Gem 11/21/21 Thanksgiving Cruise to (just about) Nowhere

MsTabbyKats

Just off the Gem...out of NYC

Boarding was simple.  Drop bags off at Pier 90 and proceed to Pier 88 for testing.  No waiting for the test and results were on a screen about 20 minutes later.  Go back to Pier 90...and check-in.  Again...no waiting.

The ship was at reduced capacity.  We never had trouble finding seats...buffet, theatre etc.  And the staff was more than helpful. 

The buffet was wonderful.  There were  unlimited choices and the food was excellent.  The Thanksgiving spread was amazing...expecially the cake/pie display.  We are platinum so we also ate at Cagney's and Moderno.  Next trip we're skipping those and sticking to the buffet.

There were 3 "production shows", one singer, a magician and a comedian.  I'm not really into comedy or magic....they were ok...but the other shows were great.  We sat thru each one twice.

We had a balcony cabin on Deck 10....mid-ship.  It was quiet and  convenient.

I'll be back in a little while to explain why it was "just about" a trip to nowhere.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Welcome back and looking forward to reading more.

I agree.  I'm thinking of doing a cruise on Gem from NYC in January or February...subject to new Covid variant developments...and also subject to solo fares coming down.  Right now it's just too expensive.

OK....so this is why it went nowhere (unless you LOVE Port Canaveral)

We got on the ship and I looked at the "excursion list".  What? No Charleston??  Now, it's not that Charleston is on my bucket list, but I've never been there and I was looking forward to the city tour and new (jewelry) stores to explore.  No explanation given was ever given.

Instead of Charleston, we now had an overnight in Port Canaveral.  Been there, done that too many times.  The day we arrived (the day we should have been in Charleston) it was cold and windy...not nice walking around weather...or sailing down the Banana River weather either.  On Day 2...our scheduled day, we had an excursion planned (a repeat for us) but they changed the time to "too early".  And it was cold anyway.

The next day was Great Stirrup Cay day.  It doesn't take a psychic to guess what happened.

The result....we never stepped foot on land.  

I know due to Covid these are uncertain times.  I'm also aware that NCL is not responsible for the weather.  But...we are grown-ups.  We deserved to know why we skipped Charleston and had 2 days in Port Canaveral.  I can't think of a worse port to stay overnight that Port Canaveral.  There's nothing to do there.  The view from the ship is industrial.  In just about any other port you could look out and see the sea, or something picturesque.  Why not another island in the Bahamas...or Key West...or Fort Lauderdale....or even an additional sea day.  This is especially true because they knew it wouldn't be good tendaring water for Great Stirrup Cay!!!

I love cruising and I had a good time.  I booked this cruise 5 days in advance, threw some clothes into a carry-on and took a cab to the dock.  If I had been a first timer....or flew into NYC "from somewhere"....I would have been very disappointed.

I am very disappointed with NCL's lack of communication. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

We deserved to know why we skipped Charleston and had 2 days in Port Canaveral. 

I agree with you.   It's very odd that you weren't told.  Did you ask at Guest Services?  

Glad you were able to enjoy yourself anyway.  

i think it is due Charleston  is not ready for cruise ships or not allowing ships to dock due to Covid. if this is the case, file this under the many dozens of Norwegian selling itinerary that they can not do. Charleston  should of been cancel weeks ago with proper notification to everyone

• Like 1

They didn’t inform you of the itinerary change before you got on the ship?  I’m on that same cruise next month and I’ve got a feeling we’ll have the same nowhere itinerary.  I had heard that skipping Charleston was due to a COVID outbreak there but it was just hearsay, not an official notice from anywhere.

i was on the ship at checkin they  handed us a sheet with a new Itinerary and a note saying the first two pax in each cabin would get $50 OBC. I was told it was due to SC not allowing the ship into port due to covid restrictions.

Edited by shout19661966
  • Like 4

@shout19661966

May I ask what time you checked in?  We got there at 1pm...and didn't receive anything.  As I said...my first "notification" was when I checked the excursion list.  Maybe they ran out of the sheets...lol.  Anyway, everyone I spoke to was just as clueless as me.

As far as the $50 credit...I have several "$50" things on my statement.  I assumed they had something to do with the $50 platinum credit for shore excusions.  I'm glad they were "a gift"!

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@shout19661966

May I ask what time you checked in?  We got there at 1pm...and didn't receive anything.  As I said...my first "notification" was when I checked the excursion list.  Maybe they ran out of the sheets...lol.  Anyway, everyone I spoke to was just as clueless as me.

