Miscellaneous breakfast questions

Happycrafter123

Curious if there is real Maple Syrup with breakfast or if what is provided is corn syrup or some other type of breakfast syrup?   We normally bring maple syrup from home when going to certain AI's but not sure what is available on NCL. 

Also, for the waffles, the "whipping cream" is it real 100% fresh dairy whipped cream or is it that processed chemical stuff?

Is there peanut butter and nutella available to go on toast?

• Like 1

We call the whipped cream “crack cream” because it is so good. I’m not a purist though. Your mileage may vary. 

I will warn you that a seagull once stole a bite of my scrambled eggs on the Epic. Then spit them out. When the vultures of the sea won’t eat it…

• Haha 5

Ok, I had not expected these types of responses.  Clearly not a friendly crowds.  It is easy enough to pack small travel containers of different condiments such as peanut butter, maple syrup etc just didn’t know and wanted to find out before I loaded my suitcase up.  I would delete my post to stop the circus of criticism but don’t see a button for that.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Ok, I had not expected these types of responses.  Clearly not a friendly crowds.  It is easy enough to pack small travel containers of different condiments such as peanut butter, maple syrup etc just didn’t know and wanted to find out before I loaded my suitcase up.  I would delete my post to stop the circus of criticism but don’t see a button for that.   

Regardless of what you decide to bring, be sure it is in the original unopened factory sealed packaging. You can't bring beverages on board. I believe you can bring packaged non-perishable foods and condiments if they are factory sealed. Ultimately however it's at NCL's discretion.

I'm guessing maple syrup and anything liquid is tricky because ultimately NCL is trying to prevent people from sneaking in alcohol which is why they stopped allowing people to bring soda and beverages.

I don't recall any of the items you're asking for but I wasn't looking for them. Maple syrup is doubtful because most folks from the US consume the artificially flavored corn syrupy stuff. Peanut butter you can ask the kitchen/buffet staff for. Nutella ... Might be at the crepe station? Maybe a crepe fanatic might know.

• Thanks 1

I’ve never been on an NCL cruise that didn’t have peanut butter out for breakfast.  It’s in little sealed cups (like yogurt cups but much smaller).  It’s usually near the bread/butter.  I almost always have an English muffin with peanut butter on it.  Sometimes it’s a name brand, like Jiff, and sometimes it’s not.  

15 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

Nutella ... Might be at the crepe station? Maybe a crepe fanatic might know.

On the Breakaway last week, they did have Nutella at the crepe station during dinner in the buffet.  I have no idea whether it was available at breakfast.

At breakfast, at the station serving pancakes, waffles, and French toast, there was a syrup container that said "Maple," but whether it was the real thing, who knows.  (I rather doubt it, given the cost.)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Ok, I had not expected these types of responses.  Clearly not a friendly crowds. 

Actually we are.

However, as you can see from the responses that people do not cruise NCL because of the food  quality.

Just be prepared to be disappointed.

LOL - at the sea gull spiting out the stolen food  - I have been known to reflexively do the same with some of the NCL food. 

• Like 2

Peanut butter is readily available, maple syrup is not. In fact, I would rank the syrup as being lower quality than even Mrs. Butterworths or similar grocery store brands. Whipped cream is not Cool Whip, but it's not top quality, either. 

I don't recall seeing Nutella, but I haven't looked for it. 

Maybe, as a suggestion: if OP is staying in Haven - email ahead and make a request to the pre-cruise concierge for "real" maple syrup ...  Otherwise, 25+ years of cruising and let's be practical & realistic, set your expectations accordingly.

It's like going to IHOP, Denny's, Friendly or Cracker Barrel for breakfast - just go with the flow and what they serve or available (to put some of the replies in perspective: given the rising & high costs of everything these days and shortage)  ... personally, I skip over the maple (flavored) syrup - a light touch of butter works for us.  

The seagull at GSC, private island didn't mind, dive & air raided DW's half eaten slice of pizza on the beach and happily got away with it.  

Alas, generally speaking - the quality of the food served onboard, as a whole and subjectively speaking, in my own opinion, isn't what it used to be 10 or 15 year ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

On the Breakaway last week, they did have Nutella at the crepe station during dinner in the buffet.  I have no idea whether it was available at breakfast.

This is why I wasn't looking. Mmmmmm Nutella crepes or Nutella anything. ❤️ Glad I escaped Breakaway without engorging myself on them.

3 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Really you didn't?  Come on!  When you go Type A to the tenth power, expect the Type Bs to react by pulling you back down to earth.  It's not personal, it's not criticism, it a basic reaction.  Think about what you're saying here........  you're packing syrup to go on vacation.  🤔

I have never experienced real maple syrup on a ship, at a restaurant, auntie's house, or a catered gathering - it's just not one of those things you get unless you travel north and buy some.  Whatever type they had was good on my raisin'ed up french toast.  There's some type of whipped cream, I don't remember what, I ate that happily too.  I did see Nutella at the buffet.

