For those who want to give the crew gifts here is a list from Chris

Iamcruzin

38 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I will be on Symphony next week and I am thinking of striking up a conversation about this subject with various staff members on that ship.  Im not going to ask them for a shopping list.  Im going to ask are you able to make purchases for necessary items?, do you like chocolate as a gift?, do you like used clothes left for you?,  just basically do you want physical items on top of tips and salary?

I asked last week and my cabin steward cant get off in ports except a little in Galveston. They cant go far even in Galveston. 

I've been bringing a bag of pringles and other chips. This time I stopped at Kroger and got a huge bag of chocolates. Heath bars, kit kats, reese's pieces... over 35 oz of good choices. I asked him if there was anything in there he liked. ... he said hes flying home in a week and saving most of it to share with his family. I was touched.

That my candy was worth flying home with. I thought he would just share with everyone.

I asked him if there was anything downstairs I could get him and he was like no. Sometimes they say yes if I'm getting off in cozumel where there is a 7 11.

I know they like money but they like almost anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I asked last week and my cabin steward cant get off in ports except a little in Galveston. They cant go far even in Galveston. 

I've been bringing a bag of pringles and other chips. This time I stopped at Kroger and got a huge bag of chocolates. Heath bars, kit kats, reese's pieces... over 35 oz of good choices. I asked him if there was anything in there he liked. ... he said hes flying home in a week and saving most of it to share with his family. I was touched.

That my candy was worth flying home with. I thought he would just share with everyone.

I asked him if there was anything downstairs I could get him and he was like no. Sometimes they say yes if I'm getting off in cozumel where there is a 7 11.

I know they like money but they like almost anything.

Ive had such nice room stewards since the startup.  I prefer if service was good (towels, made bed 2x/day, will give a cash tip at the end.  I truthfully prefer not to bring gifts for the crew.  Reason is years ago as a private duty nurse for 2 years, we were not allowed to accept gifts.  And yes, I realize it is not the same thing.  But its still my mindset.  I will ask them now if there is something they would like in Cozumel.  But that's my limit.  If they say no, then i will respect that.  

Just now, jean87510 said:

Ive had such nice room stewards since the startup.  I prefer if service was good (towels, made bed 2x/day, will give a cash tip at the end.  I truthfully prefer not to bring gifts for the crew.  Reason is years ago as a private duty nurse for 2 years, we were not allowed to accept gifts.  And yes, I realize it is not the same thing.  But its still my mindset.  I will ask them now if there is something they would like in Cozumel.  But that's my limit.  If they say no, then i will respect that.  

So I got towel animals twice one week. .. idk if any stewards still do animals every day? Maybe if you have kids? What then. 

And I know I'm often criticized for giving gifts. I rarely mention it for that reason. I just mentioned it this time because I was touched. Each to his own. 

• Like 2

We asked several crew members while on Enchantment recently.  They all said they can get what they want onboard.  They are not yet able to go ashore in any port, though it appears they will be able to do so, in limited numbers, in the foreseeable future.  When we pressed the issue, knowing we will be aboard again before long, they still said "nothing".  So we are sticking with extra cash.

BTW, in the evening, WJ was closed to passengers, but used for crew, as well as the crew dining room, presumably to aid in distancing.  We had a full crew complement even with well under 50% passengers.  It was wonderful.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So I got towel animals twice one week. .. idk if any stewards still do animals every day? Maybe if you have kids? What then. 

And I know I'm often criticized for giving gifts. I rarely mention it for that reason. I just mentioned it this time because I was touched. Each to his own. 

I dont mean to criticize you.  I try not to comment on the tipping threads or this one because we all do things differently.  I had never thought of it before.  So I thought, hey maybe it may be not a bad idea if Im getting something to see if my room steward needs something.  

10 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I dont mean to criticize you.  I try not to comment on the tipping threads or this one because we all do things differently.  I had never thought of it before.  So I thought, hey maybe it may be not a bad idea if Im getting something to see if my room steward needs something.  

You mentioned talking to your steward next week so I thought I'd say what mine said last week or I wouldnt have mentioned it. Usually they say no but mine mentioned tooth brushes .. so he gets asked a lot. Lol someone said theirs asked for socks. Ha. They are on their feet a lot.

I think it's up to each person what they want to do. When they can get off in ports more freely it will be different. 

I know they can order what they want. And they hate to ask..so i give treats.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You keeping doing you😍 and ignore any criticism.  

My most recent room steward asked for Nyqui to help him sleep.    I had no idea how hard it was to get nyquil.  I went to various stores and pharmacies at st maarten and antigua.   Finally found in Barbados for $19.50 a bottle. Crazy price!    He was so thrilled that I found it as he couldnt get it online.  I gave him a bag of reese peanut butter cups and you would have thought I gave him a brick of gold.  He was so happy.  

My next sailing in March and will be in cabin in same area so I am packing him more nyquil that I get at home for $6 a bottle!!

And for those that criticize I also gave him cash tip!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My most recent room steward asked for Nyqui to help him sleep.  Finally found in Barbados for $19.50 a bottle.

I'd offer generic benadryl. It's like $4/200 pills at Sam's. Knocks me out for 7 hours straight, and is non-addictive and way cheaper. You can also find generic nyquil for way less. 

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd offer generic benadryl. It's like $4/200 pills at Sam's. Knocks me out for 7 hours straight, and is non-addictive and way cheaper. You can also find generic nyquil for way less. 

