Local TA, National TA, or HAL PCC?

mobilemac

I've always used a local cruise agency to book our cruises rather than shopping around.  Although we normally pick a stateroom when we book, I'm looking at a February cruise and am OK going for a guarantee veranda option on the Koningsdam.  This seems like a good time to at least consider using one of the national TA firms or a HAL PCC.  Compared to a local TA, your thoughts or recommendations about the three booking options? ... pricing, benefits, OBCs, etc.  Thanks

I stopped using a local TA more years ago than I can count.  When the good one retired, I discovered I knew more about cruising than most of the local TA’s here - sad but true.

Not sure what a National TA is but mine is in the United States and does let me book in Canadian dollars.  She also gives me OBC and is very knowledgeable.  It’s rare when I need help but if I do, she really rises to the occasion beautifully.

Not all TA’s give discounts or OBC but there are a number out there that do.

Some here on the boards prefer using a PCC (who is employed by HAL).  There are no benefits except in service if you get a good one.  For some, the service is worth it.  Only you can decide.

There are good TA’s/PCC & poor ones just like so many other things in life.  Once you do find a good TA or PCC, hang on to them.  They are worth their weight in gold.

• Like 3

I am all about the cheapest price and need minimal servicing...As kazoo referenced, I know a lot about cruising (or so I think)....I've shopped various online agencies and landed on one that ALWAYS gives us the lowest price...(I do compare every time)..And the service is fine for what I need.

This is just me but I would never book directly with the cruise line.....I still have a belief that you need an "agent/advocate" when dealing with an expensive travel purchase w/several moving parts. Plus, it costs more.

As for using a local travel agent.....in the past (and it has been many years ago) when I shopped local it was enough more $$$ to not be worth it for me.

Of course, YMMV and it's good we have lots of choices......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I am all about the cheapest price and need minimal servicing...As kazoo referenced, I know a lot about cruising (or so I think)....I've shopped various online agencies and landed on one that ALWAYS gives us the lowest price...(I do compare every time)..And the service is fine for what I need.

This is just me but I would never book directly with the cruise line.....I still have a belief that you need an "agent/advocate" when dealing with an expensive travel purchase w/several moving parts. Plus, it costs more.

As for using a local travel agent.....in the past (and it has been many years ago) when I shopped local it was enough more $$$ to not be worth it for me.

Of course, YMMV and it's good we have lots of choices......

Agree 100% with all of this.

• Like 1

I began booking cruises with a regional TA affiliated as a subcontractor with a major Department Chain.  Excellent experiences and no problems with good advice offered on many occasions.  The original agent passed; the owner of the agency assumed  my last booking and provided excellent service.  Soon afterwards, they left the business.

I took my business to a well known national agency and was very pleased for a number of years.  Then, my agent retired, the woman who inherited my account did an "OK" job.  She left.  My account passed to another agent who was "OK minus". 

In the meantime, because of contacts with other cruise guests, I became aware of a national agency whose founder was the wife of the CEO of HAL.  Contacted an agent there and was pleased for many, many cruises.  Then, for whatever reasons, an Executive left that agency and formed his own and hired several of the former agency's agents (who were among the best, I think).  I have continued to work with that agency and my agent.  With whom I will place my next cruise booking?  Whom do you think?  

It's been an evolution of agencies and agents for me.  But, it has also been a very beneficial learning experience as well.     

• Like 1

I have a wonderful "local" TA who works for a midsized agency (actually they are on the opposite side of the country and we were referred by a friend). She is very knowledgable and provides great service. When she retires I will probably switch to booking direct. I like having a single point of contact who then deals with the cruise line, but it is difficult to find a good one. 

We finally found a really good local TA. She has gone to bat for us, and won, on a number of things that we couldn’t have done. We just don’t have access to the same resources she does, and a PCC who works for the cruise line can’t fight their employer the same way.

We also discovered the hard way that in troubled times a good TA is the best travel insurance you will ever have. We were stuck at sea in March 2020 with crappy internet and flights cancelled under our feet. We just had to get a message to her and she dealt with everything. For one of her other clients, she got them on a repatriation flight, picked up their car and got it home, and bought groceries and wine because they couldn’t shop themselves. A PCC can’t do that.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

My best advice :  Don’t do it yourself online.  It doesn’t make a lot of difference where the TA is located but you may need an advocate to help you communicate with the cruise line.  Once you have your booking number you will have to deal with the agent or agency you booked with.  A large agency will have access. to a contact with the cruise lines to adjust prices or make changes.  You will have to let them know what you need….price match, paid upgrade, etc.  Some people have a really good TA who will monitor the booking for you.  There are too many pitfalls to booking directly online.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

My best advice :  Don’t do it yourself online.

