Ontario Expanding Booster Eligibility to More Ontarians

Fouremco

Ontario announced today that those 70 and over can start booking their booster shots starting this Saturday. Eligible groups include:

• Individuals aged 70 and over (born in 1951 or earlier);
  • Health care workers and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (including long-term care home and retirement home staff and designated caregivers);
  • Individuals who received a complete series of a viral vector vaccine (two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or one dose of the Janssen vaccine); and
  • First Nation, Inuit and Métis adults and their non-Indigenous household members.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1001100/ontario-expanding-booster-eligibility-to-more-ontarians

• Thanks 2

This was posted on the Ontario Ministry of Health site, no booster for AZ/mRNA yet, but I’m sure we will get the booster sometime !

“While there is limited evidence on duration of protection following a mixed viral vector and mRNA COVID-19 vaccination schedule, to date data from two studies indicate that vaccine effectiveness for those who received a mixed schedule of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD followed by an mRNA vaccine is similar compared to those who received a complete series of mRNA vaccines (NACI, 2021). At this time individuals who received a mixed series of viral vector and mRNA vaccines are not eligible for a booster dose.”

Edited by schiff1997

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

Good news. But I wonder why the province didn't outline the schedule for everyone else.

I believe that they will open up to those under 70 starting in January. As the booster shots won't be given until 6 months after people's second shot, most younger Canadians won't be eligible for some time anyway. DW and I are in our mid-70s and the earliest second shot available for us was mid-June. That means that the earliest date we can book for our booster will be close to Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

This was posted on the Ontario Ministry of Health site, no booster for AZ/mRNA yet, but I’m sure we will get the booster sometime !

“While there is limited evidence on duration of protection following a mixed viral vector and mRNA COVID-19 vaccination schedule, to date data from two studies indicate that vaccine effectiveness for those who received a mixed schedule of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD followed by an mRNA vaccine is similar compared to those who received a complete series of mRNA vaccines (NACI, 2021). At this time individuals who received a mixed series of viral vector and mRNA vaccines are not eligible for a booster dose.”

It would help if you posted a link and explained the context. My reading of today's announcement was that anyone in the defined groups, regardless of vaccines used was eligible for an mRNA booster.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

It would help if you posted a link and explained the context. My reading of today's announcement was that anyone in the defined groups, regardless of vaccines used was eligible for an mRNA booster.

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

sorry I’m not very tech savvy !  Hope this helps pg 14

13 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Thanks.

While mixed AZ / mRNA may not be eligible for a booster my reading is that they should receive a third dose. Booster doses are not necessarily the same as third vaccination doses according to the document. (I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night so don't take my word on this. 😉)

• Like 1

On the news they said now for over 70 and January for everyone else.

One thing to point out as I know the question will come up.

Right now the CDC is not considering booster shots as changing your vaccination status.

Therefore you don't have to worry about when you get a booster and if that will affect you cruising.

My next cruise is with Carnival so have been only following that cruiseline but many people are asking that question as Americans have been allowed booster for a while. I assume other cruiselines have similar language to remind cruisers that booster shots aren't required and don't affect your vaccination status.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Ontario announced today that those 70 and over can start booking their booster shots starting this Saturday. Eligible groups include:

• Individuals aged 70 and over (born in 1951 or earlier);
  • Health care workers and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (including long-term care home and retirement home staff and designated caregivers);
  • Individuals who received a complete series of a viral vector vaccine (two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or one dose of the Janssen vaccine); and
  • First Nation, Inuit and Métis adults and their non-Indigenous household members.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1001100/ontario-expanding-booster-eligibility-to-more-ontarians

Fouremco, thank you posting this information!  The Ontario Covid-19 Booster Shot Booking opens on Saturday, November 6th. at 0800!

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I believe that they will open up to those under 70 starting in January. As the booster shots won't be given until 6 months after people's second shot, most younger Canadians won't be eligible for some time anyway. DW and I are in our mid-70s and the earliest second shot available for us was mid-June. That means that the earliest date we can book for our booster will be close to Christmas. 

I received my second shot of the Pfizer Vaccine on June 16th., so will be eligible for the booster shot mid December!  What a great Christmas present!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I received my second shot of the Pfizer Vaccine on June 16th., so will be eligible for the booster shot mid December!  What a great Christmas present!

My wife and I will both be eligible for ours in December as well so yes - what a great Christmas present!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thon said:

My wife and I will both be eligible for ours in December as well so yes - what a great Christmas present!

We're also due for ours in December...after having a Pfizer shot first in March,  then Moderna in June.

I'm a bit hesitant about this booster since after getting my Moderna shot in June, I was really unwell for a whole day and don't really want to go through that again. (My husband kept checking on me to see if I was breathing! lol 🤣)  With the Pfizer shot, the only side effect was a tenderness at the injection site, which is to be expected.   Anybody else have two different vaccines with such different side effects?  I'm thinking of going back to Pfizer if I do get the booster.

28 minutes ago, hancogran said:

We're also due for ours in December...after having a Pfizer shot first in March,  then Moderna in June.

I'm a bit hesitant about this booster since after getting my Moderna shot in June, I was really unwell for a whole day and don't really want to go through that again. (My husband kept checking on me to see if I was breathing! lol 🤣)  With the Pfizer shot, the only side effect was a tenderness at the injection site, which is to be expected.   Anybody else have two different vaccines with such different side effects?  I'm thinking of going back to Pfizer if I do get the booster.

I had AZ followed by Moderna, both shots knocked me out the next day with exhaustion and aches.  I will wait for a while to get a booster only because numbers are low in Ontario still and we live in a smaller community.   We don't sail until April anyway so I will make sure to get the booster before we go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hancogran said:

I had the AZ followed by Pfizer. After the AZ shot I was very fatigued the next day…sleep/lie down for 3 hours, up for 3 hours. After the Pfizer shot, no tiredness but a sore arm and a bit of Covid arm.  With both shots I felt well, no aches, pains or other ill symptoms.  I kept hydrated (being summer) and had some hunger.  I’ll get the booster when I’m eligible next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Had Pfizer then Moderna. Sore arm lasted a couple of days longer with Moderna. Perhaps because Moderna uses a larger dose. 

Interesting, my larger dose was the first one…with somewhat more of a reaction. Neither reaction was more than a 2 out of 10.  No complaints.

22 minutes ago, thon said:

We’ll, it’s after 8 on Saturday, I’m over 70 and the Ont. site will not let me register.  Why am I not surprised!

My son's in IT. He's never awake by 8am, especially on the weekend. 

When the IT department wakes up this morning (or this afternoon) the site will get updated.  🙏 🤞

Edited by DirtyDawg

30 minutes ago, thon said:

We’ll, it’s after 8 on Saturday, I’m over 70 and the Ont. site will not let me register.  Why am I not surprised!

I just tried and was able to get in - but appointments only look like available nov 7-21.  My second dose was in June - thought I could already make an appointment for December but I guess not?  Might try and ask at local pharmacy about booster appointments!