you go to guest services specifically to ask?

On 9/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, kbr said:

We booked an inside guarantee through a TA and have not gotten the upgrade email.  We are sailing on the Breakaway on 10/10.  Do you think we will get the email?  Haven't sailed on NCL with the bidding system.  Use to just getting an upgrade but I see that's now how it works these days!

We are on the same sailing.  We got the upgrade email a while ago.  Not all TA's participate so it is possible that yours does not.  If you go to your reservation if you are eligible it should say "let's get you upgraded " .  Follow that link and it will give you the option. 

Several on our sailing have taken advantage of balcony price drops recently, rather than hoping for a bid acceptance.  You could ask your TA if that is an option for you.  It may depend on promos based on new rules.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Wow, that's new.  Did you go to guest services specifically to ask?

Yes, I went to guest services the first day and asked. They said once everyone was onboard, they'd call and let us know what was available and the cost. Later that evening I had a vm on our cabin phone. Went back to guest services and they told me they had an upgrade available to deck 10 for $200 total. I went and spoke to my husband, and when I went back to guest services they asked if I'd like to see the cabin first. I declined the upgrade without seeing the room, because we were closer to family, and I'd wanted a spa cabin.

I also got a vm the next morning double checking whether I wanted the upgrade.

I've never had this be an option before, but thought it was pretty cool. 

• Like 2

I'm booked as a solo on the Gem in later this month. I booked that about a month ago. I got a fairly decent inside (free at sea) cabin on deck 11.   I then bid $250 (fair bid) (but remember I have to pay double, so in reality $500.    I happened to see that the price for family balcony cabins were slashed in half.  I called yesterday to see about repricing me in one of those cabins.   I paid an additional $419 and have a confirmed (i was able to choose any family cabin, mid, aft or forward).   The rep was extremely patient encouraging me to pull the deck plan up and choose my own location.  I kept all the discounts and past cruise extra points when I initially booked.   So no need to bid  now.     

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Trekker954 said:

I'm booked as a solo on the Gem in later this month. I booked that about a month ago. I got a fairly decent inside (free at sea) cabin on deck 11.   I then bid $250 (fair bid) (but remember I have to pay double, so in reality $500.    I happened to see that the price for family balcony cabins were slashed in half.  I called yesterday to see about repricing me in one of those cabins.   I paid an additional $419 and have a confirmed (i was able to choose any family cabin, mid, aft or forward).   The rep was extremely patient encouraging me to pull the deck plan up and choose my own location.  I kept all the discounts and past cruise extra points when I initially booked.   So no need to bid  now.     

I did exactly the same thing. I ended up paying for an upgrade rather than bidding. You get the exact room you want, and it cost about the same as the lowest bid for an upgrade.

4 hours ago, Trekker954 said:

What is the difference between a normal balcony room and a family balcony?

6 hours ago, Trekker954 said:

We did this same thing with our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Encore. Went from a club balcony to the Haven because it was only a couple hundred more than our bid to upgrade. Three days later the Haven room price dropped even lower (a total of $600 lower). Called customer service and they wouldn’t even offer the normal 25% of the difference in future cruise credits. We felt like total suckers after that. 

Help.......

If i put 2 bids in for:

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom & Large Balcony (H7)
and

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom and Balcony (HA)

And both are the same bid, am i more likely to get the lesser of the 2 rooms or would they go with the one i have bid first on?

Also, looking at the videos i cant see the difference between these two rooms.  The upgrade price isnt any difference but one says large balcony and the other doesnt.  Can anyone describe the main difference between them....if anything ?

2 hours ago, Twinbooty said:

Help.......

If i put 2 bids in for:

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom & Large Balcony (H7)
and

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom and Balcony (HA)

And both are the same bid, am i more likely to get the lesser of the 2 rooms or would they go with the one i have bid first on?

Also, looking at the videos i cant see the difference between these two rooms.  The upgrade price isnt any difference but one says large balcony and the other doesnt.  Can anyone describe the main difference between them....if anything ?

Assuming you are looking at a Breakaway or Getaway  the difference in the rooms is the bathroom position.  With 1 it is at the aft window, while the other the bedroom is at the window.  Do a search for the Breakaway spreadsheet.  It is extremely useful.

As for which you are more likely to get that is anyones guess.  Ciuld just be which is available.

Just put in the minimum bids (same exact bids) from a Club Balcony Cabin to a Haven Spa Suite, a Haven Forward Facing Suite, A Haven Courtyard Suite with Large Balcony, and a Haven Courtyard Suite.  Given the minimum bids, don't know if I have any chance.  Thought I'd give it a shot, though.

This is for the 10/2 sailing of the Encore to Alaska.

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Just put in the minimum bids (same exact bids) from a Club Balcony Cabin to a Haven Spa Suite, a Haven Forward Facing Suite, A Haven Courtyard Suite with Large Balcony, and a Haven Courtyard Suite.  Given the minimum bids, don't know if I have any chance.  Thought I'd give it a shot, though.

This is for the 10/2 sailing of the Encore to Alaska.

You will get the red one. Prices have come way down for this sailing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keep on cruisin said:

Assuming you are looking at a Breakaway or Getaway  the difference in the rooms is the bathroom position.  With 1 it is at the aft window, while the other the bedroom is at the window.  Do a search for the Breakaway spreadsheet.  It is extremely useful.

As for which you are more likely to get that is anyones guess.  Ciuld just be which is available.

Its the Getaway.  Not really fussed about the config, its mainly that large AFT balcony im looking for.  Ive had a look for a spreadsheet but im really new to this and cant find it.

Am i right in saying in both of the above they are at each end of the ship at the back and therefore have the same huge balcony ?

And am i allowed to put a bid in for each of them and i presume they only take 1 charge if successful.