Covid on Iona

Cathygh

jeanlyon  i would be happy to be offloaded if deemed necessary to protect the masses, obviously cruise lines don't want bad press of someone dying onboard due to covid. But if you are a regular cruiser deaths on ships due to a other medical conditions are a sad regular occurrence due to the average age of pax at certain times of the year and home port. I like many if they knew the true facts would just like to insure against the risk. Unfortunately, it is common knowledge 75% of people take out travel insurance without going into the bones of the policy to cover the risk of their trip. Hopefully Megabear2 will get some answers for us, fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, JustOxford said:

jeanlyon  i would be happy to be offloaded if deemed necessary to protect the masses, obviously cruise lines don't want bad press of someone dying onboard due to covid. But if you are a regular cruiser deaths on ships due to a other medical conditions are a sad regular occurrence due to the average age of pax at certain times of the year and home port. I like many if they knew the true facts would just like to insure against the risk. Unfortunately, it is common knowledge 75% of people take out travel insurance without going into the bones of the policy to cover the risk of their trip. Hopefully Megabear2 will get some answers for us, fingers crossed.

I would be very unhappy to be offloaded and then have to fly home.  It's quite simple, I just won't go.  I'd rather lose my deposit than take a chance on that.  Or we will move the cruise to 2023.

• Like 2

Jeanlyon can understand your comments and views, if we don't book for the 31 October cruise to Canaries our next cruise is May 2022. Speaking with a someone in know they are confident by early spring we will be down to very very low daily case numbers in the uk due to vacines plus boosters for those over 50, herd immunity which is currently just under a million a month. New tablet form treatments are also due to be approved late spring/early summer which will also be a game changer for winter 22/23. So hoping our September 2022 cruise will be just like the old days!

Stay safe and well, big thumbs up for Megbear2 who is fighting all our causes.  

• Like 3

Not sure if you have sorted this out yet, but this came from another cruise line and was from their preferred Insurer..Holiday Extras.  It definitely includes a companion.

"Holiday Extras, cover will include coronavirus, meaning if you become ill during your cruise they will cover medical assistance. repatriation costs and accommodation for you and a companion, should you need it. This policy is available to all guests who meet Holiday Extra’s health criteria, including those aged over 70."

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Not sure if you have sorted this out yet, but this came from another cruise line and was from their preferred Insurer..Holiday Extras.  It definitely includes a companion.

"Holiday Extras, cover will include coronavirus, meaning if you become ill during your cruise they will cover medical assistance. repatriation costs and accommodation for you and a companion, should you need it. This policy is available to all guests who meet Holiday Extra’s health criteria, including those aged over 70."

I have a feeling that was applicable to staycation cruises, I doubt it still applies.

My Insurance states that you are Covid covered. But this incident makes me wonder to what degree. Obviously P&O won't allow you on a ship with Covid. Which is understandable and correct. But due to the very nature of this virus you can be well well embarking and unwell a few days later or pick up the virus when going ashore. There are many scenarios attached to travel, Insurance and the virus and it would be nice to be assured that whatever materialises you will be covered either by P&O or your Insurance.

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Holiday Extras, cover will include coronavirus, meaning if you become ill during your cruise they will cover medical assistance. repatriation costs and accommodation for you and a companion, should you need it. This policy is available to all guests who meet Holiday Extra’s health criteria, including those aged over 70."

Problem is you and your companion apparently have to test positive.. They will not cover anyone with a negative test unfortunately.

43 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

My Insurance states that you are Covid covered. But this incident makes me wonder to what degree.

Call them and ask about quarantine if a negative test. Its really the only way to make sure. So far 15 major insurers have told me no positive test, no cover. Please check just in case.

The problem is, that as Megabear has discovered,  is that companies such as Holiday Extras, are just middlemen.

The actual underwriters are non-contacable,  and have little interest in the concerns of individuals.  As with all insurance policies,  it is a matter of calculating risk and associated cost.

Yes, they could cover the costs for partners forced to quarantine,  but that would mean higher premiums, and consequently they would lose new customers. 

Thanks to Mega we are aware of quarantine costs, but the other 99% of cruisers have no idea!

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

The problem is, that as Megabear has discovered,  is that companies such as Holiday Extras, are just middlemen.

The actual underwriters are non-contacable,  and have little interest in the concerns of individuals.  As with all insurance policies,  it is a matter of calculating risk and associated cost.

Yes, they could cover the costs for partners forced to quarantine,  but that would mean higher premiums, and consequently they would lose new customers. 

Thanks to Mega we are aware of quarantine costs, but the other 99% of cruisers have no idea!

It can get confusing and i remember earlier in the year someone reported that Axa were no longer offering travel insurance and Axa underwrite my CoverForYou policy - panic.

Don't panic, Which reported that Axa were discontinuing their DIRECT SALES travel insurance business but continuing with 3rd party products. In other words they are underwriting and still get most of the profit because they take the risk. I think the 3rd party companies get their profit from commission on sales?

Cover for You were excellent when I spoke to them. They took the time to speak to the underwriter and insurer themselves. I was sceptical when they said they would call me back but true to their word they called within the hour.  If anything their reply of no cover was all the more damning for this reason.

