Swelling on a cruise?

colesc15

Yes, you read the title correctly lol. Curious what others have done to try and remedy it. I don't have this issue at home ever, but on a week long cruise, my ankles swell up like crazy. A combination of too much Sodium in the food and too much alcohol are 100% the reasons, so has anyone found the magical trick to prevent it? Generally after about a day of being home, completely back to normal. It doesn't help we go from the Midwest down to the humidity of Florida and the Caribbean. 

I try and elevate my legs whenever I can on the ship, but difficult since we're always on the move.

We don't use the elevator on the ships, ever. If we're on deck 4 and need to get to 14, we take the stairs. No exceptions. 

I drink plenty of bottled water. 

Cutting the alcohol isn't an option lol. 

Tricks? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the same EXACT problem. I take a mild diuretic which my doctors , over the years, have not had a problem ordering for me. The day I embark on the cruise, I take the diuretic and take it daily including the day I disembark. I take those pills ONLY when on a cruise. Works great for me. 

Edited by coffeebean

Drink at least 64 oz of water a day. This is also a healthy habit to continue with every day. This stimulates the production of urine naturally and Reduces the concentration of sodium and toxins in your body. Start doing this at least a month before your cruise so you get use to the new intake of liquids. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

This happened to me twice on cruises - until I started drinking just bottled water.  I don't drink tap water at all - only bottled water (even when brushing my teeth and if taking meds) - and a lot of it.  On our last Allure cruise (2017) - my ankles didn't swell.  I'll do the same on our March Oasis cruise - and I hope that helps.  Reading other posts above, I'll likely also take a diuretic. 

• Like 2

Try doing what injury clinics tell patients who have foot surgery or injuries, and get lots of swelling:

While laying in bed write the alphabet with your feet; both at the same time.  If you do it 3 times a day it should help reduce the swelling.  

• Like 1

I have had feet/ankle swelling on cruises before.  As a remedy, I only drink bottled water, plus a pre-dinner cocktail of course.  Do not drink the ice tea, lemonade, or flavored water offered in the WJ, since it's probably made with the same ship's desalinated water that seems to cause the swelling and fluid retention.  Also skip drinking the water that is poured at dinner in the dining room.  This worked for me, but like you, the swelling subsided after being home for a day or two.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

I never even considered magnesium before

Unfortunately, the ships are switching to Dasani filtered bottle water instead of spring water.  That water has sodium in it so that is going to be an issue.  

I did a few cruises requesting a low salt diet and that helped a lot.  It does restrict some of what you can have but just being able to get a baked potato that hasn't been soaked in salt water before cooking was a plus.