Royal's ships 2023/24

11 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Geoff, I think there will only be one ship here in our winter, the Enchantment of the Seas. I think the Quantum & Ovation will continue the Alaska run. I think it maybe share between Sydney & Brisbane.   

Surely their aspirations are higher.
Their business case for the project would aim to maximise yearly calls.  They would have looked at the volume of air travel from Australia to Fiji and southern capitals to Cairns and modelled how much of those markets they could take.  
I’m expecting more than one winter ship but perhaps it takes a couple of years to ramp it up.  I personally don’t think Enchantment is the right choice for the first but you may well be right.  

• Like 1

So I emailed BIG GAV   ( I am being vague about the person on purpose)

‘About Spectrum coming to Sydney over winter and got a very interesting response.

In the response said, Noumea and vanuatu are closed to cruise ships and until they are open Australia is not a viable market for the size our ships.

So the coming season looks like it may be in jeopardy if the islands are not open.

I think I know why the pulled radiance out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

‘About Spectrum coming to Sydney over winter and got a very interesting response.

In the response said, Noumea and vanuatu are closed to cruise ships and until they are open Australia is not a viable market for the size our ships.

So the coming season looks like it may be in jeopardy if the islands are not open.

The other cruise lines may be thinking the same way as Big Gav, let us hope not.  When is he armada going to appear over the horizon?

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The other cruise lines may be thinking the same way as Big Gav, let us hope not.  When is he armada going to appear over the horizon?

I think the other lines will be thinking the same ,carnival sent a ship to the US as Royal with Radiance.

I would say Uncle Les that everything depends on the islands for the coming season.

The way I see it with Royal ,if the islands don’t allow cruise ships .
Quantum will go to Singapore instead of Brisbane and Ovation will just float around off the west coast USA again.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Here’s today’s vaccination rates for noumea and vanuatu.

Unless something changes over the next 5 months, I can’t see the big ships coming this season.

5DCF03AC-5590-417E-9095-3A86DA6BFA2E.thumb.jpeg.b8770c551dabde99b06a515a01e44e12.jpegBC81A3E2-07E4-4B7A-B151-D81478E67A27.thumb.jpeg.ce097c9b5edb084426c26ab949d51ba7.jpeg

The cruise lines will not want to expose their pax and crew in those areas with those low vaccination rates.

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The cruise lines will not want to expose their pax and crew in those areas with those low vaccination rates.

Yep ,if it got onto the ship ,it probably wouldn’t be allowed to come back to Australia.

Let alone the exposure to the local population.

It would be cheaper to let the ships float around off cypress or California empty.

16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Do you think that Ovation and Quantum of the Seas will not be here this summer even though they seem to be doing mostly local cruises and are promoting the Transpacific sailing on Quantum of the Seas.

• Like 1

I think that New Caledonia & Vanuatu are very unlikely to be open for cruiseships this coming season. Fiji is a better chance but really Fiji is just a little too far when people will want to visit land after maybe 2 sea days max, and it is more like a 9-10 days min for Fiji out of Sydney, not the 7 days island milk-run that many want. 

NZ is possible, but not certain I would say. We have 12N NZ on Ovation mid March, so a possibility. We actually would be happy to just have a cruise after this amount of time since SEAdays. As I wrote before I would be happy if we tied up at Athol Buoy for the 12 nights 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Do you think that Ovation and Quantum of the Seas will not be here this summer even though they seem to be doing mostly local cruises and are promoting the Transpacific sailing on Quantum of the Seas.

Personally I think they are promoting the coming season and if it happens they are in a good position to go.

But unless the islands are open the big ships won’t have the ports to operate to.

Especially Quantum ,a lot of it’s ports in the coming season are the islands.

Have a plan `B’ is my advice. Singapore has just let us cruise from there.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Yep ,if it got onto the ship ,it probably wouldn’t be allowed to come back to Australia.

Let alone the exposure to the local population.

It would be cheaper to let the ships float around off cypress or California empty.

The answer is - domestic cruises, at least for the shorter term.

22 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Personally I think they are promoting the coming season and if it happens they are in a good position to go.

But unless the islands are open the big ships won’t have the ports to operate to.

Especially Quantum ,a lot of it’s ports in the coming season are the islands.

Have a plan `B’ is my advice. Singapore has just let us cruise from there.

Please don’t say there’s a possibility that the season will be cancelled 😞 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, Jandex said:

Please don’t say there’s a possibility that the season will be cancelled 😞 

Just look at the mathematics.

RC said,if the islands aren’t open Australia is not a viable market.5DCF03AC-5590-417E-9095-3A86DA6BFA2E.thumb.jpeg.b8770c551dabde99b06a515a01e44e12.jpegBC81A3E2-07E4-4B7A-B151-D81478E67A27.thumb.jpeg.ce097c9b5edb084426c26ab949d51ba7.jpeg

Edited by Chiliburn

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Is that total population, including kids? 

