Vaccine Proof Conundrum

mame42

Help!  I have read of travelers denied entry to a country because the names on their vaccine cards and passports do not match.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Because I live in a state that has throwbacks to Napoleonic law, all of my state official documents, including my vaccine card, list my maiden name as my middle name.  However, my passports for almost 60 years have used my actual middle name.

The best solution would change the name on my passport.  Due to the current situation, the State Department website says, "DO NOT Call. Please use the website for any questions," but the FAQs and scenarios on the website have nothing to do with my situation.  Providing the documentation required for any of the name change requests seem near impossible.  I cannot provide an original Marriage Certificate because I married in Europe; at this point I have only a near six decade old, fragile, onionskin copy in the original language and a similar copy of an official translation.  Neither would survive mailing and handling.

I do have a 1961 passport in my maiden name, the first passport issued in my married name, and a Certified copy of my birth certificate.

Any suggestions would help, since I have just 16 months to solve this conundrum before the 2023 GVW.

Yikes. Last time I had to go in to update my license my state did that. I didn’t notice it until I went to sell my car. 😜

I marched back to our DMV and let them know THEY had made a mistake in re-naming me. And refused to pay a second fee to get my real name back. It got fixed. Quickly. After I offered to have a chat with a supervisor.🤨

I’m not sure if California is more “open” to such things than your state.

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Would it be possible to get the state to change your name on the vaccination card?

22nd  century problems!!  Since the state keeps digital health records, accessible by permission by any doctor, clinic, or hospital, the name would need to change on ALL my medical records.  My digital proof of vaccine is available on my phone through my Driver's License, which has my maiden name as a middle name.  It is a mess. Fortunately, Medicare and Tricare records go by SS, because they are also under different names.

27 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yikes. Last time I had to go in to update my license my state did that. I didn’t notice it until I went to sell my car. 😜

I marched back to our DMV and let them know THEY had made a mistake in re-naming me. And refused to pay a second fee to get my real name back. It got fixed. Quickly. After I offered to have a chat with a supervisor.🤨

I’m not sure if California is more “open” to such things than your state.

I would happily pay a fee if that would fix the problem.  Although I have maintained a state driver's license with the same name for more decades than I care to count,  I will inquire (after we finish IDA cleanup, and the DMV has power) if changing my name on the license will change the name on the vaccine app, although that won't solve the problem with the actual card.  

Thanks for the suggestion.

A sister-in-law & I have the same first name and married name. When I first applied for my Global Entry card many years ago, I showed my driver's license & specifically asked that the Global Entry card be identical to my driver's license, which lists my first name, my maiden last name and my married last name.  Imagine my disbelief when the Global Entry card arrived with my first name, my middle name and my married last name.  It was many flights & many hassles, denied TSA Early boardings with different airlines before I decided to match my airline information to my Global Entry Card. I hope to travel long after I decide to stop driving so the Global Entry card does the trick (plus the picture is more flattering...)

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

I would happily pay a fee if that would fix the problem.  Although I have maintained a state driver's license with the same name for more decades than I care to count,  I will inquire (after we finish IDA cleanup, and the DMV has power) if changing my name on the license will change the name on the vaccine app, although that won't solve the problem with the actual card.  

Thanks for the suggestion.

Curious if there was a better way when you signed in to use more appropriate name?

I can’t help with your current problem but I can offer a suggestion.  My passport office suggested years ago I drop my middle name off my passport (I do use my maiden and married name legally - non hyphenated) so it made for a long name.

It was a good suggestion way back when as now, no way would that name with my middle name have fit on my vaccine form.

You actually had me double checking mine 😉 

I had my vaccine done at a mega-center here in NJ, and no one running the show put my name on my card.  

They only reminded us at the time we left the center to "remember to fill out your personal data on your card"...so I could put my name in any format I wanted.

• Like 1

Once again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions.  After ascertaining that my Military ID is also in the name that appears on my passport, here is my plan of attack:

Visit DMV and pay whatever necessary to change my Driver's License, since my digital Covid vaccine proof is tied to my license.

Apply to the state Department of Health for a new vaccine card.

Hope that these changes do not affect my voter registration, state tax exemptions, etc.

Wish me luck!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Good luck! 

The more I read your story, the more convinced I became that women should never change their name when they marry. All the rigmarole you have to go through now! 

Agree.  No idea why they bother.  Seems a little pointless to me.  Many of the women that I worked with kept their names after marriage for that very reason or for professional reasons.

Edited by iancal

46 minutes ago, iancal said:

Agree.  No idea why they bother.  Seems a little pointless to me.  Many of the women that I worked with kept their names after marriage for that very reason or for professional reasons.

Lol.  Someone should have told me that six decades ago when I was about to be married at age 18 years.

21 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Lol.  Someone should have told me that six decades ago when I was about to be married at age 18 years.

I grew up in an area with the same type of civil law. 

For many years my birth certificate consisted of a legal page copy of  a  handwritten entry from the church christening record along with the Government stamp and official red seal  at the bottom of the copy.   Complete with the names of both my parents plus the two witnesses. And their occupations!

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

Good luck! 

The more I read your story, the more convinced I became that women should never change their name when they marry. All the rigmarole you have to go through now! 

Back in the early seventies when I got married, I wanted both my maiden name and married name on my degree,  I was the first at the university to ask for this.  The registrar was consulted and agreed!  Things are never simple.