Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

2 minutes ago, Jjg34219 said:

Interesting update on Covid

Quite different vs River

we embark in 2 weeks for the Rhine and were notified that masking will be required on and off the boat thru 5/29

That is interesting.  We were 100% masks on the ship in public areas indoors as well as on tour buses and indoor venues.  Outdoors, generally no masks were required.  A few weeks ago, we dropped the mask requirement on the ship, but kept it on tour buses and indoor venue while off the ship.  Today, we're all masked as so many new people got onboard.  They were all tested as soon as they got on, so by tomorrow morning, we'll be mask-free again as any contagious will have been isolated my then.

We are ok with whatever is expected. The email said it included independent excursions too so I have no clue how they can expect to monitor everyone not under watchful eye. We will be careful as there does seem to be an increase here in the States. I just thought it was interesting the differences between Ocean/River.

Have loved your daily posts…thanks and enjoy the remainder! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

We are ok with whatever is expected. The email said it included independent excursions too so I have no clue how they can expect to monitor everyone not under watchful eye. We will be careful as there does seem to be an increase here in the States. I just thought it was interesting the differences between Ocean/River.

Have loved your daily posts…thanks and enjoy the remainder! 

The differences are more likely a function of the various countries and their requirements. (I presume your river cruise doesn't start in Bergen 😁).     🍺🥌

24 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

The differences are more likely a function of the various countries and their requirements. (I presume your river cruise doesn't start in Bergen 😁).     🍺🥌

Youre probably right but at same time This WC has been all over Europe and masking had been dropped recently….the River cruises were also scheduled to be maskless but that didnt last more than a week….no big deal!

Garry, I too have avidly followed your blog and thank you very much for all the effort you put into it.  In particular, the pictures that you took for Rose and Ted’s vow renewal ceremony were superb.  It was especially meaningful in light of their not having been able to get pictures from their wedding.  I will be following along on your Homelands journey too and look forward to this year’s World Cruise and having similar adventures.  Many thanks!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And you would think the new cases of covid contracted it during their travels to the ship.  Yes, I know, airplanes are the "safest" places there are.....🥃

Nope. That's cruise ships. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:

Nope. That's cruise ships. 😉

Wow! Ten days in quarantine on a 14 day cruise. Crazy. On another point, I am amazed that Viking is getting passengers up in the middle of the night to go to the airport. We left the ship in London at 10:30 AM and we were the last off. There were people that had bus rides at 2:30 AM. That is just as bad as a red eye flight. I hope your flight is at a civilized time. Business class was nice but definitely not worth the high cost. 

2 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

Wow! Ten days in quarantine on a 14 day cruise. Crazy.

Yes, it is. I would much rather just get off the ship and quarantine in a hotel for 5 days or whatever that country required, especially if our trip insurance wouldn’t cover us if we stayed on the ship. Then afterward we could spend whatever time we had left traveling around wherever we were and try to salvage something from our vacation. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 140/152 Viking Homelands, Bergen Norway day 2 - at least it's consistent, and COVID is back

I've been following you from the beginning...wow....it's amazing how the cruise has gone and I'm happy that Viking was actually able to give you a WC!  I saw something familiar in this blog...the picture of the red door.  So, I went to my blog from 2014 in Bergen and found that very door, only I got it with the door open so you can see how very crooked the inside is, too.  Crazy how crooked the stairs are going up there.  Thought you might like to see it.

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 10.47.42 AM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 141/152 Viking Homelands - Eidfjord, Norway - Norway beauty at its finest

Even with the rain and fog, the scenery there is beautiful.  The fog actually gives a "mysterious" feeling to the photos (like maybe a troll is hidden out there somewhere).

I looked on weather.com for you for tomorrow - cloudy, 53 degrees with about a 38% chance of showers during the day - increasing in the late afternoon.  Looks like a little improvement for you anyway!

11 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 141/152 Viking Homelands - Eidfjord, Norway - Norway beauty at its finest

Hi to both 😀 thinking of getting some clothes together for our up coming cruise, was wondering what the aircon is like at night in the restaurant? Long sleeve and a scarf? 
I am trying not to look at your fabulous photos so I don’t spoil what I will be seeing 😂

3 hours ago, Rabbit27 said:

Hi to both 😀 thinking of getting some clothes together for our up coming cruise, was wondering what the aircon is like at night in the restaurant? Long sleeve and a scarf? 
I am trying not to look at your fabulous photos so I don’t spoil what I will be seeing 😂

Generally, it is plenty warm and comfy on the ship. The Explorers' Bar is chilly for some reason. If you get cool easily, long sleeves is probably a good idea. I can only really address the World Cafe as we didn't eat in The Restaurant often.

• Thanks 1

So very sorry to hear this bad news! Been following this all along. You and Arlona are such a great team! Maybe Viking will supply her with art supplies ..... that might be nice for her. Boo, hoo.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 142/152 Viking Homelands - Stavanger, Norway - Preikestolen, Hengjanefossen, and waffles - oh, and COVID

I am so so sorry Arlona has Covid 😔

Sending positive thoughts, that you will be together again real soon. 

This makes me VERY NERVOUS 😩 

take care !

• Like 3