BinaxNOW Home Tests - Make Sure to Have a Backup Plan

RichYak

Travel days used to be the most stressful days for me. Not any more. That's been supplanted by "Covid Test Day." Today was that day for me.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a 3-pack of home tests for me and my wife from Optum through Celebrity's link. The third test was intended to be a backup and I'm glad I spent the extra money. One of the activator liquid bottles was empty, invalidating the kit, and I needed to use the third one. Did I mention how stressed I already was?

Thankfully, the third kit was fine and we both tested negative.

Moral: Have AT LEAST one backup plan. Beyond the extra test kit, I had identified a local walk-in testing site from a flyer I received in the mail (it seemed sketchy but I would have tried it if necessary) AND we both had CVS appointments for later in the day (now cancelled) just in case.

Time to exhale, then start packing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

That's about the 5th incident of reagent failure we've heard here just in the X area of CC alone.  Empty and 'bubbles' ... geez.  Have to wonder what the overall failure rate has been on this product?

Not even a bubble for me. It was bone dry.

Backstory FWIW: When I ordered the 3-pack, they only sent 2. I had to call customer service to have them send a third. It was that third test (from a different lot) that had the empty bottle. The telemed professional took note of the lot #. I'll call customer service later to see if they can refund me.

I just booked yesterday for a cruise that sails Tuesday.  First-timer here!  I ordered the BINAX tests right away!  Need to schedule a CVS backup.  Is the rapid test ok or do I need the other one for travel on Celebrity?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, tlcm said:

I just booked yesterday for a cruise that sails Tuesday.  First-timer here!  I ordered the BINAX tests right away!  Need to schedule a CVS backup.  Is the rapid test ok or do I need the other one for travel on Celebrity?  Thanks!

Rapid test is fine. https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Thanks 1

The exact same thing happened to us. When we attempted the home test, the bottle containing  liquid was empty. Luckily we had ordered a set of three so we had a back up. We were given a number to  call for a replacement. Here's where it really gets weird. They promptly sent us six more test kits,  yes six more free! A friend of ours is cruising soon, so we gave some to her.

We have a cruise in January and I went inline to order the binax test. Glad i read the small print- the kits expire on Dec 21,2021. I called Optum, the supply company and they said they are hoping to get kits with later dates, but they keep receiving kits with that expiration date. 

We just finished our tests and they went ok but we had scheduled a back up at Walgreens just in case there was an issue. Have cancelled those but I will say the whole test thing has been stressful because getting an appointment at a pharmacy was difficult and it was some distance away even though we are in a metro area. On the other hand I feel safer cruising knowing people have to be tested so on balance I would prefer they keep the test requirement at least for now -- just wish there could be a better overall procedure since stressing about it takes some fun out of getting ready to go.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Not even a bubble for me. It was bone dry.

Backstory FWIW: When I ordered the 3-pack, they only sent 2. I had to call customer service to have them send a third. It was that third test (from a different lot) that had the empty bottle. The telemed professional took note of the lot #. I'll call customer service later to see if they can refund me.

We too had this happen (while overseas on a land trip, no less) but fortunately had one "extra" test with us which was intact. The proctor did report the issue and we were contacted by email the next week - it took a while but they did replace the defective kit ( and we also received a pack of 6 as replacement).

Quick question to the OP: I had ordered the 2 test pack from Optum as a backup for our upcoming departure and I'm still hoping they will just be a backup.  But my question is this, can I open these tests and see if the reagent is missing or has an issue without having to take the test right then?

I'm hoping to be proactive and replace any defective kits before we sail on the 8th.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Quick question to the OP: I had ordered the 2 test pack from Optum as a backup for our upcoming departure and I'm still hoping they will just be a backup.  But my question is this, can I open these tests and see if the reagent is missing or has an issue without having to take the test right then?

I'm hoping to be proactive and replace any defective kits before we sail on the 8th.

Thanks!

Not the OP but a previous user- no -do not open the test kit before you are on the proctored session and are told to open it- that will invalidate the kit

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

Not the OP but a previous user- no -do not open the test kit before you are on the proctored session and are told to open it- that will invalidate the kit

Thanks for the information.  I was afraid of that.  I'm really concerned about the QC on these tests.  I've seen far too many with dry or bad reagents!  And now I just have to hope that I can get to a local in person site in Newark (without having a car) as my Plan A.

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

A few weeks ago, I ordered a 3-pack of home tests for me and my wife from Optum through Celebrity's link. The third test was intended to be a backup and I'm glad I spent the extra money. One of the activator liquid bottles was empty, invalidating the kit, and I needed to use the third one. Did I mention how stressed I already was?

