Another one bites the dust

Bummee but until our government commits to a definite date for cruising to restart, with enough notice (2-3 months) for the cruise lines to bring the ships up to full operational status, then the cancellations will just keep on happening. At least Princess and P&O Australia, and possibly Silversea, are trying to keep hopes up. The other cruise lines have just abandoned Australia all altogether. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Bummee but until our government commits to a definite date for cruising to restart, with enough notice (2-3 months) for the cruise lines to bring the ships up to full operational status, then the cancellations will just keep on happening. At least Princess and P&O Australia, and possibly Silversea, are trying to keep hopes up. The other cruise lines have just abandoned Australia all altogether. 

Hopefully they will be working on some kind of insurance for us as nobody with half a brain will cruise as it stands now.

Cheers Carole

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Why wouldn't they with no definite starting dates by the government. To much uncertainty now probably till after the election at the earliest.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, Elorac123 said:

Hopefully they will be working on some kind of insurance for us as nobody with half a brain will cruise as it stands now.

Cheers Carole

Did I read Qld is not reopening its borders before Xmas?  If so that is another family Xmas gone for moi.

Edited by NSWP

48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Did I read Qld is not reopening its borders before Xmas?  If so that is another family Xmas gone for moi.

I usually join family in Brizvegas for Christmas but I may not this year as I think the traffic heading north will be horrendous.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I usually join family in Brizvegas for Christmas but I may not this year as I think the traffic heading north will be horrendous.

Yep, every man and his dog will be heading north.  Very busy in Batemans Bay this weekend, I reckon half of Canberra is here, Yogis (ACT number plates start with Y) are everywhere.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes unless we reach the Covid target before that date the further north you go the lesser have been jabbed !

Cheers Carole

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

News.com.au is reporting the following. I cannot find another source. This will be terrible news for the Southerners that have made bookings when it was announced that the border would open on the 17th December. Good luck getting a refund.

"Queensland’s hard border will likely remain in place over the summer break as the state’s lagging vaccination rate threatens to put a dampener on the Christmas period.

Despite originally planning to reopen on December 17, Deputy Premier Steven Miles says the state needs to reach 90 per cent fully vaccinated – predicted to take place in January – before all border barricades are removed."

Edited by By The Bay

22 hours ago, By The Bay said:

News.com.au is reporting the following. I cannot find another source. This will be terrible news for the Southerners that have made bookings when it was announced that the border would open on the 17th December. Good luck getting a refund.

"Queensland’s hard border will likely remain in place over the summer break as the state’s lagging vaccination rate threatens to put a dampener on the Christmas period.

Despite originally planning to reopen on December 17, Deputy Premier Steven Miles says the state needs to reach 90 per cent fully vaccinated – predicted to take place in January – before all border barricades are removed."

That is what I read, how can one plan a trip to Qld with the above scenario? 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, By The Bay said:

And some people continue to wonder why the cruise lines aren't planning to return to Oz/New Zealand any time soon. Until there is some assurance of free travel within Australia no ships will deploy. The same is true for Canada, we have set to open our ports to cruising on Monday (Canadian time) of course there are no cruise ships operating here during the winter. What it does say to the cruise line is "we will be open for business". I don't think we have any closed Provincial/Territorial borders and we have a federal vaccine "passport" with QR code available as of today.

As always, be well everyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

And some people continue to wonder why the cruise lines aren't planning to return to Oz/New Zealand any time soon. Until there is some assurance of free travel within Australia no ships will deploy. The same is true for Canada, we have set to open our ports to cruising on Monday (Canadian time) of course there are no cruise ships operating here during the winter. What it does say to the cruise line is "we will be open for business". I don't think we have any closed Provincial/Territorial borders and we have a federal vaccine "passport" with QR code available as of today.

As always, be well everyone.

Spot on Lyle, so much fragility with our borders. It is obvious the cruise lines don't want to send their ships here with the possibility of further border closures and lockdowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, By The Bay said:

Unfortunately this looks like just another News Ltd stitch up. Quote from Miles referred specifically to international travel not domestic travel . 

The Qld plan to reopen is , 

• 80% of the eligible Queensland population is fully vaccinated
    17 December or earlier

Arriving from a hotspot

If you have been in a declared hotspot in the past 14 days you may travel to Queensland provided you:

• are fully vaccinated
    • have a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours prior to arrival into Queensland.

You may arrive by air or road.

There is no quarantine required if you meet these criteria.

If you do not meet these criteria, you will need to meet the relevant requirements for entry and will be required to undertake a period of quarantine in a government‑nominated facility.

Arriving from all other areas of Australia

Provided you have not been in a hotspot in the last 14 days:

• No restrictions on entry to Queensland.
    • No quarantine required.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1