ArriveCAN

trtog7

44 minutes ago, emairs said:

Can a couple use one ArriveCAN app, or does each person have their own app?

Yep, I agree with Fouremco, I completed all info for me and my husband in my app at the same time and our receipt noted both of our names with one confirmation number.  

Great info fellow Canucks, thx.

I'm assuming the medical center on board does the PCR test which has to be 2 days before returning to Canada ... was it hard to get a booking for it? ... can you book it several days ahead? ... cost?

Thx.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

I'm assuming the medical center on board does the PCR test which has to be 2 days before returning to Canada ... was it hard to get a booking for it? ... can you book it several days ahead? ... cost?

Thx.

Sorry, this relates to Celebrity, and I think Royal is the same. Some other cruise lines are different. I don’t think Carnival is doing testing on the ship for flights home.

See details in my post below on the Celebrity Equinox. Test is free. Sign up with front desk when you get on the ship, and they put you on the list. Make sure you let them know you are Canadian and need a PCR test to go home. On our ship it looked like they had contracted with a lab to have a bunch of workers doing the tests in the conference rooms on deck 14 (the ship workers also were getting tested once a week, so lots of testing).  FYI, Canada requirement is test 72 hours before the scheduled departure time to Canada. 

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

Thx.

It depends on the cruise line. Celebrity provides a PCR test at no charge to Canadians on the last full day of the cruise. Booking is no problem.

A small point: the test doesn't have to be 2 days before returning, but within 72 hours of your return flight. In the Celebrity case, the test is only 1 day before, assuming you are flying home on disembarkation day. On the other hand, that gives you freedom to overnight in port and flying home the next day. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It depends on the cruise line. Celebrity provides a PCR test at no charge to Canadians on the last full day of the cruise. Booking is no problem.

A small point: the test doesn't have to be 2 days before returning, but within 72 hours of your return flight. In the Celebrity case, the test is only 1 day before, assuming you are flying home on disembarkation day. On the other hand, that gives you freedom to overnight in port and flying home the next day. 

Definitely does on the cruise line. Princess has decided to forgo testing on board and apparently tests pax with ongoing flights, for free, only after disembarkation. Adds yet another stressor for the return home. We'll be experiencing it on Nov 27 in PE, and our AC flight back to Montreal from FLL was recently moved UP by an hour to 13:30. Good thing we didn't have our usual 11:30 flight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Definitely does on the cruise line. Princess has decided to forgo testing on board and apparently tests pax with ongoing flights, for free, only after disembarkation. Adds yet another stressor for the return home. We'll be experiencing it on Nov 27 in PE, and our AC flight back to Montreal from FLL was recently moved UP by an hour to 13:30. Good thing we didn't have our usual 11:30 flight.

While the Princess approach of testing after disembarkation certainly isn't ideal and limits flight possibilities, at least they are providing them. With some lines, you're on your own to get tested.

Our AC flight is at 11:30, and I'd much prefer a 13:30 flight!

• Like 2

We’re in Palm Desert Ca right now. I’m stressing about getting the covid pcr test for our return.  Most places will not guarantee results in time for the flight. There is a drive through facility that claims that results will be provided in an hour for $199. However, you have to book online and there’s no number to call. Have to pay in advance. I don’t want to waste $800 for the four of us if there are any issues.

I wonder how many people miss their flights for this reason.

1 hour ago, emairs said:

We’re in Palm Desert Ca right now. I’m stressing about getting the covid pcr test for our return.  Most places will not guarantee results in time for the flight. There is a drive through facility that claims that results will be provided in an hour for $199. However, you have to book online and there’s no number to call. Have to pay in advance. I don’t want to waste $800 for the four of us if there are any issues.

If you have an Amazon account you can order their PCR kits ($38) to your location and drop them off at UPS within the window.  Rather than repeat myself I have made a few posts in This Thread.

For clarity, I am a Canadian who currently resides in the US.  Successfully entered Canada on Tuesday (also in July).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emairs said:

There seems to be a good number of locations in and around Palm Desert offering PCR  tests that could provide results in time.  You have a 72 hour window between the time of the test and the scheduled time of your flight, which should allow you to avoid the more costly rapid test. For example only, there are several Walgreens in and around Palm Desert, all showing "lots of appointments available", and their lab is currently showing a 7-day rolling average turnaround time of under 24 hours, with the highest 7-day average under 42 hours. Unlike Florida, I suspect that Palm Desert has a relatively low demand for tests and turnaround times may be faster. Good luck!

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There seems to be a good number of locations in and around Palm Desert offering PCR  tests that could provide results in time.  You have a 72 hour window between the time of the test and the scheduled time of your flight, which should allow you to avoid the more costly rapid test. For example only, there are several Walgreens in and around Palm Desert, all showing "lots of appointments available", and their lab is currently showing a 7-day rolling average turnaround time of under 24 hours, with the highest 7-day average under 42 hours. Unlike Florida, I suspect that Palm Desert has a relatively low demand for tests and turnaround times may be faster. Good luck!

