On Board viking Star now.

PGI GUY

Embarkation was a bit longer than normal due to a full bus load ahead of us. If you did not  have a 48 hour test you had to be retested at the dock by Viking. We had our paperwork  completed  prior to getting to the dock. Once we got to the check in person it took about 10 minutes to complete the checking process.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:05 AM, PGI GUY said:

On the Star now until Dec 10th enroute to Panama. I am using my phone so expect short answers.If I can answer any questions,  I will do my best

Things are going well, however this is the 3rd cruise this crew has worked and some have not figured out how  to work as a team.  There are many crew  new  to Viking  and I am sure  they will get it together very soon.

Do you know what happens if a passenger tests positive on the daily Covid saliva test? Do they isolate you in board or put you off at a port?

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

But do you know what their policy is if someone does test positive?

Viking's policy is clearly stated in the Health & Safety FAQ. In addition, the Master must comply with the requirements of the local authorities in the ports you visit.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, deec said:

cant and shouldn't fly with Covid. I was told they will arrange a hotel  and local rep will e available for questions.  Sure hope I never have to find out first hand.

This is the only reason we are not cruising now. Afraid to take a chance of being stuck somewhere other than the USA.

• Like 2

Onboard Star now.  Just put off the Cozumel pilot.  So far, no positive cases onboard after day 3.

Passenger count is either 512 or 526 depending on who you ask.  The number of crew has

been reduced accordingly.  Not a ghost ship, but very quiet.

Viking is still testing daily and masks are still worn while inside.  On deck you may go

naked, or at least your face.  Cozumel is all masks all the time, even when driving a scooter.

Absurd.

Service is still excellent and the crew very friendly.  They tell us it is a 90% Philippino staff

for this cruise.

Dining is still limited to six persons sitting together.  The rules at the World Cafe have been

relaxed and now it is back to self serve for most items.

Star in pretty good condition considering her age.  Sunlight has gotten the better of various 

plastic deck fittings and lights. Viking has always been somewhat maniacal about

paintwork.  Oddly, I've seen no sign of anyone touching up rust spots or other faults.

Short staffing might have something to do with that.

Some of the furniture is getting a bit creaky and worn.  A few of the folding seats in the

back of the Star theater will dump you on the floor if you're not careful.

The electronic game tables on deck 1 Atrium are gone, replaced by standard furniture.

More later if I find anything of interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

How is the entertainment, the resident historian and guest lectures?

Any pictures of the holiday decorations onboard the ship?

We just got off the Sea yesterday after the Barcelona to San Juan cruise.  There was a Christmas tree in the atrium, one in Explorer's plus many lights around the ship.   Sorry - my photos were right side up, but CC insists on rotating them.  The gingerbread house in the atrium was really cool and was added to and changed several times.

AtriumChristmas.jpg

Gingerbread1.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, Donaghadee said:

Onboard Star now.  Just put off the Cozumel pilot.  So far, no positive cases onboard after day 3.

Passenger count is either 512 or 526 depending on who you ask.  The number of crew has

been reduced accordingly.  Not a ghost ship, but very quiet.

Viking is still testing daily and masks are still worn while inside.  On deck you may go

naked, or at least your face.  Cozumel is all masks all the time, even when driving a scooter.

Absurd.

Service is still excellent and the crew very friendly.  They tell us it is a 90% Philippino staff

for this cruise.

Dining is still limited to six persons sitting together.  The rules at the World Cafe have been

relaxed and now it is back to self serve for most items.

Star in pretty good condition considering her age.  Sunlight has gotten the better of various 

plastic deck fittings and lights. Viking has always been somewhat maniacal about

paintwork.  Oddly, I've seen no sign of anyone touching up rust spots or other faults.

Short staffing might have something to do with that.

Some of the furniture is getting a bit creaky and worn.  A few of the folding seats in the

back of the Star theater will dump you on the floor if you're not careful.

The electronic game tables on deck 1 Atrium are gone, replaced by standard furniture.

More later if I find anything of interest.

Thank you.  Will be embarking on the Star on December 24. 

Day 10.  The only positive test was of the ships doctor on day 7.  No one else has so much as a sniffle.

TV news makes it sound like we're returning to a plague ridden dystopia on the 24th. I'm not buying it.

Happy travels and Merry Christmas to all. 

• Like 1