As far as the $50 credit...I have several "$50" things on my statement.  I assumed they had something to do with the $50 platinum credit for shore excusions.  I'm glad they were "a gift"!

930 am 

Interesting that RCL was supposed to stop at Port Canaveral on Tuesday the 23rd , the same day that NCL made the extra stop there.  But RCL skipped it "due to weather."  RCL then made an unscheduled stop on Friday there (at Port Canaveral) on the way back. 

Would anyone still have a copy of the notice(s) saying that Charleston and/or Great Stirrup Cay were being skipped?

(Friend was on board, and has insurance that covers missed ports of call...but never received written notices.)

If anyone can assist...thanks very much!

On 11/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Instead of Charleston, we now had an overnight in Port Canaveral.  Been there, done that too many times.  The day we arrived (the day we should have been in Charleston) it was cold and windy...not nice walking around weather...or sailing down the Banana River weather either.  On Day 2...our scheduled day, we had an excursion planned (a repeat for us) but they changed the time to "too early".  And it was cold anyway.

The next day was Great Stirrup Cay day.  It doesn't take a psychic to guess what happened.

my port Canaveral excursion on bana boat  got canceled on day1 due to high winds.

should have went to disney/epcot since we're staying overnight.

leave when the park closes and take uber back to ship.

next day, kennedy space center but apparently all the early time slots were filled.

when i got to kss, all the early  rsvp slots for the saturn V tour were full.

the 11:30am was the earliest but that wont work because it's a 2 1/2 tour.

and need to be ON the bus back to ship at 2pm. 😞

the bus left at 2pm sharp!

Checked in about 10:15, received notice there.  No notice on GSC, seemed to be a last minute decision.  Crew was ready to head to the island when they made the call. 

Shows were at pretty much 7 and 9 each night, maybe 7:15/9 some nights.

Gem 1121 Charleston Notice.jpg

12 hours ago, Jarmo said:

Checked in about 10:15, received notice there.  No notice on GSC, seemed to be a last minute decision.  Crew was ready to head to the island when they made the call. 

Shows were at pretty much 7 and 9 each night, maybe 7:15/9 some nights.

Gem 1121 Charleston Notice.jpg

GSC is generally a last minute decision....based on "the ocean".  But the ocean was pretty rocky on the way there, so I wasn't surprised.

12 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

my port Canaveral excursion on bana boat  got canceled on day1 due to high winds.

next day, kennedy space center but apparently all the early time slots were filled.

when i got to kss, all the early  rsvp slots for the saturn V tour were full.

the 11:30am was the earliest but that wont work because it's a 2 1/2 tour.

and need to be ON the bus back to ship at 2pm. 😞

the bus left at 2pm sharp!

This is what I don't understand....we were scheduled to sail at 6 (I think), so why rush back at 2pm?

Originally....the idea of this cruise was because we were scheduled to be at KSS for the "rare" full day so I was imagining a "10 am-5 pm" tour.  We went there a few years ago....loved it...but at that time decided that you need a lot more time.  

14 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

That would've been a good idea, except both Disney and Epcot were sold out weeks in advance for the entire Thanksgiving week, including the Tues and Wed that NCL was in port.  You would've have had to bought your Disneyworld tickets back in October.  Same with upcoming Christmas week.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

We got on the ship and I looked at the "excursion list".  What? No Charleston??  Now, it's not that Charleston is on my bucket list, but I've never been there and I was looking forward to the city tour and new (jewelry) stores to explore.  No explanation given was ever given.

The result....we never stepped foot on land.  

I know due to Covid these are uncertain times.  I'm also aware that NCL is not responsible for the weather.  But...we are grown-ups.  We deserved to know why we skipped Charleston and had 2 days in Port Canaveral.  I can't think of a worse port to stay overnight that Port Canaveral.  There's nothing to do there.  The view from the ship is industrial.  In just about any other port you could look out and see the sea, or something picturesque.  Why not another island in the Bahamas...or Key West...or Fort Lauderdale....or even an additional sea day.  This is especially true because they knew it wouldn't be good tendaring water for Great Stirrup Cay!!!

I love cruising and I had a good time.  I booked this cruise 5 days in advance, threw some clothes into a carry-on and took a cab to the dock.  If I had been a first timer....or flew into NYC "from somewhere"....I would have been very disappointed.

I am very disappointed with NCL's lack of communication. 

I am so sorry to hear that Charleston got skipped!  I think that’s the main reason I selected this itinerary.  We are leaving on Sunday, I sure hope it will not get dropped again.  But during Covid times, anything can happen.  We were on the Epic in December, & a port got dropped, we got an extra sea day.  Keeping my fingers crossed!