Norway and Americans

vaitape

49 minutes ago, vaitape said:

We are booked on a Viking cruise to Norway beginning 12 January. Does anyone know if/when Americans will be allowed to enter Norway?

Currently the answer is no but it’s due for another review soon.  It’s a two way thing here, America also has to give a date when they are going to open up to Europeans.  Fingers crossed for January if it gives you hope, British citizens were no as well, but on 26 September that was changed to yes. 

5 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s a two way thing here, America also has to give a date when they are going to open up to Europeans.

The US has announced travel will open up to vaccinated travelers from the 26 Schengen countries plus Britain, Ireland and a number of other countries in early November. The exact date and details remain to be announced:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/us-relax-travel-restrictions-passengers-uk-eu-november-source-2021-09-20/

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The US has announced travel will open up to vaccinated travelers from the 26 Schengen countries plus Britain, Ireland and a number of other countries in early November. The exact date and details remain to be announced:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/us-relax-travel-restrictions-passengers-uk-eu-november-source-2021-09-20/

The President may have announced that the US is opening to fully vaccinated travellers, but he didn't define "Fully Vaccinated" That definition will come from the US CDC, which has a very narrow definition of "Fully Vaccinated"

Even though I am fully vaccinated and have a Govt issued digital vaccine passport, I will not meet the US CDC definition. Therefore, we have just cancelled the Hawaii cruise, as with the new vaccine requirement, even being fully vaccinated, it is unlikely I can enter the US.

Anyone with AZ and/or mixed vaccines should check the requirements carefully.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The President may have announced that the US is opening to fully vaccinated travellers, but he didn't define "Fully Vaccinated" That definition will come from the US CDC, which has a very narrow definition of "Fully Vaccinated"

Even though I am fully vaccinated and have a Govt issued digital vaccine passport, I will not meet the US CDC definition. Therefore, we have just cancelled the Hawaii cruise, as with the new vaccine requirement, even being fully vaccinated, it is unlikely I can enter the US.

Exactly which is why we are not heading west in November

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

As I said "details to be announced".

I think it's possible the requirements may be more liberal than you're anticipating.  I know that at least one  cruise line that requires all passengers to be fully vaccinated,  Oceania, recently liberalized its definition of full vaccination for US-based cruises to include vaccine combinations not currently recognized by the CDC.  Perhaps they have some information about the direction the US will go. Or it could be wishful thinking on their part.

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I think it's possible the requirements may be more liberal than you're anticipating.  I know that at least one  cruise line that requires all passengers to be fully vaccinated,  Oceania, recently liberalized its definition of full vaccination for US-based cruises to include vaccine combinations not currently recognized by the CDC.  Perhaps they have some information about the direction the US will go. Or it could be wishful thinking on their part.

I think if there is not liberalisation, the EU and associated countries may well get tighter over the winter peaks

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I am so sorry to hear this. What a muddle!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Viking also require all pax to be vaccinated.

Since resuming operations, Viking accepted WHO/EU/FDA approved vaccines and although the recent document relating to US departures didn't mention mixed vaccines, our TA has participated in a call with Viking and regardless of the US CDC, they will continue accepting mixed vaccines. If we can get into the US, we could board the vessel.

I expect the US CDC will eventually accept AZ and mixed vaccines, I believe it is a low probability of happening by next month, in time for the RFG. Therefore, we have moved on and are planning additional travels. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vaitape said:

We are booked on a Viking cruise to Norway beginning 12 January. Does anyone know if/when Americans will be allowed to enter Norway?

Fingers crossed it happens. I'm also on this sailing and fairly sure, if the US is banned the ship won't sail.

• Like 1

I just posted on another thread that, according to CNN, the CDC has told airlines the U.S. will accept people who have been fully vaccinated with any of the vaccines approved for emergency use by the WHO, not just the vaccines approved for use in the U.S.  This includes the AstraZeneca vaccine.

For Americans wanting to travel to Norway, the barrier still is that Americans' proof of vaccination is the paper card issued by the CDC, which is capable of being forged.   The U.S. has said there will be no government based national vaccine registry, leaving us without the kind of reliable evidence of vaccination available to residents of the E.U. and the U.K.  Unless Norway decides to accept the state records as proof, we will have to wait for private companies' vaccine "passports" to be deemed reliable, which hopefully will come soon.

I think it’s more than forgeries.  From what I read Norway viewed the WHO rates of infection (% tests positive and numbers per 100,000) in the USA to be too high.  Hopefully these rates improve. 

In the UK we have the option of travel using a printed version of the digital proof of vaccine. Perhaps it's a case of how the piece of paper/card is issued and the information it contains rather than being paper or electronic? 

Am thinking in the same way as an e visa is recorded centrally, shows up online and can be printed out 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

In the UK we have the option of travel using a printed version of the digital proof of vaccine. Perhaps it's a case of how the piece of paper/card is issued and the information it contains rather than being paper or electronic? 

Am thinking in the same way as an e visa is recorded centrally, shows up online and can be printed out 

Yes, The UK digital version (on your phone or paper) has a QR code that reads back to a verification source (your vaccination record with the government). So it’s just like an e visa.  I was shocked on a recent cruise the random unverifiable and certainly open to forgery records some guests carried as proof.  There’s already been cases in the US of forged versions being used so as to fly or cruise.  That will be one of the many things Norway will be considering as well as case rates and % of the population fully vaccinated in different age bands. 

We hope our Northern Lights adventure will happen, but respect Norway’s right to say no to some groups if they feel they need to. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, Heidi13 said:

Viking also require all pax to be vaccinated.

Since resuming operations, Viking accepted WHO/EU/FDA approved vaccines and although the recent document relating to US departures didn't mention mixed vaccines, our TA has participated in a call with Viking and regardless of the US CDC, they will continue accepting mixed vaccines. If we can get into the US, we could board the vessel.

I expect the US CDC will eventually accept AZ and mixed vaccines, I believe it is a low probability of happening by next month, in time for the RFG. Therefore, we have moved on and are planning additional travels. 

It appears that the US will accept mixed vaccines for international travelers entering the country as I had conjectured, although I would await the CDC's official publication of the rules to see exactly what the acceptable combinations are :

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-will-accept-mixed-doses-vaccines-international-travelers-2021-10-15/

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It appears that the US will accept mixed vaccines for international travelers entering the country as I had conjectured, although I would await the CDC's official publication of the rules to see exactly what the acceptable combinations are :

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-will-accept-mixed-doses-vaccines-international-travelers-2021-10-15/

Thanks for posting. Since we are so close to the border, it was the lead story on our news last night. I agree, best waiting for an official announcement from the US CDC.

Just received a message in My Journey that shore excursions were open for us to book today, but no shore excursions showing.  As this is our first time sailing with Viking is this normal or perhaps a sign that without travellers from the USA our early January cruise in search of the northern lights is a non starter?

• Like 1