Grand suite on the Oasis of the seas

In a GS on Oasis right now. There’s a very small tub with a shower and a curtain which is in bad shape. It’s a very big step up to get into the shower so if you have mobility issues beware. The cabin, bathroom, and balcony are very large which is nice but tbh I’ve been very underwhelmed with the suite services. I really think I would’ve been just as happy with our regular balcony. 

1 minute ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

In a GS on Oasis right now. There’s a very small tub with a shower and a curtain which is in bad shape. It’s a very big step up to get into the shower so if you have mobility issues beware. The cabin, bathroom, and balcony are very large which is nice but tbh I’ve been very underwhelmed with the suite services. I really think I would’ve been just as happy with our regular balcony. 

That is my concern my husband has a problem with the big steps into the tub.

1 minute ago, ranchette said:

That is my concern my husband has a problem with the big steps into the tub.

This is the tub. The side is about 26”. You could I guess sit on that back bench like area and swing around but I wouldn’t want to bother doing that. He may not mind.

19DDF5D0-E9FE-4C69-856F-F978D76980EF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

This is the tub. The side is about 26”. You could I guess sit on that back bench like area and swing around but I wouldn’t want to bother doing that. He may not mind.

19DDF5D0-E9FE-4C69-856F-F978D76980EF.jpeg

Wow that is really high no way can he do that. We need a walk in shower not handicap.

I am 6'2" and my head hits the ceiling standing in the tub on Oasis class. Like mentioned above there is a big step up into the tub that is not good for tall people. It's the same for the JS on Oasis class. Is it a deal break...don't know I would say that for the added space of the JS. For the GS it's kind of a sour point for that level suite to have a tub with a shower curtain and my head hitting ceiling. Was so nice on Odyssey in the J4 JS with a separate walk in shower.

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

IMO suite class on Royal isn't worth it...the sweet point for me on Royal is a JS....not worth the added price tag for full suite services on Royal. If you are going to go full suite...do it on Celebrity...especially Edge class where you have the Retreat and will get totally spoiled.

Edited by bajathree

14 hours ago, bajathree said:

IMO suite class on Royal isn't worth it...the sweet point for me on Royal is a JS....not worth the added price tag for full suite services on Royal. If you are going to go full suite...do it on Celebrity...especially Edge class where you have the Retreat and will get totally spoiled.

I’ve got to agree. I don’t think having to ask for everything extra is being pampered which you basically have to do with sky class so we’ve seen no difference in experience of service. Even the cabin service is no different than regular service except for a bowl of fruit at embarkation. You live and you learn. I would’ve been just as happy with my original D1 balcony. Maybe I’ll give the Celebrity suite a try but I’d never waste the money on Sky class again.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’ve got to agree. I don’t think having to ask for everything extra is being pampered which you basically have to do with sky class so we’ve seen no difference in experience of service. Even the cabin service is no different than regular service except for a bowl of fruit at embarkation. You live and you learn. I would’ve been just as happy with my original D1 balcony. Maybe I’ll give the Celebrity suite a try but I’d never waste the money on Sky class again.

On Celebrity their JS is called a Sky Suite and has full suite services. Royal just doesn't do suite well....unless maybe you're in star class and have a dedicated genie...but at that point your spending BIG $

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

I definitely think it’s worth it for a grand suite, I have gotten some bargains, much larger cabin, much nicer bathroom. But totally agree celebrity suites have much nicer perks especially on edge class, but rccl has better entertainment and one of the rccl perks is nice reserved seats for shows.

24 minutes ago, George C said:

I definitely think it’s worth it for a grand suite, I have gotten some bargains, much larger cabin, much nicer bathroom. But totally agree celebrity suites have much nicer perks especially on edge class, but rccl has better entertainment and one of the rccl perks is nice reserved seats for shows.

Right now reserved seating is only for star class. At least it was on my recent Odyssey sailing. And agree....celebrity entertainment lacks compared to Royal. I guess it all depends what's worth it...bargain value always has it's worth. Also depends as to whether you are diamond plus or above or prime. If paying full price which is usually about $1000-12000/pp to go from a JS to grand suite for a 7 night sailing....not worth it "for me".

