Sunbed trouble

emam

I have just been reading on the face about an incident on Iona with regards to sunbeds. Unfortunately I can't find the original post just replies, but it seems that a lady's father was attacked after moving some towels from a sunbed. The lady said that her dad is ok and that the doctor had given him some dressings and he had to stay out of the pools and hot tubs.

From what I can gather a lady clawed his arm after he removed a towel from a chair that no none had sat in for four hours (along with another three saved chairs). There is a photo and the man has a couple of bruises along with two red bloody marks on his arm. The security guards had said that they could have the lady arrested at Southampton, but the man didn't want to do so.

The post ends with P&O are looking at ways to stop sunbed saving - not much good for her father but hopefully will help in the future.

• Like 1

The only way it will ever stop is if somebody is made an example of and are arrested by police on their return to Southampton. If the person involved has bruises and bloody marks and had to visit a doctor then that is an actual assault and the woman involved wants arresting and charged. Perhaps then P&O will do something but I very much doubt it because they have been saying "they are looking into it" for years and nothing has changed.

• Like 4

P & O should have gone over the poor chaps head and chucked them off the ship and charged her with assault. If she did that to an elderly gent just think what she is doing elsewhere in the community. Not a good example to any kids she might have. 

Pity the papers didn’t pick up on it and named and shamed her. - or did they?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The only way it will ever stop is if somebody is made an example of and are arrested by police on their return to Southampton. If the person involved has bruises and bloody marks and had to visit a doctor then that is an actual assault and the woman involved wants arresting and charged. Perhaps then P&O will do something but I very much doubt it because they have been saying "they are looking into it" for years and nothing has changed.

The problem would appear to be that the victim was not prepared to press charges, which is a great shame.  It is the same on land here for such cases.

I would have expected P&O to disembark the lady at the next port though, if before Southampton, or at least confine her to her cabin for the safety of others.  I am wondering if disembarking someone in those circumstances abroad now is a lot more difficult because of covid restrictions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, amajaa said:

P & O should have gone over the poor chaps head and chucked them off the ship and charged her with assault. If she did that to an elderly gent just think what she is doing elsewhere in the community. Not a good example to any kids she might have. 

Pity the papers didn’t pick up on it and named and shamed her. - or did they?

Unless somebody contacted a national paper then you can say for certain that P&O certainly wouldnt because of the bad publicity and putting off future customers from booking with them, but they cannot keep on turning a blind eye because it is not going away and will get worse until somebody is seriously hurt.

• Like 1

There would be no evidence if the person assaulted didn't formally complain, therefore P&O's hands are tied.

There should be deck lounger monitors available who could take possession of property when a lounger is left absent for a designated time. Too many feel they have a reservation for the day once theit towel and maybe a book is left.

• Like 1

I removed a book and towel from a sunbed once.  We had been sitting on chairs near the bar area on Azura and these beds had nobody on them for 2 hours, so we moved the belongings to a table and sat on the sunbeds.  After another half an hour this couple arrived and proceeded to shout at me saying they had only been gone for 20 minutes.  Luckily another passenger agreed they hadn't been there for 2 hours at least.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

There would be no evidence if the person assaulted didn't formally complain, therefore P&O's hands are tied.

There should be deck lounger monitors available who could take possession of property when a lounger is left absent for a designated time. Too many feel they have a reservation for the day once theit towel and maybe a book is left.

Always thought that most public areas of the ship are monitored by CCTV I am sure that would show the assault and give evidential proof.

This happened early on in the cruise - 2nd sea day I think up on Deck 19. We were on 18 and a couple came down having witnessed it and moved to sit next to us. Security were called and we fully expected the perpetrator to be taken off the ship at Cadiz.

Despite there being notices all round the ship and daily in the Horizon paper about not moving furniture, 1 'gentleman' insisted on pulling/shoving a heavy chair in the Club House, bumping into my wife's chair. No apology and when she reminded him of the rules he was very dismissive and rude. The next day we were in the library when he approached us looking for an argument. I told him to walk away or I would call security, at which point he said he would 'have me.' I just looked at his paunch and laughed before he slunk away.

