Jump to content

Best Affordable, bang for your buck for a teen


bananatami
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking for "expert" opinions on best cruise for a 15 year old boy. 

 

I came to you guys back in 2004 and you were all so great so here I am again! 

 

This will be my 3rd cruise (once when I was 10, then 21 on Carnival- so I have a sailer number if that would help)

 

Looking at some of the options, royal carribean seems to have a lot of options he would really enjoy, especially the putt putting.  But have read lots of mixed reviews on RC vs CC.

 

This will be our first real family vacation, so I'm sure anything would wow him. 

 

This would also be my fiance first cruise. 

 

We are pretty easy going and laid back.  Just want something that has a lot of cool things for the 15 y/o boy.

 

Looking for 3-4 days.  (Prefer mid April but know that may be more expensive due to spring break/peak time) 

 

Whatcha got?? 

 

TIA. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bananatami said:

Looking for "expert" opinions on best cruise for a 15 year old boy. 

 

I came to you guys back in 2004 and you were all so great so here I am again! 

 

This will be my 3rd cruise (once when I was 10, then 21 on Carnival- so I have a sailer number if that would help)

 

Looking at some of the options, royal carribean seems to have a lot of options he would really enjoy, especially the putt putting.  But have read lots of mixed reviews on RC vs CC.

 

This will be our first real family vacation, so I'm sure anything would wow him. 

 

This would also be my fiance first cruise. 

 

We are pretty easy going and laid back.  Just want something that has a lot of cool things for the 15 y/o boy.

 

Looking for 3-4 days.  (Prefer mid April but know that may be more expensive due to spring break/peak time) 

 

Whatcha got?? 

 

TIA. 

 

 

Oasis Class on Royal Caribbean. Allure, Oasis, Wonder and Symphony all have 4 and 5 day cruises. I don't think any other ship on any cruise line can offer a 15 yo as much as Oasis Class. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are taking your fiance (or is it fiancee) on her (or is it his?) first cruise, and you are sure "...anything would wow him..". (your 15 year old son).  Why aren't you thinking about what might be the best first cruise for your fiance?

 

What the hell are you thinking?  Your 15 year old son will be largely out of the picture in six or seven years -- how long do you expect to be with your fiance?

Edited by navybankerteacher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are taking your fiance (or is it fiancee) on her (or is it his?) first cruise, and you are sure "...anything would wow him..". (your 15 year old son).  Why aren't you thinking about what might be the best first cruise for your fiance?

 

What the hell are you thinking?  Your 15 year old son will be largely out of the picture in six or seven years -- how long do you expect to be with your fiance?

This is more of a vacation for my son.   My fiance and I just came back from q 6 day all inclusive trip to Jamaica.  Which is why I'm looking for my son to have the time of his life. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact is: either Carnival or Royal Caribbean can give a teen age boy a great experience.  Look at the itineraries, and the prices, perhaps pay him the compliment of asking for his opinion of whatever options you think will work for you and you fiance.    Being given the chance to have a say in things will far outweigh any differences between a couple of mass market lines. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You want your son to have the time of his life, but the short Oasis class cruises ( 4 different ships) during spring break are too expensive for you? RC is not exactly a luxury line. Far from it. If it's too expensive to give him what you think he wants, then forget value and bang for the buck and just pick the cheapest line you can find. That would likely be Carnival right now. Or look at cruises outside of spring break.

Edited by mom says
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he has never cruised before, he will be wowed by any but the oldest/smallest of Carnival or Royal ships.  If you start him with the biggest/newest he will always expect that, maybe be disappointed by the others.  And the amenities are not always the most important thing.  If he makes friends easily, he will find a few among the other teens onboard, and hang out with them.    And free 24/7 pizza is a teenage boys best friend.  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suggest MSC. They have a handful of ships sailing from the US (Port Canaveral and Miami). Of those, The Meraviglia is the closest you’ll get to one of Royal’s Oasis class of ships (it’s a huge ship with a wow factor, with an open indoor promenade, aqua park with water slides, ropes course, indoor sports plex, large facilities for teenagers, race car simulators, flight and rollercoaster simulator, bowling alley, etc). 
 

Also, MSC opened their private island, Ocean Cay last year and it’s a wonderful destination. Lots of things to do for the entire family and will definitely keep a teenager entertained. Many itineraries include stops that stay there until the evening hours, which allows passengers to enjoy the lighthouse laser and light show as well as evening beach parties. 
 

The best part about MSC? Their fares are usually substantially cheaper than other cruise lines, many times even cheaper than Carnival. They also offer great promotions including 3rd/4th passenger sail free, loyalty match programs, and balconies for the price of an inside or ocean view. If traveling as a family, these promotions make sailing on MSC very affordable. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think any larger ship can be fun for a kid that age. Probably the bigger, the better. 

 

I think the biggest wild card would be the socializing. It would likely be hard to enjoy all of that stuff without a friend and to have the time of your life. Relying on him making a best friend while on the cruise is a big gamble. Have him bring a friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Oasis Class on Royal Caribbean. Allure, Oasis, Wonder and Symphony all have 4 and 5 day cruises. I don't think any other ship on any cruise line can offer a 15 yo as much as Oasis Class. 

 

Agree and would also recommend the Quantum class.    A 15 YO will have a great time!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, bananatami said:

Whatcha got?? 

 

OP, 

 

I agree with the following poster.  I would also add MSC into the mix of considering CCL and RCL.  MSC Meraviglia has some attractions that I think would a teenage boy would enjoy.  Allowing him to help make the decision is an excellent adolescent experience for him to have.  

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact is: either Carnival or Royal Caribbean can give a teen age boy a great experience.  Look at the itineraries, and the prices, perhaps pay him the compliment of asking for his opinion of whatever options you think will work for you and you fiance.    Being given the chance to have a say in things will far outweigh any differences between a couple of mass market lines. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, bananatami said:

As great as that ship looks, it doesn't seem to be very budget friendly.  

every time I compared Carnival to RCI, RCI won pricing wise.

IMHO, Carnival is the Walmart of cruising, so plan accordingly. You may save some $$, but you get what you pay for. And, yes, I love shopping at Walmart, but I don't expect spectacular quality or a wow factor on a modest budget.

 

And just for comparison, I am paying $2,305 for the 3 of us in a carefully chosen balcony cabin on the RCI's Allure, and was about to shell out $2,006 for an inside guarantee on MCI's Seashore also for the 3 of us but I cancelled, because I am not paying that much for an inside guarantee. Seashore doesn't have anywhere near as many free fun things to do for a family/teen/preteen as does the Allure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...