In general, for me, the perks to move from a Sea class suite to a Sky class suite is minimal. If can find a crazy good price on a Star class suite, I might splurge when the time is right. So based on that, I usually book only a JS because the added room in the GS does not have that much added value to me. but like anything YMMV.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, bajathree said:

On 10/2/2021 at 7:43 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I too am dubious as to the value of Sky class on RCI, but we have our first Grand Suite booked on Oasis coming up so I will finally get to evaluate first hand. We've sailed in the Haven twice (Getaway and Bliss both in Aft suites), and the whole Haven experience and the Aft suites are really excellent. I wish RCI had a more connected suite experience like in the newer NCL ships, where the restaurant, lounge, pool, and sundeck are all connected in one big dedicated area. Our cruise on the Bliss was fantastic, and we loved our Aft suite and the Breakaway+ class ships definitely have the best Haven areas. We paid maybe 500-1k more on that cruise for a family of 4 than we did for the upcoming GS on the Oasis and NCL includes drinks and 3 specialty dinners. I think I got a good deal on a GS on the Oasis out of NYC, but as an entry level suite it was almost the same price as what we paid for a mid-upper tier Haven Suite.

Our last cruise on RCI was in a JS, so we did get to eat at Coastal Kitchen for dinner, and the food was fine although I think the Haven restaurant was better overall. I really enjoy both lines, we had a great cruise on the Anthem but I have a feeling that I will save my suite dollars for NCL and book JS or lower on RCI in the future, but let's see if the Oasis can change my mind!

On 10/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, ranchette said:

Does anyone know if the grand suite 1 bedroom have a walk in shower or does it have the bathtub combination?

Hi Ranchette,

I have been in Grand Suites and no they do not have a separate shower and I wish that they get rid of the bathtub.

I am very short and Have mobility issues and I have to put my backside on the ledge in one of the photos that I saw here and then grab the bar and then swing my legs over. Then when I need to get out my husband is near by so that I don’t fall on the floor.

many people that have a Grand Suite ether go to the Spa or Gym and take a shower there from what I was told.

also I think that there was a Thread a few years ago about the tubs on Cruise Critic.

Wendy

I’m not a fan of the bathtub/shower combination but can maneuver over the high “wall”, even though I have a major knee problem and walk with a cane.  However, if I’m able to either book a grand suite or Royal Up to one, I’ll do it every time.  I love going to Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and lunch!    I also love the extra room with a somewhat separate living room.

32 minutes ago, tomservo said:

I too am dubious as to the value of Sky class on RCI, but we have our first Grand Suite booked on Oasis coming up so I will finally get to evaluate first hand. We've sailed in the Haven twice (Getaway and Bliss both in Aft suites), and the whole Haven experience and the Aft suites are really excellent. I wish RCI had a more connected suite experience like in the newer NCL ships, where the restaurant, lounge, pool, and sundeck are all connected in one big dedicated area. Our cruise on the Bliss was fantastic, and we loved our Aft suite and the Breakaway+ class ships definitely have the best Haven areas. We paid maybe 500-1k more on that cruise for a family of 4 than we did for the upcoming GS on the Oasis and NCL includes drinks and 3 specialty dinners. I think I got a good deal on a GS on the Oasis out of NYC, but as an entry level suite it was almost the same price as what we paid for a mid-upper tier Haven Suite.

Our last cruise on RCI was in a JS, so we did get to eat at Coastal Kitchen for dinner, and the food was fine although I think the Haven restaurant was better overall. I really enjoy both lines, we had a great cruise on the Anthem but I have a feeling that I will save my suite dollars for NCL and book JS or lower on RCI in the future, but let's see if the Oasis can change my mind!

I’m very interested to hear your take. I feel like I’m in a minority that I just didn’t see the value of the GS on Oasis. And I definitely didn’t see any perks. There was no real priority boarding, no priority seating or reservations for shows, no real priority disembarkation. The suite sun deck was nice but no pool and the beverage service was better below on deck 15. The CK was nice but no priority dinner reservations and with a ship like Oasis there’s just so many other dining options. The amount of space in the cabin was nice but not necessary for two. Maybe makes more sense if you’ve got 4 in there. The bathroom was big and it was nice to have 2 sinks but the shower tub combo was dated and the shower curtain gross. The coffee make in our suite was an old Mr Coffee machine you’d see in any 3 star hotel. And the cabin service was exactly the same as a regular cabin. The only difference was the bowl of fruit at embarkation that was never replenished. We literally never heard from the concierge only a daily mass email of information I could find in the cruise compass.

