NCL GEM still in port

shout19661966

Icing conditions on the Hudson ?

Holding for a special order of Hot Chocolate - Hot Cider - whatever warms the belly.

May that new fangled muster drill video has some complications -

Com-on Paul Harvey the rest of the story - - -

Presently:

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

• Like 1

Earlier today, starting just before 1 pm - there was a major police incident involving law enforcement with shots fired, triggered by NY State trooper attempting a traffic stop on the RJK (formerly Triborough) Bridge heading from Queens (home to both LGA and JFK airports) toward Manhattan & Bronx that resulted in massive closure and complete gridlock conditions ... with residual delays into the evening hours, as the suspect/vehicle was chased onto East Harlem - arrested near 140th Street - ongoing police investigations at this hour.  

We're returning early from our extended holiday into NYC when we heard the alert, thankfully, navigated around with Waze/Google Navigation further north, saw the Gem sitting pretty on the Hudson as we zip north & east across the GW Bridge ... virtually nothing was moving south downtown toward Manhattan & jammed as everyone tried to get into Manhattan.  Possibly, maybe, that some NCL guests got caught sitting in airport transfers going nowhere for hours in the early afternoon trying to get to Pier 88-90 - if they're late or delayed somehow with their inbound flights and ground transfers ... so, it could help explain things, partially.  We got home a little after 2:15 pm, delayed by the expected heavy holiday surge in traffic volume by about 25 minutes (not bad ... northeast of LGA Airport).  

Ideally, most cruisers should've been heading toward the port no later than 10 or 11 am from area airports, and drivers doing the same likewise as it's not a typical Sunday morning ... taxis, car service, Uber/Lyft and passenger vehicles have some options to go around, but, buses & motor coaches are restricted on their choice of and alternate routes that they can use. 

It's almost 9 pm EDT and checking the live Gem ship-cam live, still docked & appeared not going yet ... that is the exception.  Sailing down the Hudson in the evening is pretty, light wind, cloudy but dry with 10 miles visibility, just a bit chilly on the open deck - starboard side for closeup views & photos of Lady Liberty, get out those digital zoom cams.  Bon Voyage, happy - safe - healthy sailing for those onboard. 

Seas are calm, no swells and favorable (light) tailwind once outside the NY/NJ Ambrose Channel into open waters - haven't read/heard of any issues with seasonal migratory whales slowing down maritime traffic issued by the USCG lately.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mking8288 - I just read about that a little while ago, along with NYPD finding a dismembered body on the LIE near Queens. Only in NY...

They've got 2 sea days lined up, so hopefully there's no ship issues and they can make up the time at sea. Fingers crossed that my buddy is at least on board and several drinks in by this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DinaS said:

As long as the restaurants and bars are open, and the entertainment is happening, I hope people on board are just enjoying themselves.

We spent a night on the BA tied up to pier 88, they charged NYC tax on all the drinks

10 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We spent a night on the BA tied up to pier 88, they charged NYC tax on all the drinks

I don't think NCL really ever wants to remain in port when they should be cruising.  As for the NYC taxes, it's a small charge, but it has nothing to do with NCL.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:25 PM, Sailing12Away said:

@mking8288 - I just read about that a little while ago, along with NYPD finding a dismembered body on the LIE near Queens. Only in NY...

They've got 2 sea days lined up, so hopefully there's no ship issues and they can make up the time at sea. Fingers crossed that my buddy is at least on board and several drinks in by this point.

So @Sailing12Awayas a couple of subsequent posts have indicated, we got a string of excuses from the captain as to why we did not sale on time. The first of those was traffic was heavy on the Hudson river – that’s bull crap. Anyone could see the traffic was light on the river.  So when that could no longer be put out as a possible reason the captain shifted to a “minor technical problem.”  I would think minor technical problems could typically be fixed at sea. Then they shifted to a “minor mechanical problem” which was the last reason we were offered. Me thinks a Rat got caught in the gears. 🥴 We did finally sail-away at 1 AM.

This of course has resulted in another change to our itinerary where we just pulled in to San Juan this morning around 5:30 AM.  We have port calls the next four days in Antigua, Philipsburg SM, Tortola BVI, and Saint Thomas before a to day return sailing.

Cheers!

Edited by HuliHuli

21 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

This of course has resulted in another change to our itinerary where we just pulled in to San Juan this morning around 5:30 AM.  We have port calls the next four days in Antigua, Philipsburg SM, Tortola BVI, and Saint Thomas before a to day return sailing.

on a bright side if it might be: 1)the original itinerary is mostly intact with no missing ports and 2) you now have a full regular day in san juan instead of the 4pm to midnight. I think a full day is better then the evening calls

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

on a bright side if it might be: 1)the original itinerary is mostly intact with no missing ports and 2) you now have a full regular day in san juan instead of the 4pm to midnight. I think a full day is better then the evening calls

Agree in part: We lost two ports before we boarded, but the balance has been preserved.  And a full day in San Juan is better.