I ordered the tests as well. Then I found Walgreens does the tests locally and for FREE with results in a couple of hours. Thought ordering the tests was a good idea as Walgreens wouldn't give an appointment until this week. Will keep the unopened test at home as a back up in case I need it for my next cruise

2 hours ago, molemaui said:

I ordered the tests as well. Then I found Walgreens does the tests locally and for FREE with results in a couple of hours. Thought ordering the tests was a good idea as Walgreens wouldn't give an appointment until this week. Will keep the unopened test at home as a back up in case I need it for my next cruise

Be sure that they aren't just showing appointments that they may not be able to complete.  Many Walgreens, CVS and similar retailers are constantly reporting a lack of supplies to conduct these tests.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Be sure that they aren't just showing appointments that they may not be able to complete.  Many Walgreens, CVS and similar retailers are constantly reporting a lack of supplies to conduct these tests.

Got our tests and results within 90 minutes. All good. 

• Like 1

We are currently on the Millennium for a Pacific Coastal. Our first test kit was fine but the proctors were barely intelligible. Our next kit didn’t have a swab so we had to open a spare kit which was fine and the proctors were great. Moreover they submitted a trouble ticket and a replacement kit is on the way.

For both tests we only waited a minute or two to make the connection.

Fortunately we packed all six test kits! 

MARK

• Like 1

Ordered the 3-kit because our daughter is going with us. Then watched a YouTube of a guy doing the test and he accidentally knocked the kit off the table and had to use another kit.  I immediately ordered a 2-kit set as backup!  

even happier after reading this. Thanks. 

i mentioned this on another thread but we are teaching adult classes and in contact with more than normal so after the last class, will get a CVS free test to insure ok 3 weeks prior to the cruise so no surprises  then test for the cruise when required. 

den

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

If they would just go back to a 3 day requirement that would alleviate the problem for so many of us!  Or start providing back-up testing at the port.  Why oh why have they not done that by now?!?!?

Yes and a 3 day turn-around RT-PCR test is a better option to detect virus than the 2-day antigen "rapid" tests.  The RT-PCR will detect asymptomatic infected people.  The antigen requires active infection and replication producing antigen.  So the safety screen going from 3 days to 2 days has the opposite effect as it forces the antigen test over the RT-PCR test.  Of course nobody looked at this.

Is there a post on CC that lists all the places to get the Rapid test in FLL? We will be flying all day Thursday so unable to take the test until Friday. Staying at Lago Mar. 

We were also thinking of buying the test off Celebrity website as a back up. Just putting in carry-on. 

Will have all day Friday to get this done. Thanks for helping us.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes and a 3 day turn-around RT-PCR test is a better option to detect virus than the 2-day antigen "rapid" tests.  The RT-PCR will detect asymptomatic infected people.  The antigen requires active infection and replication producing antigen.  So the safety screen going from 3 days to 2 days has the opposite effect as it forces the antigen test over the RT-PCR test.  Of course nobody looked at this.

I am not disagreeing with your point that the PCR test is more sensitive, but the problem for some folks is the turnaround time for a PCR test.  Yes, one ought to be able to get the results in three days, but from the comments I have been reading in various boards here, not everyone has easy access to these tests, nor can afford to pay for a PCR test with guaranteed-time results.  I suspect most folks who have to travel to a port would prefer to have their test results before leaving home.  A PCR test requirement, given the turnaround time, might make that difficult.  

1 minute ago, pooh/tigger said:

Is there a post on CC that lists all the places to get the Rapid test in FLL? We will be flying all day Thursday so unable to take the test until Friday. Staying at Lago Mar. 

We were also thinking of buying the test off Celebrity website as a back up. Just putting in carry-on. 

Will have all day Friday to get this done. Thanks for helping us.

Here you go.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2803697-rapid-antigen-test-in-ft-lauderdale/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2800304-where-can-a-get-the-fast-result-covid-rapt-antigen-test-in-fort-lauderdale/?tab=comments#comment-61786070

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I am not disagreeing with your point that the PCR test is more sensitive, but the problem for some folks is the turnaround time for a PCR test.  Yes, one ought to be able to get the results in three days, but from the comments I have been reading in various boards here, not everyone has easy access to these tests, nor can afford to pay for a PCR test with guaranteed-time results.  I suspect most folks who have to travel to a port would prefer to have their test results before leaving home.  A PCR test requirement, given the turnaround time, might make that difficult.  

Yes I understand the turn around time issue for some.  I was just commenting on the thought that going to 2 days eliminates the PCR test that is a better screen for asymptomatic infections. 

• Like 1