Just want to give a heads up that quite a number of testing sites in the US are no longer providing travel tests.  Those appointments are being saved for patients with symptoms.  (They are cancelling scheduled appointments.)  Make sure you have a reliable backup plan. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Just want to give a heads up that quite a number of testing sites in the US are no longer providing travel tests.  Those appointments are being saved for patients with symptoms.  (They are cancelling scheduled appointments.)  Make sure you have a reliable backup plan. 

I have been following Carnival as that was the cruise line that 2/3 potential cruises were booked with. And they don't offer testing before or after the cruise (unless you are doing a B2B).

It sounds like it's moving towards the at home proctered tests as the standard for travel.

Your first hand knowledge confirms that.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, lots-of-km2 said:

It was the proof of vaccination that I uploaded as PDFs - the 2 certificates that the Ontario Ministry of Health provided.

I only have ONE document from OMH indicated I have 2 valid doses of AZ and the dates - I don't have 2 certificates???  Is this not good enough?

1 minute ago, Froufie said:

I only have ONE document from OMH indicated I have 2 valid doses of AZ and the dates - I don't have 2 certificates???  Is this not good enough?

I have mixed doses, AZ followed by Pfizer, so perhaps that explains why the Health Ministry website  had two distinct certificates for me.  My natural instinct was to upload both to ArriveCAN, because I didn't want to err on the side of omitting something. 

If you are only able to find one certificate for yourself on the Ministry's website, maybe that's consistent with what people with matched doses get? I don't know.  Hope that someone with matched doses will comment on this. 

42 minutes ago, Froufie said:

See my reply on another thread, but in short, no, one document is not sufficient. Just go to the MOH website and download your two documents. It's very easy to do, and I'll even provide the link. 😇

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

See my reply on another thread, but in short, no, one document is not sufficient. Just go to the MOH website and download your two documents. It's very easy to do, and I'll even provide the link. 😇

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

Thanks for the link  - very helpful.  Where were are you reading that the one OMH document is not sufficient.  Everywhere I am reading, and recent cruisers have all been indicating, that this document was sufficient and acceptable as their proof of vaccination?

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Thanks for the link  - very helpful.  Where were are you reading that the one OMH document is not sufficient.  Everywhere I am reading, and recent cruisers have all been indicating, that this document was sufficient and acceptable as their proof of vaccination?

Celebrity's website stated that you must present your original documents. In the case of US residents, the CDC card contains all of the information for both doses, whereas that level of proof is only available for Ontarians and residents of some other provinces by providing two documents.

In the early days of vaccinations, this question was discussed a number of times on the Celebrity board, and at least one Canadian poster had been told that it was necessary to provide detailed proof of both shots. Otherwise, they'd be unable to determine whether or not you actually met their (not Canada's) fully vaccinated status. This stance may well have changed in practise, but I've seen nothing indicating an official change.

As it's so easy to print and carry both sheets of paper, why take a chance? Particularly at a time when a lot of attention is being turned to the disconnect between Canadian and US perspectives on what constitutes fully vaccinated.

That said, I have double Moderna and have no reservation showing the details. Nevertheless, I can understand why someone with an AZ-mRNA mixed dose might be tempted to sneak by with just that second shot document. Quite a risk to take IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Froufie said:

You do have two certificates. When you log into the site it shows first dose and second dose certificates.

My son received the same type (Pfizer) and has two documents as well.

To add... many work places are asking for proof of vaccination and are asking for both documents. I did that for both places I worke at.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Froufie said:

I have read that the cruise lines are checking the dates of both doses and thus need to see both documents.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CruiserRob said:

I have read that the cruise lines are checking the dates of both doses and thus need to see both documents.

What about folks with official provincial gvt documents showing all details of both shots, along with a QR code, on a single piece of paper?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

What about folks with official provincial gvt documents showing all details of both shots, along with a QR code, on a single piece of paper?

That would be fine.

I think the conversation is about those in Ontario (and other provinces) where each dose was on a different document.

And the added piece was what if you don't show the first document and thus they don't know that you got a different dose as your first.

I know it is sounding very Ontario centric and it's good to remember that we are from across the country and every province did things just a little different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

That would be fine.

I think the conversation is about those in Ontario (and other provinces) where each dose was on a different document.

And the added piece was what if you don't show the first document and thus they don't know that you got a different dose as your first.

I know it is sounding very Ontario centric and it's good to remember that we are from across the country and every province did things just a little different.

Yes, that was the point I made in post #43, but perhaps should have put more emphasis on it.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 11:09 PM, jillyalex said:

Just to confirm RCCL does the PCR test on board? Is it a deep nasal swab or ?

No charge? Thanks so much, Jill 

We were on Serenade Sept. 20-27th. RCCL did our deep nasal swab PCR test on Sun. Sept 26th 10:00 in the medical room deck 2 and we pick-up negative results letter after 4:oo. This was done at no cost. Told us if results were positive they would have got ahold of us. 

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

You are lucky to have ONE document with all the specific details of your two shots (including dates and types) - this is not the case in Ontario.  As for the QR code we are about to get that here as well - but I understand that does not provide any vaccination details - just shows you are fully vaccinated (and thus would not be suitable or acceptable I guess to board any ship).

3 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

May I ask where you have read this?  Which cruise lines?