MSC is not like the 'other' cruise lines...expect a different experience...or just book the 'others'

NMsunset

Hi Cruisers!

I don't post much, as being a critic and or complainer is not my personality...no time in my life to tilt at windmills. I travel and enjoy living in the real world vs. the digital world.

Pro-trip for reviews, if you mention that you love, hate or in the middle with food or other experience...it is helpful to share a couple of examples of what you do like that others can relate to. Example....I really like Ruth Chris and found Butchers Cut to be xyz...

I love Disneyworld and their beach amenities, yet found Ocean Caye to be blah blah better or worse.

No one cares what you personally like or dislike...but some just have to overshare...

This like all sites know that drama and controversy means clicks and ad $$$...

Some of us actually want to give/share/receive useful information to help others.

AMA, as I have cruised MSC many times...if I did not like it...I would not complain nor continue to post or book. Look in the mirror, you chose to book MSC...maybe it's on you!

As many here have said, each persons attitude is the primary factor if they have a good time.

Cheers!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, NMsunset said:

As many here have said, each persons attitude is the primary factor if they have a good time.

Cheers!

The "Title" of your post is perfect, completely agree! Although I have not seen it recently, most likely because cruising has been silent for so long, I was tired of people cruising MSC and expecting it to be similar to Royal of Carnival or whatever. 

• Like 1

We all like living in the digital world and the real world, we are here to help out fellow cruisers and share our experiences for the better of everyone.  

It's important to let people know what they're getting into though I believe.   For anyone that was on MSC prepandemic and post pandemic, I will tell you,, the biggest changes were absence of men in speedos and scantily class clothed women around the pool deck.  This is a direct result of not having any Italians, South Americans, and Spaniards on the boat, because in those countries that is the normal attire and beach wear  is much more revealing.  There were also lots of kids running around missing, which I lament having two of my own that were with us.  The shows were much much more varied then whereas now they're very directed towards American only audiences with only musical and dance components currently I believe, at least in the Mera.  

If you work out daily like me, I will say that their gyms are awesome on MSC boats.  They use a set of machines called techno gym which are designed really well and have some neat computer assistance screens to go with them.  

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

The "Title" of your post is perfect, completely agree! Although I have not seen it recently, most likely because cruising has been silent for so long, I was tired of people cruising MSC and expecting it to be similar to Royal of Carnival or whatever. 

That’s exactly why we love MSC. It’s not like Carnival or Royal. It reminds us of how cruising use to be 25 years ago. Unfortunately our fear is as Americans cruise MSC more and more they will fold to the pressure and just become an extension of Walmart and Target……oops! Meant Carnival & Royal!  

• Like 6

If people would take their time, and do just a little research, they would know what to expect. The same is true if they go with an open mind, instead of dreading the cruise before they even get on the ship because they read something bad on CC.

• Like 5

I totally understand your point, when I say that MSC is my least favourite cruise company I explain why. Contrarely to other cruise companies MSC allways messed up with my reservations. I only cruised 3 times with MSC and I have another cruise booked and i had problems with all the cruises (example, they gave me the wrong cabin, they split our group of 6 so we could not dine together or check in together, they messed up with our internet credit so we had no internet during most part of the cruise, internet that we paid, they give no answers to any of my questions- they say that i must contact the travel agency and then the travel agency contact them and they take like 3 or 4 weeks to answer, they booked the wrong excursions and only told us the day before, and other things like that...) I know those are only details but there is a lot considering that I never had this problems with other companies. Other thing that I don't like in MSC is that we only get the basic things. For instance in my last cruises we had several restaurantes where to dine, we don't have to pay more for it,  in MSC we have the buffett and the MDR, everything else is extra. In MSC i also miss the big show productions that we had in other companies, I will pay for the show in my next cruise because I was reading that those are great and similar to what we get in other companies. Saying that, MSC is my least favourite but i still cruising with them, I like the ships and the itineraries, love the theme nights and...never had a bad cruise 🙂

7 hours ago, framboesa said:

I totally understand your point, when I say that MSC is my least favourite cruise company I explain why. Contrarely to other cruise companies MSC allways messed up with my reservations. I only cruised 3 times with MSC and I have another cruise booked and i had problems with all the cruises (example, they gave me the wrong cabin, they split our group of 6 so we could not dine together or check in together, they messed up with our internet credit so we had no internet during most part of the cruise, internet that we paid, they give no answers to any of my questions- they say that i must contact the travel agency and then the travel agency contact them and they take like 3 or 4 weeks to answer, they booked the wrong excursions and only told us the day before, and other things like that...) I know those are only details but there is a lot considering that I never had this problems with other companies. Other thing that I don't like in MSC is that we only get the basic things. For instance in my last cruises we had several restaurantes where to dine, we don't have to pay more for it,  in MSC we have the buffett and the MDR, everything else is extra. In MSC i also miss the big show productions that we had in other companies, I will pay for the show in my next cruise because I was reading that those are great and similar to what we get in other companies. Saying that, MSC is my least favourite but i still cruising with them, I like the ships and the itineraries, love the theme nights and...never had a bad cruise 🙂