All that said we had a great cruise and Oasis is still my favorite ship but I don’t feel like I got enough extras for the premium for that GS. All the hype on this board for these suites amazes me now.

7 minutes ago, GenHawk said:

Hi Ranchette,

I have been in Grand Suites and no they do not have a separate shower and I wish that they get rid of the bathtub.

I am very short and Have mobility issues and I have to put my backside on the ledge in one of the photos that I saw here and then grab the bar and then swing my legs over. Then when I need to get out my husband is near by so that I don’t fall on the floor.

many people that have a Grand Suite ether go to the Spa or Gym and take a shower there from what I was told.

also I think that there was a Thread a few years ago about the tubs on Cruise Critic.

Wendy

I am 5'4" and have issues with that tub too.  It comes up to about mid thigh height on me and is a tough climb to get in.  Getting out is tricky too as the bottom of the tub is higher than the floor of the bathroom so the step down is farther than you would expect from a normal tub.  

27 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m very interested to hear your take. I feel like I’m in a minority that I just didn’t see the value of the GS on Oasis. And I definitely didn’t see any perks. There was no real priority boarding, no priority seating or reservations for shows, no real priority disembarkation. The suite sun deck was nice but no pool and the beverage service was better below on deck 15. The CK was nice but no priority dinner reservations and with a ship like Oasis there’s just so many other dining options. The amount of space in the cabin was nice but not necessary for two. Maybe makes more sense if you’ve got 4 in there. The bathroom was big and it was nice to have 2 sinks but the shower tub combo was dated and the shower curtain gross. The coffee make in our suite was an old Mr Coffee machine you’d see in any 3 star hotel. And the cabin service was exactly the same as a regular cabin. The only difference was the bowl of fruit at embarkation that was never replenished. We literally never heard from the concierge only a daily mass email of information I could find in the cruise compass.

All that said we had a great cruise and Oasis is still my favorite ship but I don’t feel like I got enough extras for the premium for that GS. All the hype on this board for these suites amazes me now.

I think a lot of what you experienced was due to covid changes.  We have sailed sea and sky class from Bayonne on Anthem and have always had priority boarding and disembarking.  We have sailed in a GS on Oasis from Port Canaveral and had priority boarding and disembarking too.  We were able to make reservations for shows and for CK but this was pre covid.  We did find that the concierges were overwhelmed on Oasis and were not as helpful as we have experienced on Anthem.  One of the concierges commented to a friend that they wouldn't be getting any behind the scenes tours as you do in a suite on other ships as there were "too many of them" and if they were diamond + then they would get a bridge tour.

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I agree with a lot of what @reallyitsmema said, unfortunately you're not getting a lot of the suite perks because of Covid. Normally you would be able to get priority seating, reservations, boarding, restaurants, etc but because of limited capacity and social distancing, they've mostly eliminated those perks. Fortunately for us we've already been in contact with the Oasis concierge and have already made our dinner and show reservations for the week, so we're at least getting that benefit.

I do agree with you about the GS itself from what I've seen in pictures, it does look dated and I'm not a huge fan of the bathroom. It seems that some updates from the Amplification were not prioritized in the GS. We have a bids out on Royal Up, I will be happier if we get a better room but will be ok if we get stuck with the GS as well. Even the 2 bedroom GS looks much nicer.

Regarding the coffee maker, I am surprised that it is only a Mr Coffee machine, all the Haven rooms have Nespresso type machines, at least on the newer ships.

Finally I wanted to note that one suite perk on Oasis that I am looking forward to is the drinks in the suite lounge. You should be able to get beer/wine (from a list) 11am-11pm every day, and mixed drinks during the cocktail hour, including during lunch and dinner at CK. We are not big drinkers and don't have a drink package but I do look forward to complementary drinks during meals and in the lounge during the day.