I don’t know?

But their vaccination rate isn’t moving and RC said currently it Isn’t a viable market .

We must be realistic ,the big ships need more ports other than a few  east coastal ports.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know?

But their vaccination rate isn’t moving and RC said currently it Isn’t a viable market .

We must be realistic ,the big ships need more ports other than a few  east coastal ports.

Yes, ships need ports, but until a few weeks ago, they didn't know whether they would even have an Aussie port.

Just that our lovely numbers quoted are for the adult population, while other counties have lower %s, but with kids included.

I would think it gets to the stage where they do what QLD & WA did - here's our opening date, get vaxxed by then if you want to be protected. IF that is to happen, who knows if it is announced in time for the season. 

• Thanks 1

RNZ is reporting that Vanuata is having a soft reopening of its border next month to the end of June, for nationals and residents stranded overseas to return home. I guess that from July, they will start to welcome international visitors again.

18 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

RNZ is reporting that Vanuata is having a soft reopening of its border next month to the end of June, for nationals and residents stranded overseas to return home. I guess that from July, they will start to welcome international visitors again.

Our August P&O cruise to Vila has been converted to a North Q'ld cruise ☹️. Maybe our November one will actually go to Vila.🤞

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

Just that our lovely numbers quoted are for the adult population, while other counties have lower %s, but with kids included.

It depends where you get your figures from, as of today 83.1% of all Australians have had two vaccinations. Australian Vaccination Rates

According to this website, Australia is at 84.17%. World Vaccination Rates JHU

• Like 1

Here’s something from vanuatu health . Vila is pretty well vaccinated ,almost 90% of adults . There’s some hope 

Hawaii port  still doesn’t have Quantum and ovation transiting on the way to Australia In October 2022.
It does have the 2 ships going from Hawaii to  Alaska in April 2023.

https://covid19.gov.vu/index.php/vaccination/information

AF845F2E-6269-4591-9020-C8E424CC5651.thumb.png.7534b41f2649c8324a1c3d0bb249d4ae.png

• Like 1

If Vanuatu opens her ports, what New Caledonia does is less important.

For Hawaii, there are issues for Maui which requires pre-arrival testing. One of the cruise lines (can't recall which one) said they were not visiting Maui due to repairs to the wharf, which is surely just a coincidence. They are overnighting in Honolulu instead.

All of the Alaska to Australia relocations still have so much to have to fall into place. New Zealand has yet to open. French Polynesia currently requires pre-arrival testing, and longer cruises + required testing appear to show increased infections. I think they will be coming, but the itinerary is very much up in the air.

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If Vanuatu opens her ports, what New Caledonia does is less important.

For Hawaii, there are issues for Maui which requires pre-arrival testing. One of the cruise lines (can't recall which one) said they were not visiting Maui due to repairs to the wharf, which is surely just a coincidence. They are overnighting in Honolulu instead.

All of the Alaska to Australia relocations still have so much to have to fall into place. New Zealand has yet to open. French Polynesia currently requires pre-arrival testing, and longer cruises + required testing appear to show increased infections. I think they will be coming, but the itinerary is very much up in the air.

I seem to be missing something here,maybe it’s me.

But a lot of the larger ships can’t call at French Polynesia ,there’s a ban on ships with a capacity more than 3500  passengers full stop.

Unless they reduce capacity and get around the ban somehow.

But from what I understand it’s aimed at the size of the ships and the effect on the lagoon.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/french-polynesia-to-ban-mega-ships-from-calling-at-their-ports/ 

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I seem to be missing something here,maybe it’s me.

But a lot of the larger ships can’t call at French Polynesia ,there’s a ban on ships with a capacity more than 3500  passengers full stop.

Unless they reduce capacity and get around the ban somehow.

But from what I understand it’s aimed at the size of the ships and the effect on the lagoon.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/french-polynesia-to-ban-mega-ships-from-calling-at-their-ports/ 

Yes, it is capacity and not the number aboard. The ban came into place on 1st January. Bora Bora has an even tighter restriction of 1200 passengers per day. Unless on a smaller ship, Bora Bora is no longer possible. Moorea, Papeete and Raiatea are not part of the 3500 limit ban.

Opps, sorry. I misread it at the time. Any over 3500 capacity are banned. 2500 - 3500 can call at those 3 main ports

Edit: A spokesperson for Princess Cruises told Condé Nast Traveller they were "in dialogue with port officials" and hoped planned voyages would go ahead. Perhaps that dialogue is still happening?

Edited by arxcards