The chocolate syrup isn't Hersheys, but it's good, and truly, if I don't have to do the grocery shopping or cooking, I'm happy!  🙂 

NCL has great food and tons of choices from many different nationalities.  It's a great time to "let your hair down" and try new things - you might find a new favorite.  You'll see things on the buffet you can't identify, try them, that's half the fun.  There's a bar inside the buffet, that previously mentioned bloody mary is available with no judgement.

This forum is one of the friendliest crowds you'll find online.  It's also home to the most real advice you're going to get, there's little embroidery here - I super appreciate that.  😉 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dear OP,

As a New Yawker, I find nothing wrong with your questions or the desire to have YOUR favorite food/condiment on YOUR vacation. People bring their favorite clothes, jewelry, accessories, etc. on their vacation. Why shouldn't you want to bring you favorite food? I brought my favorite whole bean coffee, hand grinder, and filter and assortment of snacks just like I brought my favorite cozy sleep shirt and shorts, and a comfy pair of walking shoes.

As you may well know, but folks in the USA might not, maple syrup is standard fare in most restaurants that serve breakfast in Quebec and I'm guessing most breakfast restaurants in your province. Many Quebecois would think it insulting for a restaurant to serve artificially flavored corn syrup or use on their food because maple syrup is plentiful, affordable, a superior product, and a matter of regional pride. It's a common attitude and not some elitist one. In the USA, however, may people are of the perception that maple syrup a luxury item because it's marketed and sold that way to the benefit and profits of US producers.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Curious if there is real Maple Syrup with breakfast or if what is provided is corn syrup or some other type of breakfast syrup?   We normally bring maple syrup from home when going to certain AI's but not sure what is available on NCL. 

Also, for the waffles, the "whipping cream" is it real 100% fresh dairy whipped cream or is it that processed chemical stuff?

Is there peanut butter and nutella available to go on toast?

Sorry for the cranky bits... some of us haven't been out of the house much and forgot how to speak with kindness.

If real maple syrup is important- bring it as maple is a hard to stock item especially for ships not in the north Atlantic area.

Whipping cream is actually made by hand using the liquid product- but it is not going to mean it is 100% dairy... likely to be some oil base in it.

The peanut butter is going to he a high sugar type and it will be creamy not chunky.

I have seen nutella in several places, so just ask for it.. or hazelnut spread is the same thing if it isnt name brand.

I'm bringing flavored coffee creamer btw.. I'm not flying, so I have more room for things and am bringing pepperoni straws for Bloody Mary's as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ArtInMotionPersians said:

you're packing syrup to go on vacation.  🤔

😆

truly, if I don't have to do the grocery shopping or cooking, I'm happy!  🙂 

Preach it Brother/Sister!! 😎

There's a bar inside the buffet, that previously mentioned bloody mary is available with no judgement.

Bring it on home!!  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was wondering the same, espacially the nutella-question 🤪.

We are from Germany and my boys love their nutella on toast,  croissants and pancakes. Maybe we bring our own from home 😆

I think it is interesting, that you do not get real maple-syrup on an us-based cruiseship 🤔. When we did cruises with AIDA und Mein Schiff out of Germany, they had real maple syrup at the buffet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gabriele73 said:

I was wondering the same, espacially the nutella-question 🤪.

We are from Germany and my boys love their nutella on toast,  croissants and pancakes. Maybe we bring our own from home 😆

I think it is interesting, that you do not get real maple-syrup on an us-based cruiseship 🤔. When we did cruises with AIDA und Mein Schiff out of Germany, they had real maple syrup at the buffet.

I’ve never seen real maple syrup in a land based restaurant, and I live in the northeast. Nutella is considered a liquid and must be packed in checked luggage (my mom learned this the hard way).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@mjkacmom

In know, we are always taking Nutella in the checked baggage with us. 

And I never had tought that it is unusual to have real maple syrup in a restaurant or on a cruiseship. But oh well….no problem for me.

(I saw in a video that they had bananaslices with warm caramelsauce at the breakfast buffet. If I can get that, I do not need syrup 😍.) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gabriele73 said:

@mjkacmom

In know, we are always taking Nutella in the checked baggage with us. 

And I never had tought that it is unusual to have real maple syrup in a restaurant or on a cruiseship. But oh well….no problem for me.

(I saw in a video that they had bananaslices with warm caramelsauce at the breakfast buffet. If I can get that, I do not need syrup 😍.) 

Yes, and it is wonderful on pancakes and waffles!

• Like 1

I sailed on Norwegian (Gem) for the first time only a month ago. I didn't see maple syrup or peanut butter at the buffet.

The quality of the buffet food was good. All of my meals in the MDR were great, equally as good as Celebrity.

Edited by craig01020
  • Like 3