What is the very recent Apple iPad inventory like on board Celebrity Summit?

Stem to Stern

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

May want to ask this in their roll call

Thank you ever so much for the suggestion, but I have already done so.  Unfortunately, many of the roll calls are nearly dormant compared to the regular Celebrity boards, but I will monitor my question there as well.  Any information from someone on board that might be willing to stop by the iLounge and ask would be most appreciated.  Thanks again.

Just a guess, but I think most of Celebrity’s Apple inventory is made up of products they had before the COVID shutdown.  Apparently, it was a lot of inventory.  I know I checked on an Apple Watch, which they only had ver 4 in stock.  I think the iPad inventory was made up of products that were one or two generations behind.  They didn’t have ANY laptops in stock.

The Apple rep on board said they would not get new stock until they sell out of what they already had.  

• Like 1

There has been a couple thread on this in the past couple days.  

In September - October all inventory was pre-covid models and no discounts.    Many have reported yesterday that they discounted some of their old inventory -  calling it a black Friday sale.    The employee when I was on-board said they were a concession and not Apple and couldn't swap out inventory for newer models. They also couldn't discount without Apple approval.

Inventory was very low and phones, ear buds, iWatches and iPads were about 2 generations old.

I wonder if their partnership is ending yet it seems like a win-win for both companies as pax can buy things tax free which doesn't affect either company.  Did the iLounge EVER have current products?  I also wonder for those with huge OBCs, is a loophole to say buy several old ipads, go to a land based apple store to swap them out for a credit and buy the apple product you actually want?

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

9.4 7th gen, 10.4, and 11.  No minis.  I butted in to ask because people buying an iPad for the first time are lined up.  Veeeery slow process.

Ruth,  Thank you so veeeery much for making the effort.  We definitely need to chat when I get on board.  You and I share very common ground from previous sailings.  We are not interested in having the newest version iPad.  One of our current iPad minis is a 2 which is so old a lot of the updates will not update on it.  I will look for those other threads.  I am good with a discount on old product, Black Friday or whatever it shall be named.🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I wonder if their partnership is ending yet it seems like a win-win for both companies as pax can buy things tax free which doesn't affect either company.  Did the iLounge EVER have current products?  I also wonder for those with huge OBCs, is a loophole to say buy several old ipads, go to a land based apple store to swap them out for a credit and buy the apple product you actually want?

You wouldn’t be able to exchange on land without a receipt, but you could definitely sell them on eBay for quick cash. 

2 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

You wouldn’t be able to exchange on land without a receipt, but you could definitely sell them on eBay for quick cash. 

Can you with a receipt?  On the ship you’re paying full retail for outdated/low demand products and on eBay, you’ll be selling at a loss due to low demand, paying seller fees, taxes and shipping

We were on the Summit about a week ago.   The answer is Zero.

As most we had SBC a to burn.  Looking in the store I seen the Apple Pencil.  I asked the rep about it and said it seems as if it maybe worth getting.  He said it may be but they were out of them also

We are currently on the Constellation.  They have a very basic Ipad that is at least 3 generations old. There isn’t much in the inventory for anything except for a few non Apple accessory products  that are also outdated 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

46 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Can you with a receipt?  On the ship you’re paying full retail for outdated/low demand products and on eBay, you’ll be selling at a loss due to low demand, paying seller fees, taxes and shipping

Your receipt would be from Celebrity, not Apple. So no, you can’t return it on land. 

On 11/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, graphicguy said:

Just a guess, but I think most of Celebrity’s Apple inventory is made up of products they had before the COVID shutdown.  Apparently, it was a lot of inventory.  I know I checked on an Apple Watch, which they only had ver 4 in stock.  I think the iPad inventory was made up of products that were one or two generations behind.  They didn’t have ANY laptops in stock.

The Apple rep on board said they would not get new stock until they sell out of what they already had.  

They are not Apple reps. They are authorized Apple resellers. Similar to buying Apple products at Best Buy.

I was on the Summit earlier this month with a lot of OBC.  I only use my iPad for emails, reading books and mags and other minor things.  My iPad was 6 years old and the battery only lasted 2 hours.   So, while the iPads on the Summit were 7th generation, (I have no idea how many generations back from latest model) I bought one and it suits my needs totally.   I didn't need the latest and greatest based on how I use it.

I was told to take the receipt to an Apple store if I have problems with it before the warranty is up.  Who knows if that would work.

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Almost 100% sure you cannot do this. But feel free to try. 

Apple does trade ins but they don't give much. I traded in a iPad mini 4 and got a $150 gift card.. I just traded in the ipad mini 5 for an iPad mini 6 and got a $215 gift card.

Edited by Charles4515

9 minutes ago, Panzano said:

I was on the Summit earlier this month with a lot of OBC.  I only use my iPad for emails, reading books and mags and other minor things.  My iPad was 6 years old and the battery only lasted 2 hours.   So, while the iPads on the Summit were 7th generation, (I have no idea how many generations back from latest model) I bought one and it suits my needs totally.   I didn't need the latest and greatest based on how I use it.

I was told to take the receipt to an Apple store if I have problems with it before the warranty is up.  Who knows if that would work.

The will honor the warranty because the Celebrity store is an authorized reseller. Keep the reciept. They won't honor the warrenty if bought from a non authorized reseller, like for example if you buy one at a pawn shop. 

Edited by Charles4515

I purchased I Pad pro”s onboard,  took them to the Apple Store, and purchased the Apple protection and also trade in my old I Pad’s I purchased onboard several years ago,  got apple credit to purchase my magic keyboards at the Apple Store,     So what ever you purchase Apple takes care of you.

I know this because I have done it many many times.      I purchase many of my Apple products onboard.   NO TAXES ….save a little …..hope this helps give some real information for those who may want to purchase onboard ……..

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Panzano said:

So, while the iPads on the Summit were 7th generation, (I have no idea how many generations back from latest model) I bought one and it suits my needs totally.

Thank you so very much for the on-topic information.  Much appreciated.

23 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Almost 100% sure you cannot do this. But feel free to try. 

I just traded an older iPad mini for a 9th generation iPad. No receipt was required. Received a credit to my visa after they inspected and approved it. 

Harry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harrywpb said:

I just traded an older iPad mini for a 9th generation iPad. No receipt was required. Received a credit to my visa after they inspected and approved it. 

Harry

Ok that is what is referred to as the Apple Trade In Program. That is nothing like returning a brand new unopened item. 

The Apple Trade In program does not offer a very good value and you’re usually better off selling it on eBay. Even with seller fees and shipping you’ll still typically get more than what Apple will offer you.