Insurance code for Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Service ordered from RCL

discru

I called the eMed ppl about the procedure code/diagnosis code they are putting on the invoice they send us after we are tested, and they said the code will be Z20.822 – Contact with and (suspected) exposure to COVID-19. 

I am guessing this is not a problem as RCL is selling these tests to presumably healthy ppl (not necessarily only those who have been in contact with suspected Covid exposure) to fulfill their requirement for pre-cruise testing...?

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what invoice AFTER the test?

It is actually the invoice from when your order was approved and shipped. If you need the invoice for insurance reimbursement, you can download it from the eMed website:

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Sounds a little shady- like bordering on insurance fraud- as they don't pay for travel related testing . In essence you submit a false diagnosis code - hmmm...

At present I don't think there is a CPT code for travel  clearance as it is such a new "thing".

This is NOT a slam on OP or anyone else for submitting it. It's just not something I would think of doing because it is neither for treatment or prevention  

In PA Covid testing is "free" so using Binax at home is a choice we make for convenience.

I wouldn’t make a blanket statement that travel related tests are not covered by insurance, as it depends on the insurance company, I imagine. I Posted it because I thought it strange, and worth looking into as I know many are considering at hone testing. Obviously, I would confer with my insurance company if I ever decided to order the tests and try for reimbursement.  This is all so fluid....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Sounds a little shady- like bordering on insurance fraud- as they don't pay for travel related testing . In essence you submit a false diagnosis code - hmmm...

Hmmm... Pre-judging one's intentions?  One can always submit a claim and the nsurance company will indeed let you know what they will or will not cover.

Many insurances in my area are covering/reimbursing for the CVS and Walgreens "free" tests. So it's possible they'd reimburse a policyholder for the eMeds tests as it may be cheaper for them in the long run.

We are fortunate to have two excellent insurances that covers just about everything; thus, we've seldom paid for anything out of pocket, even outside our network. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

At present I don't think there is a CPT code for travel  clearance as it is such a new "thing".

This is NOT a slam on OP or anyone else for submitting it. It's just not something I would think of doing because it is neither for treatment or prevention  

In PA Covid testing is "free" so using Binax at home is a choice we make for convenience.

My health provider does not do rapid testing, which is required for RCCL cruising.  There's nothing shady about reimbursement from a health provider for the rapid test if they approve the need for it.  That's what a claim is for:  you received a necessary service that was not available from your primary provider.  

For instance, RCCL accidentally froze an 8 week supply of my husband's insulin in 2019.  It cost over $1,200 to replace, and RCCL didn't cover all of it.  We submitted a claim for the rest because there was no Kaiser pharmacy in Key West, and insulin could not be shipped to us.  So, we had to buy it from CVS.

We got reimburse for all of it.

• Like 2