Using Nyquil to fall asleep other than occasionally is a bad idea, plenty of doctors have written about it.  Along with the antihistamine and alcohol content, there are other chemicals in there that shouldn't be taken without thought, including something as basic as acetaminophen.  

Something simpler, like melatonin, would be healthier.

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

Using Nyquil to fall asleep other than occasionally is a bad idea, plenty of doctors have written about it.  Along with the antihistamine and alcohol content, there are other chemicals in there that shouldn't be taken without thought, including something as basic as acetaminophen.  

Lol see let no good deed go unpunished. Whatever someone says they did, someone will tell them what they should have done. 

As someone with insomnia ... I'm self medicated. Those who dont have insomnia never get it imo. Though as this thread shows ... let no good deed go unpunished and not criticized. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

melatonin does not work for me, nor is it much healthier. Generic Benadryl does the trick and does not contain acetaminophen.

I do not use nyquil at all. But if it works for that particular cabin attendant - let Firefly get it for him/her.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol see let no good deed go unpunished. Whatever someone says they did, someone will tell them what they should have done. 

As someone with insomnia ... I'm self medicated. Those who dont have insomnia never get it imo. Though as this thread shows ... let no good deed go unpunished and not criticized. 

Read up on what's in Nyquil.  "Good deed", LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Any drug can be abused. This isnt the place. Who knows how often it's used by that person. 

I think it would be nice if someone said nice of you to go get something for the crew to make them feel special. Of course being nice isnt the cruise critic way. Just on the off threads like Bella and what did you do today are people nice to each other. 

Well I'd ignored this thread until today ... back to ignoring it. People just cant stay on topic and be nice. The topic is what crew members might like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Have you tried CBD?  It is magic for my particular issue…. Without it, I can’t sleep past 3:30/4:30am no matter what time I go to bed.  With it, I’ve been getting up 5:30-6:45am 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am Not about to suggest different meds to anyone other than a direct family. 

I personally cannot take benadryl so even if I saw it I wouldn't just go buy it and say here take this instead.     Yes, I know about generics but it was impossible to find any type of nyquil so as soon as I saw a bottle in Barbados I bought it.    

4 hours ago, billslowsky said:

A crew member asked for it and I finally found it.   It is Not my place to discuss what is in Nyquil or tell them to do something different.      The point of my post is he was So Thankful for me finding it for him.     And let's just leave it at that!

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

A crew member asked for it and I finally found it.   It is Not my place to discuss what is in Nyquil or tell them to do something different.      The point of my post is he was So Thankful for me finding it for him.     And let's just leave it at that!

Yes, by all means, facilitate the misuse of an OTC drug and feel good about it!

Good for you!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Giving a crew member an OTC medication that contains 10% alcohol could very well cost him/her their job.  Remember, the crew are subject to random drug and alcohol testing, and the allowable limit is 0.05% (compared to the 0.08% for driving in the US), and many officers and crew (deck and engine) have a zero tolerance (0.00% for the entire time they are assigned to the ship), and having something like nyquil without a "prescription" by the medical officer, and being tested right after taking this, could result in a positive test, and automatic dismissal.  It is well known that mouthwash or nyquil can cause false positive test results.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Giving a crew member an OTC medication that contains 10% alcohol could very well cost him/her their job.  Remember, the crew are subject to random drug and alcohol testing, and the allowable limit is 0.05% (compared to the 0.08% for driving in the US), and many officers and crew (deck and engine) have a zero tolerance (0.00% for the entire time they are assigned to the ship), and having something like nyquil without a "prescription" by the medical officer, and being tested right after taking this, could result in a positive test, and automatic dismissal.  It is well known that mouthwash or nyquil can cause false positive test results.

I did ask him if it would be a problem with his boss and he said No.

He is a grown man probably in his 30's and he knows the crew rules.      If he took a capful of nyquil at bedtime is that enough to test at 0.05%?    I have no idea but everyone has to be responsible for themselves and if he was able to get off the ship he could buy himself.    

Isn't there a crew bar on all ships?     what happens if the cabin steward has finished his shift grabs a beer and then gets tested before going to bed?    Do they do that?

BTW,  I always appreciate your facts, thoughts and opinions on CC.

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Isn't there a crew bar on all ships?     what happens if the cabin steward has finished his shift grabs a beer and then gets tested before going to bed?    Do they do that?

Yes, they have a crew bar, and yes, they can get tested in the evening after going to the bar.  Yes, he could buy it himself, and that would be his own decision, but do you want to be a possible enabler?

To give you an idea, the way we train officers to administer breathalyzers, is to merely swill mouthwash around in your mouth and then blow into the machine.  Positive test every time.

Also, two of the ingredients in nyquil, dextromethorphan and doxylamine can cause a false positive in urine drug tests as PCP, which are randomly tested for as well, and will result in termination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, they have a crew bar, and yes, they can get tested in the evening after going to the bar.  Yes, he could buy it himself, and that would be his own decision, but do you want to be a possible enabler?

To give you an idea, the way we train officers to administer breathalyzers, is to merely swill mouthwash around in your mouth and then blow into the machine.  Positive test every time.

Also, two of the ingredients in nyquil, dextromethorphan and doxylamine can cause a false positive in urine drug tests as PCP, which are randomly tested for as well, and will result in termination.

Thank you for your information.   I will Not give any crew member anything like this or any other of the suggestions in the future.      And I will stop giving them my free bottles of wine or champagne too!    Stay safe🤩