Labadee - current status?

Sosai X

We're on the 1/29 sailing of Jewel of the Seas, and Labadee is presently one of our scheduled stops.  My understanding is that it's not usable right now, but RCI keeps saying there has been no change to our itinerary so far.   

So - is it up and running or not?   And if not, what ports, if any, have been recently substituted for the Labadee stop?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Royal is lucky just to find a port to stop at right now....period.

Bet they wish they had their private destination available right now. But sadly covid is the least of Haiti's problems right now

• Like 1

Not currently open. No way of knowing for certain if it will be by the time of your cruise, but I think it's doubtful it will be.

Royal is having to juggle around itineraries based on individual islands changing their Covid-19 policies. So I think there is a decent chance it's still going to be a week or two before you get any sort of update. Rather than change Labadee now, then end up changing the itinerary again in a few days, then again end of next week... I think they are probably focuses on nailing down itineraries as much as possible closer to two weeks out. Just too much up in the air.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sosai X said:

We're on the 1/29 sailing of Jewel of the Seas, and Labadee is presently one of our scheduled stops.  My understanding is that it's not usable right now, but RCI keeps saying there has been no change to our itinerary so far.   

So - is it up and running or not?   And if not, what ports, if any, have been recently substituted for the Labadee stop?

All your ports are in jeopardy. I cancelled for full refund. Look at the current porting requirements of the islands, then look at the N.Y. Times covid charts for Florida, United States, and the islands in question and tell us where you think you might port? 

37 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Jan 23rd sailing does not include Labadee.

Yes, it does. Maybe you made an incorrect assumption that because the original poster is on Jewel that the person sailing 1-23 is as well? Harmony's January 23 sailing is still currently listed as stopping at the Labadee, and that is likely to be changed as well.

Edited by Tolkmit
  • Like 1

That is crazy that itineraries are still showing Labadee.  RCI hasn't stopped there in months, and there is no way it will any time soon. 

Covid and the lack of RCI personnel on the property have allowed the locals to take over, and the political situation is still extremely precarious.  Once the government stabilizes, it's going to take quite a bit of clean up before Labadee is ready for cruise passengers again.  No one knows when that will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster said:

On 1/29 sailing of Jewel also. Looks like all the other ports look iffy. San Juan, St Maarten and Antigua are showing along with Labadee.

You're not going to San Juan.  PR has implemented across the board Covid testing requirements with no exceptions for cruise passengers, and the cruise lines are unable to meet them.  They will not be lifted by the end of January.

You will make St. Maarten.  It hasn't kicked a ship since the Allure a couple of weeks ago, and now has the Rhapsody right off port as an RCI crew quarantine ship.

Antigua has thus far been following the 1% Covid positive rule and kicking any ship that exceeds those numbers, along with most of the other smaller islands.  There's been a very recent wrinkle in that, however, as Antigua has permitted the Anthem to dock right after St. Kitts kicked it.  They had been operating in lockstep up until the last few days.

I haven't been to Labadee since 1991, and frankly I'm okay with it if we skip - just wanted a nice clean beach for my wife and kiddos.   If we skip San Juan, meh, I'm Puerto Rican and can make my own mofongo.

St. Maarten and Antigua are the big draws for me, so as long as we go there I don't give a rodent's posterior what the other ports turn out to be or even if they're sea days, just as long as we've got good food and drinks available on the ship and cool people to hang out with.

At a distance.  😉

1 hour ago, DevonfromAcme said:

You're not going to San Juan.  PR has implemented across the board Covid testing requirements with no exceptions for cruise passengers, and the cruise lines are unable to meet them.  They will not be lifted by the end of January.

You will make St. Maarten.  It hasn't kicked a ship since the Allure a couple of weeks ago, and now has the Rhapsody right off port as an RCI crew quarantine ship.

Antigua has thus far been following the 1% Covid positive rule and kicking any ship that exceeds those numbers, along with most of the other smaller islands.  There's been a very recent wrinkle in that, however, as Antigua has permitted the Anthem to dock right after St. Kitts kicked it.  They had been operating in lockstep up until the last few days.

Thank you for your perspective. Hard to track of all the ports not allowing passengers to depart. So maybe 2 ports on an 8 night cruise?

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, DevonfromAcme said:

That is crazy that itineraries are still showing Labadee.  RCI hasn't stopped there in months, and there is no way it will any time soon. 

Covid and the lack of RCI personnel on the property have allowed the locals to take over, and the political situation is still extremely precarious.  Once the government stabilizes, it's going to take quite a bit of clean up before Labadee is ready for cruise passengers again.  No one knows when that will be.

Seems strange to me also that Labadee is still showing as a stop for ships sailing this month. Royal knows this destination has been trashed.

Edited by coaster

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Seems strange to me also that Labadee is still showing as a stop for ships sailing this month. Royal knows this destination has been trashed.

I'm all about going on this cruise still, but the prospect of only having 2 ports, tops, on an 8 night cruise is giving me pause.   Think they'd find alternates or we'd be definitely down to just two stops?   I know it's impossible to say, but as many here have tracked other cruises more closely than I have, I'm seeking as much info as possible before making a go/no-go decision.

7 hours ago, Sosai X said:

I'm all about going on this cruise still, but the prospect of only having 2 ports, tops, on an 8 night cruise is giving me pause.   Think they'd find alternates or we'd be definitely down to just two stops?   I know it's impossible to say, but as many here have tracked other cruises more closely than I have, I'm seeking as much info as possible before making a go/no-go decision.

Ours for the 15th was changed from Labadee and San Juan to a sea day and St Thomas. Not entirely thrilled with it but I get it. That could still change once onboard. My big draw was St Maarten, so as long as we get there, I'll survive!!