Puerto Rico Requires Covid Test 48 Hours Before Entry

Suncoastsailors

We are scheduled to dock in Puerto Rico next week on the Rotterdam. Looks like this will not happen with this new 48 hour rule. Holland America has yet to change itinerary. But, unless things change it probably will not happen. Testing everyone on the ships has happened in the past but is expensive and may produce more positive test than expected. Another sea day or change of ports is most likely.

10 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

We are scheduled to dock in Puerto Rico next week on the Rotterdam. Looks like this will not happen with this new 48 hour rule. Holland America has yet to change itinerary. But, unless things change it probably will not happen. Testing everyone on the ships has happened in the past but is expensive and may produce more positive test than expected. Another sea day or change of ports is most likely.

I’ve been wondering this too as I’m on the Jan 2nd sailing of Rotterdam as well. Hopefully they just change it and let us know rather than waiting until the last minute. Maybe Puerto Plata instead? Who knows. I’ll just be happy go somewhere at this point. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

I wonder if it’s the cost, the time or their fear of the results that make HAL shy away from the testing PR requires.  I believe on the recently departed Viking world cruise they are testing everyone daily.  I think they had five denied boarding in Florida  and have had around 6-8 test positive onboard since.

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I wonder if it’s the cost, the time or their fear of the results that make HAL shy away from the testing PR requires.  I believe on the recently departed Viking world cruise they are testing everyone daily.  I think they had five denied boarding in Florida  and have had around 6-8 test positive onboard since.

I imagine at this late date that it’s the ability to obtain a few thousand test kits in a timely manner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We have been told (by friends who recently took a Viking River Cruise) that Viking (both river and ocean) do daily COVID testing via a saliva test.  Our friends had to submit their sample every evening and the results were available by morning.

We pointed out (in another post) that when we flew to Barbados (late July) for a Seabourn cruise, and short stay at Sandals, we were tested 5 times (2 PCR and 3 Antigen) within 3 weeks!  Since we have continued to travel during the Pandemic, DW and I have grown to consider testing as a normal part of our lives.  Recently we were visiting some folks (Xmas Eve) and were surprised when one in the household asked us about testing.  Although this lady is fully vaccinated it turns out she has never taken any kind of COVID test.  Our family members who live in NYC (including a 2 and 4 year old) have all been tested many times and plan on being tested again later this week.  I mention this because the testing situation really does depend on one's location and personal situation.  Where we live in Central PA, it can be a real hassle to arrange for a COVID test (forget about even finding a home test).  But if one lives in NYC there are testing facilities every few blocks and until the President suggested everyone get tested it was easy for anyone to get a free test.  Now, thanks to administration insisting that everyone should be getting tested (nearly all the time) we have a new national pastime (waiting in lines for a test).    We recently went and got ourselves a normal PCR test because we had recently returned from a trip and wanted to minimize the risk for any family/friends that we were seeing during the holidays.  While the testing center (Quest Labs) told us to expect results in 24-48 hours it took 4 days for DW's results (mine came in about 46 hours).    One wonders about the value of waiting 4 days for test results (many cases of COVID would be over in about 4 days) but that is what we got from a major reputable medical lab.

Hank

• Like 1

I believe that Viking Ocean has been the only cruise line to actually install a laboratory onboard to be capable of testing the entire passenger load. They conduct daily PCR Saliva tests that require the passengers to be done immediately in the morning before 8:00 am. Our room steward would occasionally knock on our door to collect our samples when we sailed with them in July. Of course, the maximum number of passengers onboard their small ships is 930. Each test takes on average 3 hours to run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

THe requirement applies to all arriving by air are required to present a test.  Noting about arrival by sea.  

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines

Agree. It pretty clearly doesn't mention testing for cruise ship passengers on a single day visit. Flying in to board a ship is another subject.

But, hey, slam HAL for no reason....

6 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

THe requirement applies to all arriving by air are required to present a test.  Noting about arrival by sea.  

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines

Sorry, but it does apply to cruise ships as of yesterday. I read the article, but was unable to figure out how to attach it to my posting. Google search Puerto Rice cruise port under News. 

Edited by Suncoastsailors

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been told (by friends who recently took a Viking River Cruise) that Viking (both river and ocean) do daily COVID testing via a saliva test.  Our friends had to submit their sample every evening and the results were available by morning.

