Canadian covid test upon disembarkation

bucky21

We are planning on flying home to Canada the day after disembarkation from our planned cruise in February 2022.(Fort Lauderdale). We have concerns about getting covid  test results back on time to make our flight. Does anyone from Canada have any experience on whether this is possible? Where to take test?? Length of time to get results back??   Price?  Etc....

57 minutes ago, bucky21 said:

Length of time to get results back??

I was told by a passenger that was doing Back-to-Back-to-Back cruises on the NA that she was tested on the boat at no cost to her and results were almost immediate. I am reporting this as second hand knowledge or hearsay only. No first hand experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bucky21 said:

Thank you all::    Very poignant and relevant responses. I appreciate the feedback:   Fair winds to you all.

I'll only add one more question/comment - is your flight through Holland (FlightEase)? We are booked in December and fly back the day of disembarkation. I'm 'hoping' that in some way would help to guarantee we will get results in time or they arrange alternative trip back.

• Like 2

I read on the HAL Health facts page that they will test us on "day 5" I guess if you are on a 7 day cruise, we are on a 14 day so I am anticipating day 12 of the cruise and they will do either an antigen or PCR.  We need a PCR to fly.  So everything is good.

To:   rodndonna:   No, we have booked our flights ourselves. I am relieved to see shebag post because I feel certain that a PCR test is required. Not too sure if an Antigen test will suffice to fly internationally. 

Taxmantoo makes a valid point as well, but our final payment is scheduled for late November. I will have to make a final decision at that time at the latest.

1 hour ago, bucky21 said:

To:   rodndonna:   No, we have booked our flights ourselves. I am relieved to see shebag post because I feel certain that a PCR test is required. Not too sure if an Antigen test will suffice to fly internationally. 

Taxmantoo makes a valid point as well, but our final payment is scheduled for late November. I will have to make a final decision at that time at the latest.

If you are flying into Canada you need a PCR test (right now).  Not sure about other places.  The antigen will not suffice.

Sort of the question I would like to know......we are planning a cruise out of SAN late Nov and wonder how it is all going to work......we need a test to fly to the USA....I guess get in Kelowna somewhere a day or two before we leave....then fly....then prob need another hotel night in SAN before the cruise....so the 72 hr thing is very close or past......a worry......then same as you....it is hard to fly right home off the cruise the same day unless you get a test on the ship???....does HAL do that...have not read much about it.....makes things so hard to go away for a 7 day cruise.....any thoughts or tips welcome.....Ken

32 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Checked the Princess blog....they seem to be giving a free covid rapid test as you get off the ship for Canadians...makes it easy to fly back home.....HAL???....no testing?????.....if not I prob will look at Princess for our first "kick at the cruiser cat"

I’m replying to this quote and the one above.  It’s actually 2 days before you embark the cruise not 3 days or 72 hours.  Hal says it will test you on this ship but it’s been reported otherwise.  I have posted on the oct 2nd roll call for the n Amsterdam even though I’m not sailing on that ship.  There are several Canadians on that trip.  I have asked them to post what happens with regard to onboard testing either on the main  hal board or on the roll call.  It’s anyone’s guess if they will do that.

This is from Holland America's web site under Travelwell, updated September 3rd:

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage.  Guests will receive a copy of the test result.  Guests are encouraged to review their home country's health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

4 hours ago, doone said:

This is from Holland America's web site under Travelwell, updated September 3rd:

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage.  Guests will receive a copy of the test result.  Guests are encouraged to review their home country's health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

Yes, that's what they say and should be doing.  Reality is that it has been reported that is not what is happening.  This is important for Canadians.  It's not like we can pull up mid ocean and pick one up.  

11 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, that's what they say and should be doing.  Reality is that it has been reported that is not what is happening.  This is important for Canadians.  It's not like we can pull up mid ocean and pick one up.  

AAAARRRRGGGG very frustrating for sure......