And don’t forget…to add to your last sentence in bold print you can’t beat MSC’s price, which I believe is the number 1 reason people will put up with the terrible website and frustrating stateside customer service reps. 

Our upcoming November Divina 7 night sailing with a Fantastica Balcony with all in WiFi and easyplus drinks is costing the two of us under $2000 including taxes, fees, insurance, 2 specialty dining nights and $200 OBC

For fun I priced out a similar itinerary on NCL for the same week and added 2 of their “5 for free” options.   I added drinks and WiFi and a balcony room with insurance, taxes and fees and $0 OBC and 0 specialty restaurants priced out to $3995 for two. 

Now I sit back and ask myself if NCL is worth double what we’re paying on MSC and it’s a big HELL NO

Now if it were Regent Seven Seas or Celebrity my answer would be yes it is worth the extra $$

For the money you can’t beat MSC

• Like 2

Ha ha spoke too soon, moments after booking they just started an additional 15% (on top of the 5% I had) for Voyager Club members, so I called in and the agent immediately implemented the new rate on my reservation (I only put down deposit).  Very happy with their customer service at this point having called them twice today. At this rate, this may be my cheapest cruise ever (Divina Jan 16 11night for $2163 with Easy Plus drinks/ WIFI and $100 OBC).

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, styles27 said:

And don’t forget…to add to your last sentence in bold print you can’t beat MSC’s price, which I believe is the number 1 reason people will put up with the terrible website and frustrating stateside customer service reps. 

Our upcoming November Divina 7 night sailing with a Fantastica Balcony with all in WiFi and easyplus drinks is costing the two of us under $2000 including taxes, fees, insurance, 2 specialty dining nights and $200 OBC

For fun I priced out a similar itinerary on NCL for the same week and added 2 of their “5 for free” options.   I added drinks and WiFi and a balcony room with insurance, taxes and fees and $0 OBC and 0 specialty restaurants priced out to $3995 for two. 

Now I sit back and ask myself if NCL is worth double what we’re paying on MSC and it’s a big HELL NO

Now if it were Regent Seven Seas or Celebrity my answer would be yes it is worth the extra $$

For the money you can’t beat MSC

Actually it was not our situation in our MSC cruises, we chose based in itinerary only, but I understand your point of view. 🙂 

17 hours ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

I am sorry MSC maybe great once on board, but there customer service when u have issues prior to really does suck, they just cant seem to get it together ...we just cancelled two booking we had in Europe in march due to no help. 

The onboard experience is completely different than the pre-cruise one. I don't blame you for canceling but all I can say is you're missing out on a really great cruise line. The frustrating issues with customer service have absolutely nothing to do with the experience onboard. We always use a travel agent and we've had no issues.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to trying MSC on the Seashore Jan 2022.  I have sailed CCL, Disney, and Viking 

(ocean and river).  I for one am excited to try something with a more "European flair" (Viking falls into that category and LOVE Viking)  If I wanted CCL, I would have booked with them ( and I do, in fact, have 2 other cruises booked with them in the next year).  The status match convinced me ( CCL platinum to MSC Gold).  ANd I do use a TA.  I learned a long time ago to let someone else handle all the hassles😉.

• Like 1

I love MSC because it is NOT the other cruise lines, Carnival, NCL, etc.  MSC is different but to me in a better way.  I hope MSC never caves in USA and never becomes another Carnival, then I would have to find a different cruise line same as I did when I quit sailing Carnival for feeling like I was eating at Golden Coral, entertaining ourselves with trivia the whole time, etc

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I am looking forward to trying MSC on the Seashore Jan 2022.  I have sailed CCL, Disney, and Viking 

(ocean and river).  I for one am excited to try something with a more "European flair" (Viking falls into that category and LOVE Viking)  

I love Viking and I love MSC.

LOL - I was excited when I realize that the Viking Italian specialty restaurant matched the flavors and styles of Italian food as found in different regions of Italy.

MSC is a Neapolitan line and that is the region where the Italian food on board comes from. 

• Like 1