As the saying goes, there's always one, though it appears there may have been at least two on this cruise!

59 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

This happened early on in the cruise - 2nd sea day I think up on Deck 19. We were on 18 and a couple came down having witnessed it and moved to sit next to us. Security were called and we fully expected the perpetrator to be taken off the ship at Cadiz.

Despite there being notices all round the ship and daily in the Horizon paper about not moving furniture, 1 'gentleman' insisted on pulling/shoving a heavy chair in the Club House, bumping into my wife's chair. No apology and when she reminded him of the rules he was very dismissive and rude. The next day we were in the library when he approached us looking for an argument. I told him to walk away or I would call security, at which point he said he would 'have me.' I just looked at his paunch and laughed before he slunk away.

As the saying goes, there's always one, though it appears there may have been at least two on this cruise!

Oh my what nasty people there are around. Good job most people aren’t like that 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Why do you think this is ?

Is it the pricing structure of P&O that allows these "Types" to afford to go cruising nowadays ?

they should be reported to security and video taken of the incident, and then should be made available for news stations like GB news who have featured items like this in the past few weeks.

awful people behavior indeed.

You're assuming it's only the lower classes and poorer members of society that have anti social tendencies, I suspect it's far more widespread than that.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You're assuming it's only the lower classes and poorer members of society that have anti social tendencies, I suspect it's far more widespread than that.

Exactly - money doesn't come into it. An oik is an oik regardless of class, money, social standing etc.

• Like 8

I'm not defending the lady as I agree she probably deserved to be disembarked 

However, anybody who decides to move somebody elses belongings from a sunbed or similar IMO is just inviting conflict once the owners of the belongings return

Should be ships crew who do stuff like that and then deal with any consequences

IMO

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm not defending the lady as I agree she probably deserved to be disembarked 

However, anybody who decides to move somebody elses belongings from a sunbed or similar IMO is just inviting conflict once the owners of the belongings return

Should be ships crew who do stuff like that and then deal with any consequences

IMO

Sorry, that just lets the chair hogs win! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, that just lets the chair hogs win! 

Not at all. I'm saying report to senior crew and get them to remove the stuff.

Then when the chair hogs come back just tell them you saw the crew moving a lot of stuff from sunbeds that hadn't been used for a while

Take it in your own hands and you just ask for trouble 

IMO

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not at all. I'm saying report to senior crew and get them to remove the stuff.

Then when the chair hogs come back just tell them you saw the crew moving a lot of stuff from sunbeds that hadn't been used for a while

Take it in your own hands and you just ask for trouble 

IMO

You have as much chance of getting the crew to remove belongings from a sun bed as winning the lottery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Is it the pricing structure of P&O that allows these "Types" to afford to go cruising nowadays ?

I really don't think that this is the issue - there are many people who can afford very expensive holidays who are obnoxious in every way. The main issue is the lack of action by the cruise lines to ensure that sunbeds are used correctly, combined with a pent up frustration caused by the insidious truths, half truths and un-truths fed to us by every level of media over the past 18 months. 

Ask any person working in a face to face job and you will get the same answer - people are losing patience at every level.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Why do you think this is ?

they should be reported to security and video taken of the incident, and then should be made available for news stations like GB news who have featured items like this in the past few weeks.

awful people behavior indeed.

People who are affluent are those ‘types’ too, I’ve witnessed it! Money has absolutely nothing to do with it, it all comes down to common courtesy and manners. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, UndiscoverdTraveller said:

People who are affluent are those ‘types’ too, I’ve witnessed it! Money has absolutely nothing to do with it, it all comes down to common courtesy and manners. 

Your wrong if you have money your entitled to be treated that much better than the lower classes, hence why the slow deterioration in the standards on p&o can be attributed to a certain type

• Like 1
  • Haha 2