On the third party point interestingly I bought two individual policies from them, one for my husband to cover skiing and winter sports and one for the same holiday without winter sports (they explained I couldn't have a couples policy as I am too old to have winter sports cover with them.  Checking the policies after purchase we are actually under two different underwriters and insurance companies,

Edited by Megabear2
Spelling

For checking your insurance cover (obviously must include Cruise and the correct area eg Worldwide inc Caribbean) does anyone have a list of what perhaps might generally be considered the most pertinent areas to ask about to ensure cover ?  

Appreciate my own responsibility to ensure adequate cover but it's becoming so much of a minefield I have really lost the plot so any pointers would be helpful.

I do have insurance via my bank account but hopefully if Megabear2 receives some info from her insurance sleuthing I might well consider taking out a different policy if it's better cover than what my bank provide so though I would ask.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

For checking your insurance cover (obviously must include Cruise and the correct area eg Worldwide inc Caribbean) does anyone have a list of what perhaps might generally be considered the most pertinent areas to ask about to ensure cover ?  

Appreciate my own responsibility to ensure adequate cover but it's becoming so much of a minefield I have really lost the plot so any pointers would be helpful.

I do have insurance via my bank account but hopefully if Megabear2 receives some info from her insurance sleuthing I might well consider taking out a different policy if it's better cover than what my bank provide so though I would ask.  Thank you.

There is no way the travel insurance banks give us all will have special Covid cruise insurance cover

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There is no way the travel insurance banks give us all will have special Covid cruise insurance cover

When we retired I had a good look into travel insurance which we had through my works health scheme. None of my banks offered what I deemed a decent policy after looking at the small print. Some would give improved cover at a cost. I looked at the P&O Holiday extra policy as we were taking a 35 night cruise with them. I ended up with Staysure who offered a 12 month policy for both of us for less than half the cost HE wanted for just one cruise. Unfortunately we don't usually find out how good or bad our travel insurance is until we need to make a claim.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

When we retired I had a good look into travel insurance which we had through my works health scheme. None of my banks offered what I deemed a decent policy after looking at the small print. Some would give improved cover at a cost. I looked at the P&O Holiday extra policy as we were taking a 35 night cruise with them. I ended up with Staysure who offered a 12 month policy for both of us for less than half the cost HE wanted for just one cruise. Unfortunately we don't usually find out how good or bad our travel insurance is until we need to make a claim.

Yes I looked at Holiday Extras as I thought it would be less hassle. As you say though so expensive, so went with Cover for You.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

1.  Offloading from ship due to Covid

2. Offloading from ship if you are negative but have been in a bubble/cabin with someone positive

3. Abandonment cover, how much and in which scenarios

4. Airlift from ship - I've found several companies including Admiral who dont include it

5. Quarantine costs - ensure how much for food, etc included. Important as some quarantine hotels have no food included (see my link re Barbados quarantine hotels)

6. Medical cover amount

7. Not just cruise minded look into flight departures/travel delays on return flights

8. Connecting flight insurance - Air Canada once messed up my flights from Quebec to London connecting in Montreal.  My insurance with AXA covered this and the necessary hotel costs until the next flight. When I checked with Staysure and some others when AXA pulled out of the travel insurance marketthey dont cover return/connecting flights as standard. With some you can buy an add on, some its included.

9. Cover if told to isolate by NHS test and trace in 14 days before travel

10. Can you claim if only offered a voucher or FCC - in some cases rebooking may be totally impractical (eg health conditions no longer acceptable to cruise line or doctor says unsafe to travel)

11. Any quarantine costs in any scenario abroad.

That's for starters.. 

3 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

I would be wary of Insurance cover on your bank account. I presume this is one that you pay say £3 a month extra and get Insurance thrown in. I Had one of these accounts with Halifax. But found that due to underlying health issues I would have to pay extra for these and it worked out more expensive than to go to Staysure for instance.

23 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I would be wary of Insurance cover on your bank account. I presume this is one that you pay say £3 a month extra and get Insurance thrown in. I Had one of these accounts with Halifax. But found that due to underlying health issues I would have to pay extra for these and it worked out more expensive than to go to Staysure for instance.

Same here.  Gave up paying for this type of bank account as we only used it for holiday insurance.

Actually most of them offer some form of Covid cruise cover. Barclays were one of the first to do so and were highly praised by Which?

The bank policies tend not to cover missed ports, excursions etc but have been widely praised for the rest of their cover.

Unfortunately none of them appear to cover the offloaded negative test situation - I checked RBS/Natwest, Halifax/Lloyd's, HSBC and Nationwide - all a resounding no.

8th October 2021

Churchill, Direct Line and Nationwide have increased their travel policies’ coronavirus cancellation cover, joining our list of insurers offering what we’ve dubbed ‘Complete’ cover for Covid. The insurers will now cover cancellation if you’re instructed to self-isolate, if the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) changes its advice or if a new lockdown prevents you from travelling. Barclays and HSBC are the only other insurers that meet our Complete Covid cover criteria, though you need to have bank accounts with them in order to buy their policies. This is also the case with the Nationwide policy, which is available to FlexPlus customers.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/10/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/ - Which?