We pointed out (in another post) that when we flew to Barbados (late July) for a Seabourn cruise, and short stay at Sandals, we were tested 5 times (2 PCR and 3 Antigen) within 3 weeks!  Since we have continued to travel during the Pandemic, DW and I have grown to consider testing as a normal part of our lives.  Recently we were visiting some folks (Xmas Eve) and were surprised when one in the household asked us about testing.  Although this lady is fully vaccinated it turns out she has never taken any kind of COVID test.  Our family members who live in NYC (including a 2 and 4 year old) have all been tested many times and plan on being tested again later this week.  I mention this because the testing situation really does depend on one's location and personal situation.  Where we live in Central PA, it can be a real hassle to arrange for a COVID test (forget about even finding a home test).  But if one lives in NYC there are testing facilities every few blocks and until the President suggested everyone get tested it was easy for anyone to get a free test.  Now, thanks to administration insisting that everyone should be getting tested (nearly all the time) we have a new national pastime (waiting in lines for a test).    We recently went and got ourselves a normal PCR test because we had recently returned from a trip and wanted to minimize the risk for any family/friends that we were seeing during the holidays.  While the testing center (Quest Labs) told us to expect results in 24-48 hours it took 4 days for DW's results (mine came in about 46 hours).    One wonders about the value of waiting 4 days for test results (many cases of COVID would be over in about 4 days) but that is what we got from a major reputable medical lab.

Hank

The very first covid test I ever had was the day before I flew out to join my cruise.  Then I had 2 on my cruise.  So I went through almost 2 years without having a test.  It hasn’t been encouraged where I live up til this point so it’s not that strange.  That said we’ve had a lot more restrictions in Canada then most places in the USA.  I live a pretty cautious life, with a small group of friends.  Up til omicron testing just for giggles isn’t part of the life of most people I know.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The very first covid test I ever had was the day before I flew out to join my cruise.  Then I had 2 on my cruise.  So I went through almost 2 years without having a test.  It hasn’t been encouraged where I live up til this point so it’s not that strange.  That said we’ve had a lot more restrictions in Canada then most places in the USA.  I live a pretty cautious life, with a small group of friends.  Up til omicron testing just for giggles isn’t part of the life of most people I know.

We should not let this deteriorate into a COVID thread but in the USA so much depends on where one lives.  Our DD and grandchildren live in NYC where there are many restrictions, rules, testing (almost on every corner) etc.  The New Yorkers we know (including our own family) think this is the norm across the country since that is what they know.  So when our DD and grandchildren came to Central PA they were partially surprised that we now have no restrictions, mask mandates, capacity controls, etc.  The folks who do wear masks do it because they feel more comfortable or think its right....not because some politician tells them do it or else.   In NYC you must show a vaccination card to enter a restaurant, hotel, etc.  but here in PA (a State which also has a Democrat Governor) nobody cares if you have a vaccination card and would certainly never ask to see the thing.  So that lady and her kid that were arrested at a NYC restaurant for refusing to show vaccination cards would be welcome at any PA restaurant without a card or mask.  Go figure.

Traveling around the USA can be quite confusing.  Not only does each State have its own rules but you also have additional local rules.  Since DW and I do continue to travel we have often found ourselves walking into a place and asking "what are the COVID rules here?"  Wearing a mask in some places of our country might get you in as much trouble (with locals) as NOT wearing a mask in other parts of our country.  And, of course, the COVID virus understands all these rules and acts accordingly :).  Just like on the airplane where we all wear masks until we are drinking or eating.  And then that very smart virus knows not to bother anyone unless they are not eating or drinking.  Boggles the mind.

Hank

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have to wear a mask everywhere I go indoors where I live.  You also have to show your vaccination record at restaurants.  I still wear my mask where I don't have to like in san Diego when I was there. 

Where on earth in Florida to you live that requires masks?!?  I’m in Massachusetts, one of the bluest states in the country, and even we don’t have mask mandates outside of Boston and the bordering towns. I’m in the suburbs and masks haven’t been required since last May. Though I have been wearing mine lately out of an abundance of caution due to sailing this weekend and needing to test on Friday. 

Edited by Bostonjetset

7 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Where on earth in Florida to you live that requires masks?!?  I’m in Massachusetts, one of the bluest states in the country, and even we don’t have mask mandates outside of Boston and the bordering towns. I’m in the suburbs and masks haven’t been required since last May. Though I have been wearing mine lately out of an abundance of caution due to sailing this weekend and needing to test on Friday. 

I live in Canada.  I think everywhere in Canada requires masks indoors but I wouldn’t swear to that.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

8 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

I believe that Viking Ocean has been the only cruise line to actually install a laboratory onboard to be capable of testing the entire passenger load. They conduct daily PCR Saliva tests that require the passengers to be done immediately in the morning before 8:00 am. Our room steward would occasionally knock on our door to collect our samples when we sailed with them in July. Of course, the maximum number of passengers onboard their small ships is 930. Each test takes on average 3 hours to run.