I agree with this.....unlike an airline seat, there are more moving parts and, in my experience, you need a human to do things like get you waitlisted for early dining, verify if your shareholder OBC posted, and other ends and outs of getting a cruise booked.....

Self service online misses out on stuff.....But if you want to see what prices are and play around with "fake bookings" to learn about prices, a self service online site is a good place to start or use to keep up with price drops. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We finally found a really good local TA. She has gone to bat for us, and won, on a number of things that we couldn’t have done. We just don’t have access to the same resources she does, and a PCC who works for the cruise line can’t fight their employer the same way.

This has been my experience too and one of the main reasons I keep using them. I really enjoy the personal service.

8 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

My best advice :  Don’t do it yourself online.

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Self service online misses out on stuff.....But if you want to see what prices are and play around with "fake bookings" to learn about prices, a self service online site is a good place to start or use to keep up with price drops. 

I will often put the booking on hold and then after confirming the initial details on the confirmation email I will make a deposit and then transfer the booking to my TA. This gives me the best of both worlds in terms of getting the reservation/price/cabin I want and still having the TA manage the booking after that.

• Like 3

We are 4* Mariners.  We used to use a local travel agency, but switched to the big box TA in Issaquah, Washington because of the rebate of a portion of their fees in the form of an on board credit.  The rebate amounts to about 4 or 5% of the total cost of the cruise.  The on board credit has been discontinued and the rebate is in the form of a credit that can only be used in one of their stores.  If you shop at their store, it can be a good deal.  Also the big box agency does not cover all cruise lines.  However we do most of our cruising on HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not think it matters where your TA happens to be.  The only issue is whether or not you are happy with the service.  Our strong preference is avoid cruise line sales reps/PCC's or whatever they like to refer to themselves as.  

We live in Canada,  our former internet based TA for cruises was in Florida.  We used a UK TA for Greece/Cyprus and for two  last minute AI’s in Mexico pre covid.

We booked an Australian cruise by calling the cruise line's Sydney, Australia call center to take advantage of a significant saving in fare.

Several years ago we used a TA in South Africa rather than a local TA in our city who claimed to ‘specialize’ in Africa. Better service, better offerings, better pricing.

The internet has brought the world to our home….or anywhere else we happen to be.  No different than calling a  TA in the  neighborhood where we live. 

We only care about  price. independent advice,  and whether the service level meets our needs.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I think others have made most of the points pro and con. 

The most important thing is, if you find you are not happy with a TA, you have a choice of telling them why and/or just moving on with your next booking.  Many local TAs are affiliated with large consortiums and often get lower rates or, more commonly, extra perks like OBC. I would not let that be the factor for that reason.

If you have a serious problem with a booking, the local TA who is part of a large consortium is more likely to go to bat hard for you. Honestly, not to knock the HAL PCC or the Big Box, but they are big enough they don't care that much if you walk away on your next booking.  The local TA, who is trying to maintain a good local reputation for service, is more likely to push harder and longer for resolution. 

For some Covid refunds, we had to fight for a year to get a refund for someone!  The Big Box (at least the one I think you mean)  rebated you virtually all of their commission and really does not want to invest that kind of time into resolution.

• Like 3

I have used TAs as well as booking directly.  I have had good experiences booking directly, but have received more onboard credit or gratuities paid by the TA.  I currently use a TA on the west coast (we live in NC) and have been very pleased with the service and value.  I see no advantage in using a local TA, everything is done by phone, text or email so location is less important than the service provided.

• Like 1

I really could care less how folks choose to book their cruises.  If somebody buys a new car and prefers to pay the sticker price then that is their decision.  And booking directly with most cruise lines is like paying the sticker price.  We prefer to

find the best overall financial deal which is generally with a reputable high volume discount cruise agency or some smaller agencies that are part of a large consortium.

Hank

• Like 2

That's cool. Just don't assume the smaller TA, local or not,  cannot meet or beat the other prices. As always, if price is your sole consideration, shop around.

Many can. To each their own, but I have seen estimates that about 80% of cruisers choose to book through a TA and not direct. I suspect that many of them don't want to spend many hours to save $50 or whatever and prefer to have high quality advice and service.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:30 PM, shank63 said:

I have used TAs as well as booking directly.  I have had good experiences booking directly, but have received more onboard credit or gratuities paid by the TA.  I currently use a TA on the west coast (we live in NC) and have been very pleased with the service and value.  I see no advantage in using a local TA, everything is done by phone, text or email so location is less important than the service provided.

While I use a local TA, you’ve hit the heart of the matter. It doesn’t matter where your TA is. What matters is how good they are and how well they will fight for you if something isn’t right.

• Like 3