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:42 PM, Kelownabccan said:

Checked the Princess blog....they seem to be giving a free covid rapid test as you get off the ship for Canadians...makes it easy to fly back home.....HAL???....no testing?????.....if not I prob will look at Princess for our first "kick at the cruiser cat"

Actually, Canada does not accept the results from rapid tests.

That said, it is possible to pay for a quick turnaround time for RT-PCR tests. I was in Frankfurt, and there were an amazing number of commercial testing organizations. Apparently, as soon as 6 hours for 119 Euros...

https://flughafen-frankfurt.ecocare.center/en/

I opted for the 24-hour report, and it was delivered by email (Negative) in 18 hours.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:42 PM, Kelownabccan said:

We will be on the Eurodam from Oct 6 until Oct 30 and we have been assured that HAL will be giving us a Covid test on board ship so we can fly back from Barcelona to Toronto according to the current rules .

7 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We will be on the Eurodam from Oct 6 until Oct 30 and we have been assured that HAL will be giving us a Covid test on board ship so we can fly back from Barcelona to Toronto according to the current rules .

I think it’s going very well in Europe from what I’m hearing.  Not so much in the USA.

8 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

IMO, it will be easier to PCR test the entire ship in Europe than in the Caribbean.

First, I have doubts that a ship can process 3k PCR tests within 72 hours. Easier to take and drop off the samples at the stop before Barcelona, for processing at a commercial lab. 

Not sure which Caribbean port has similar facilities.

In any case, the swabbing of 3k samples in 24 hours will be a mammoth task. I would prepare contingencies, in case the results are unavailable or unsatisfactory. Fortunately, Europe offers RT-PCR tests with results in 6 hours.

Bon Voyage.

BTW, Canada's cruise ban ends November 1st(?). So, covid and cancellation insurance will be easier to obtain after November.

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

IMO, it will be easier to PCR test the entire ship in Europe than in the Caribbean.

First, I have doubts that a ship can process 3k PCR tests within 72 hours. Easier to take and drop off the samples at the stop before Barcelona, for processing at a commercial lab. 

Not sure which Caribbean port has similar facilities.

In any case, the swabbing of 3k samples in 24 hours will be a mammoth task. I would prepare contingencies, in case the results are unavailable or unsatisfactory. Fortunately, Europe offers RT-PCR tests with results in 6 hours.

Bon Voyage.

BTW, Canada's cruise ban ends November 1st(?). So, covid and cancellation insurance will be easier to obtain after November.

Just looking at cruises in the USA I don't think Hal would be testing 3K.  Firsly, no Hal ship holds 3K.  Maybe you are including crew in here.  Secondly, do you need a covid to test to fly domestically in the USA?  Right this moment you don't need to need one to fly domestically in Canada that I'm aware of.  So that could potentially knock out possibly 1/2 the ship.  Hal is stating it will test on board so they should be.  I have a flight booked through Hal the day my cruise is over.  Pretty hard to make alternate plans.  It would be wonderful if you are going to paint a picture, some accuracy would be wonderful.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Just looking at cruises in the USA I don't think Hal would be testing 3K.  Firsly, no Hal ship holds 3K.  Maybe you are including crew in here.  

First, the Pinnacle class ships have a pax capacity of 2,650. At some point, the cruise companies will try to run some ships near full capacity!

Second, I was replying to dutchy who's returning from Barcelona.

Third, cruisers who travel to the Caribbean, and disembark in the States, will need to be tested before arrival?

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

First, the Pinnacle class ships have a pax capacity of 2,650. At some point, the cruise companies will try to run some ships near full capacity!

Second, I was replying to dutchy who's returning from Barcelona.

Third, cruisers who travel to the Caribbean, and disembark in the States, will need to be tested before arrival?

2650 is still not 3000.  You best be telling  hal that they need to test ALL passengers because they are saying for their USA cruise passengers they will test those that need it for onward travel.  In your case it would say all passengers.  Please don’t post misinformation.