I expect that they use a method of grouping samples.  You combine a portion of each sample into a combined sample, lets say 100 people. If that comes back negative then you do not have to anything more with that hundred.  If it is positive then you make samples of 10 people each.  Eliminate any negatives, and then if one is positive then run those 10 individually.  Basically you  can test and find 1 positive out of a hundred with only have to run 21 tests.  instead of 100.  If everyone is negative you could run 1000 in 10 sample runs with that combination.  It is how the Chinese were doing so many samples early in the outbreak.  Would work very well with the way Viking is sampling.

3 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Sorry, but it does apply to cruise ships as of yesterday. I read the article, but was unable to figure out how to attach it to my posting. Google search Puerto Rice cruise port under News. 

So, if as you say, it changed yesterday,  you are upset at HAL for not changing things in less than 24 hours?

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So, if as you say, it changed yesterday,  you are upset at HAL for not changing things in less than 24 hours?

I am not upset at all. Just reporting what I read. I really don't care what ports we visit. Just thought it would be of interest to people on this site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nocl said:

I expect that they use a method of grouping samples.  You combine a portion of each sample into a combined sample, lets say 100 people. If that comes back negative then you do not have to anything more with that hundred.  If it is positive then you make samples of 10 people each.  Eliminate any negatives, and then if one is positive then run those 10 individually.  Basically you  can test and find 1 positive out of a hundred with only have to run 21 tests.  instead of 100.  If everyone is negative you could run 1000 in 10 sample runs with that combination.  It is how the Chinese were doing so many samples early in the outbreak.  Would work very well with the way Viking is sampling.

This is the way that it's done at my daughter's college every week.  They typically have only 0-1 cases each week, so it works well.  

17 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

I guess we got lucky!  We were just in Puerto Rico last week on Nieuw Statendam.

3 hours ago, sherryf said:

I guess we got lucky!  We were just in Puerto Rico last week on Nieuw Statendam.

Cruise Lines Begin to Suspend Visits to San Juan Due to New Requirements

Cruise Lines have started to suspend calls to San Juan, Puerto Rico due to new testing requirements implemented by local authorities.

Modified Date: Dec 28, 2021

Cruises From San Juan, Puerto Rico Photo Credit: refrina / Shutterstock.com

The implementation of new testing requirements for debarking cruise ship passengers is having a significant effect on the tourism industry in Puerto Rico. According to local news outlets, at least 11 calls from cruise lines sailing under the Royal Caribbean Group and Azamara Cruises have been cancelled.

The calls account for a revenue stream of at least 5.5 million dollars which has gone up in smoke for local residents; however, this number could climb to as much as $12 million or more as more cruise lines look at their options.

Multiple Cruise Lines to Avoid Puerto Rico

It is starting to look as if more and more cruise lines are choosing to avoid sailing to Puerto Rico, at least in the near future. According to local news, several cruise lines have now decided to skip San Juan in their itineraries. These include Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara Cruises.

The reason is that the local department of Health introduced a new requirement for all cruise ship visitors on December 26. The new protocols state that all guests must pass a COVID-19 test taken no more than 48 hours before arrival in the port. This makes it near impossible for any cruise line to comply.

Cruise Ships in San Juan Cruise Ships in San Juan (Photo Credit: fitzcrittle / Shutterstock)

Guests are required to test 48 hours before embarking on any cruise ship in the United States, the logistics to enable testing of thousands of people in the terminal or on board the ships would need some time to organize. Several locals have protested the measures from the government in Puerto Rico, which will have a considerable impact on the economy.

The Puerto Rico Shipping Association: “The cruise industry has made a monumental effort to prevent COVID-19 infections aboard its ships by making adjustments and outline strategies to keep the industry running. All cruise lines sailing from the United States are obliged to submit to strict controls and rules such as complete vaccination at least 14 days before boarding and negative COVID tests within 72 hours before the journey.”

“Cases identified on board cruises are intended to track and curb infections on board, not to alarm citizens as it has been happening. The main focus has always been to monitor and detect cases in order to respond to spread on board. There is no need to reach the point of hysteria and fear of COVID variants.”

Celebrity Edge in San Juan Celebrity Edge in San Juan (Photo Credit: Pamela Brick / Shutterstock)

This week there are visits scheduled for Celebrity Edge, Odyssey Of The Seas, Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Millennium, Regent Seven Seas Splendor, and Carnival Magic. Whether these ship visits will happen depends on whether the cruise lines can provide enough testing for guests onboard. In January 2022, 49 visits to San Juan are scheduled from all major cruise lines.

