Disembarking in Civitavecchia ??

jtslattery

Nubie on Celebrity. Planning on leaving the port and going directly to the airport in a private car but flexible if this isn't the best way, Air was arranged by Celebrity. How do I go about making sure I get off in time to make it to the airport for my flight out of Rome? Haven't been to that port in 10 years but understand they have made changes. How do you get from luggage claim area to where private cars are waiting?

38 minutes ago, jtslattery said:

Nubie on Celebrity. Planning on leaving the port and going directly to the airport in a private car but flexible if this isn't the best way, Air was arranged by Celebrity. How do I go about making sure I get off in time to make it to the airport for my flight out of Rome? Haven't been to that port in 10 years but understand they have made changes. How do you get from luggage claim area to where private cars are waiting?

Limo’s are lined up directly outside. If the transfer is with Celebrity there will be a representative from the limo company with your name on a list. If not the Driver will have a piece of paper with your name on

We were able to save some money over a private transfer by doing a shared shuttle through one of the highly rated private transfer companies. It was us and another family. The ride was comfortable and quick, definitely faster than if we had waited for 50 other people to board a bus. We did self walk-off. The driver excepted credit card, and we didn’t have to pay until he dropped us off.

• Like 1

I did a cruise to/from "Rome" 5 years ago.  We had arranged the same private transfer to the port and then from the port to the FCO airport.

The transfer from the hotel to the port was perfect.

However, when the ship arrived, there was a delay in getting off.  We got off at our earliest opportunity, but the driver couldn't wait for us, so we ended up hanging out with our bags on a hot day for hours, with calls back and forth to the transportation company.

If I was to do it again, I'd compare taxi prices to private transfer prices and if remotely close, do a taxi do avoid what we went through.  If there's a big price differential, then I'd consider the private transfer.  But if there is a delay, it is possible that you have the hassle that we did.

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I did a cruise to/from "Rome" 5 years ago.  We had arranged the same private transfer to the port and then from the port to the FCO airport.

However, when the ship arrived, there was a delay in getting off.  We got off at our earliest opportunity, but the driver couldn't wait for us, so we ended up hanging out with our bags on a hot day for hours, with calls back and forth to the transportation company.

If I was to do it again, I'd compare taxi prices to private transfer prices and if remotely close, do a taxi do avoid what we went through.  If there's a big price differential, then I'd consider the private transfer.  But if there is a delay, it is possible that you have the hassle that we did.

Stockjock, we are on the "same page" today all around. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Did you stay in Rome or just go from port to plane? Just wanted to inquire where you stayed while in Rome.

21 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Did you stay in Rome or just go from port to plane? Just wanted to inquire where you stayed while in Rome.

Yes, we stayed 3-4 nights next to the Spanish Steps.  Taxi from FCO to the Hotel (fixed rate, as I recall) and private transfer from the hotel to the port and then from the port to FCO (with the aforementioned issues).

I strongly recommend that you spend some time in Rome.  It's a gorgeous city.  So many amazing things to see.  So much good food.  If your health and stamina permits, recommend doing a comprehensive walking tour.  History around every corner.  But...you will do a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes.  Colosseum tour was also worthwhile, but the highlight was the walking tour.  Sore feet and 100% worth it.

Edited by Stockjock

10 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Yes, we stayed 3-4 nights next to the Spanish Steps.  Taxi from FCO to the Hotel (fixed rate, as I recall) and private transfer from the hotel to the port and then from the port to FCO (with the aforementioned issues).

I strongly recommend that you spend some time in Rome.  It's a gorgeous city.  So many amazing things to see.  So much good food.  If your health and stamina permits, recommend doing a comprehensive walking tour.  History around every corner.  But...you will do a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes.  Colosseum tour was also worthwhile, but the highlight was the walking tour.  Sore feet and 100% worth it.

Yes, we are doing a TA Oct 2022 and wanted to go in 4 days pre-cruise. I was in Rome 15 yrs ago so I know much has changed regarding pricing.  I stayed near the Vatican but wanted somewhere closer to the center of town this time. More sights to see and more walkable. 

Edited by FLCruiser97
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Yes, we are doing a TA Oct 2022 and wanted to go in 4 days pre-cruise. I was in Rome 15 yrs ago so I know much has changed regarding pricing.  I stayed near the Vatican but wanted somewhere closer to the center of town this time. More sights to see and more walkable. 

The Spanish Steps area was very nice area to stay in.  There's also a Happy Hour at the Vatican that many aren't aware of.  Not too expensive and you can tour the Vatican at night, when it's less crowded.  Price of admission to the Happy Hour also includes some wine and snacks.  Let me know if you need help with this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The Spanish Steps area was very nice area to stay in.  There's also a Happy Hour at the Vatican that many aren't aware of.  Not too expensive and you can tour the Vatican at night, when it's less crowded.  Price of admission to the Happy Hour also includes some wine and snacks.  Let me know if you need help with this.

Thanks Stockjock. You have been very helpful. Happy hour at the Vatican sounds nice. We also were thinking about a walking food tour. 

8 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Thanks Stockjock. You have been very helpful. Happy hour at the Vatican sounds nice. We also were thinking about a walking food tour. 

Here's a direct link to the Vatican's Ticket Office.  It's probably cheaper than going through a 3rd party. You will see the Happy Hour tours referenced, but candidly, not sure if they're still doing them, or if there's a suspension due to covid.  When we went, I think they only did it 1 or 2 nights per week, so you'd have to check the schedule.

Have fun!
https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home

Edited by Stockjock

2 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Here's a direct link to the Vatican's Ticket Office.  It's probably cheaper than going through a 3rd party. You will see the Happy Hour tours referenced, but candidly, not sure if they're still doing them, or if there's a suspension due to covid.  When we went, I think they only did it 1 or 2 nights per week, so you'd have to check the schedule.

Have fun!
https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home

Thanks, I'll check it out. Got loads of time till next Oct but it doesn't hurt to start checking now. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 7:30 AM, jtslattery said:

I find this website very good for providing a wide range of options: https://www.rome2rio.com/

Time in Rome is a must.  We stayed at the albergo del senato on our last trip. It is right on the Pantheon square so the location is great.  The first night we looked into the small restaurants that surround the square and said " we will try each one"  We never got past the first one, it was that good.  When we got to our room and looked out the window we over looked the square and the Pantheon.  We walked every where, no cabs, no buses, no trains for 3 days.  We used romecabs.com  to get from the airport to the hotel to the ship.  Again, our go to transport company in Italy.  Join the roll call for your cruise, it is a great place to find people to share rides out to the port and from the port to the airport.

6 minutes ago, jtslattery said:

Thanks for the advice. Our flight is at 11:30. We are planning three days in Rome before our cruise. Sounds like the walk off might be the best option for us how does it work.

With walk off, you don't leave your bags outside of the door.  You are responsible for carrying all of them off the ship and you should literally be one of the first off the ship.

I don't travel light, nor does my GF, so this isn't usually a great option for me.  Typically, I see what disembarkation time they've assigned me.  If it's later than I feel comfortable with, I visit the desk the night before and tell them I have an early flight.  They'll usually swap out the band for something with an earlier disembarkation.

Best bet is a pvt limo service..they meet you at the ship..

11:30 is early..things can go wrong at the pier and with traffic

Our  DELTA flight time changed to  an earlier time at the last minute.

We re-arranged at no cost to change flight to a day later and   pre booked to stay overnight  in  Fuminico..near airport at a Marriot ( best I can recall).  Had local pizza for lunch,  a nice walk and several restaurants,   near the local police station, to choose from for dinner.  It was interesting  and authentic, We  took a cab to airport in the morning....

If we go again,,would stay over... extra cost but less stress

Here's one of the things that can go wrong.

I booked a flight out of Barcelona and I thought I had plenty of time.  The taxi ride to the airport was a piece of cake.

But then...

Lines were unbelievably long and unbelievably slow at the airport, especially Spanish Customs lines.  The airport was packed.  I still thought we were ok, but when we reached the ticket counter, I got a ticket with the dreaded SSSS on it, which stands for "Secondary Security Screening Selection".  This is not my ticket, but is used to illustrate what I received.

If one sees SSSS, it means they're going to search you and your bags like crazy.  I think it's often random.  Could also be because I often book one-way flights.  Who knows?

Just before boarding, the Spanish police tracked me down at the gate and brought me into a room where they searched everything quite thoroughly.  They were very nice, so I'm not being critical, but I barely made a flight that I thought I had plenty of time to make.

If one must book an earlier flight, then so be it.  But better to give oneself some breathing room and allowance for the unexpected, if at all reasonably possible.

SSSS-Boarding-Pass-820x410.jpg

Edited by Stockjock