Cruise Hive has reached out to Royal Caribbean and will update this post once a response with further details is received.

Puerto Rico Tourism Industry Faces More Financial Losses

While the requirements from the Department of Health in Puerto Rico are a loss for the cruise industry, at least they will be able to spend the day at sea or find an alternative port of call that will accept the ships. The same does not count for the thousands of residents involved in the tourism trade in one way or another.

San Juan Cruise Port San Juan Cruise Port (Photo Credit: Gemma Fletcher / Shutterstock)

Juan Fernández, a local business owner, stated to Telemundo: “We were beginning to see the light and a good sign in the recovery of the cruise sector in the country after more than 20 months of absence of this. There is no doubt that we were beginning to feel the increase in sales, not only for merchants in Old San Juan, but also for tour operators, transporters, artisans, travel agents, museums, hotels, in short, the entire component of products and services. The government’s wrong, arbitrary and unilateral decisions are unjust and inappropriate.”

Also Read: Ideal Hotels Near San Juan Cruise Port

Puerto Rico stands to lose millions of dollars through cruise ship cancellations. The 11 calls from Azamara, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises alone account for a massive $5.5 million in lost revenue, a number that could go up to $12 million, or much more, if the restrictions remain in place through January.

The question is what agreements between the cruise lines and the local government mean. The restrictions do not mean that no cruise ships can visit Puerto Rico. However, whether cruise lines and guests are willing to put up with various destinations instating random, arbitrary rules, which go against those same agreements, remains to be seen.

Feel free to discuss this topic and all things cruise at our new boards. A place where readers can ask questions, help their fellow cruisers and general cruise discussions on cruise lines and ports.

CRUISE HIVE NEWSLETTER

Expert cruise tips and news! We'll send you weekly newsletters to your inbox with the latest cruise news and tips.

SUBSCRIBE

Check Prices for the best cruises
Select DestinationAlaska (All)    Alaska - Gulf of Alaska    Alaska - Inside PassageBermudaCanada, New England, New YorkCaribbean (All)    Caribbean - Bahamas    Caribbean - Eastern    Caribbean - Southern    Caribbean - Western (All)        CubaCruise to NowhereEurope (All)    Europe - Mediterranean (All)        Europe - Eastern Mediterranean        Europe - Western Mediterranean    Europe - Northern Europe    Europe - Western EuropeHawaiiMexicoOther (Asia/Africa/Middle East)Panama Canal, Central AmericaRiver Cruises - All (All)    River Cruises - China/Asia    River Cruises - Egypt/Africa    River Cruises - Europe    River Cruises - Russia    River Cruises - South America    River Cruises - United StatesSouth America (All)    GalapagosSouth Pacific (All)    South Pacific - Australia    South Pacific - TahitiTransatlanticTranspacificU.S. (All)    Coastal - West Coast    U.S. - American Rivers    U.S. - Pacific, Northwest    U.S. - SoutheastWorld CruiseSelect MonthDecember, 2021January, 2022February, 2022March, 2022April, 2022May, 2022June, 2022July, 2022August, 2022September, 2022October, 2022November, 2022December, 2022January, 2023February, 2023March, 2023April, 2023May, 2023June, 2023July, 2023August, 2023September, 2023October, 2023November, 2023December, 2023January, 2024February, 2024March, 2024April, 2024May, 2024June, 2024July, 2024August, 2024Select Cruise LineCarnival Cruise LinesCelebrity CruisesDisney Cruise LineHolland America LineMSC CruisesNorwegian Cruise LinePrincess CruisesRoyal CaribbeanAzamara Club CruisesCompagnie Du Ponant Yacht CruisesCosta CruisesCrystal CruisesCunardHurtigruten CruisesOceania CruisesRegent Seven Seas CruisesRitz-Carlton Yacht CollectionSeaDream Yacht ClubSeabournSilversea CruisesViking Ocean CruisesVirgin VoyagesWindstar Cruises3 Night Bahamas (Miami Roundtrip)7 Night Bahamas & Florida (New York Roundtrip)4 Night Bahamas (Miami Roundtrip)10 Night Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)7 Night Western Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)11 Night Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)14 Night Southern Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)11 Night Southern Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)
Norwegian Sky - February 10, 2023

Edited by Suncoastsailors

I guess if any cruise leaves FLA and is not travelling directly to San Juan, then they already know they won't stop.  Otherwise, everyone has to tested on board.    

I do not understand why Puerto Rico (part of the USA) won't allow folks to get off it they show vaccine status and negative tests to get on board.  Still part of USA.

The rules will affect a lot of itineraries who won't stop on day 2 of trip.