Just back from APEX today - 1/8/2022

eroller

Just off the beautiful CELEBRITY APEX this morning.  What can I say except that I was blown away.  After 130+ cruises on many cruise lines and ships, it's becoming harder and harder to be WOWed ... but let me say APEX WOWed me!!  It's been a few years since I've sailed on Celebrity and I've always loved the line, but other cruises and ships have kept me occupied the past few years.  Ever since EDGE made her debut I was dying to experience this class of ship, and I'm so pleased I was finally able to.  From start to finish the Celebrity attention to detail, fantastic food and service, and most of all the high-design of CELEBRITY APEX herself delighted to no end.  The ship is literally a work of art with surprises and insightful details & art at every turn.  Sophisticated with just enough whimsy.    

This cruise was all about the ship and not the ports, which is a good thing because the itinerary was nothing to write home about.  In fact I never got off the ship.  Puerto Plata and Nassau.  We never made it to Nassau, denied entry even though MSC DIVINA, NORWEGIAN ENCORE, and DISNEY MAGIC all were able to dock there yesterday.  So it was to be a day at sea which was fine by me, but I was hoping to get off in Nassau only to photograph the ship.  

I ran into the Hotel Director one afternoon and he informed me that we had 1293 passengers onboard.  Less than half full.  Needless to say no lines for anything, dining whenever you wanted, and certainly no issues finding loungers by the pool.  Service could not have been better and the crew and staff just seemed happy to have us onboard, and they were phenomenal. The drawback of so few people (and a Covid outbreak) was more limited entertainment and no shows in Eden which I was disappointed about.  They were able to schedule two production shows in the main show lounge and I enjoyed those, plus the usual assortment of live music, a singer, and comedian.  If there was one downfall of so few people onboard, it was that in the evening hours there were rarely enough people to fill all the entertainment venues.  Some seemed empty all the time, especially Eden which is unfortunate.  Masks were required this cruise, and honestly it wasn't a big deal and I saw everyone comply.  They were not required if actively eating or drinking, or in the outdoor areas which was fair enough.  

One aspect of APEX I loved are the 4 included smaller main dining venues instead of one massive dining hall.  We dined in all four, and the food and service was so good in each that we never felt the need to pay for a speciality restaurant.  Perhaps Celebrity should rethink this concept?  LOL.  In fact we felt like we were dining in a specialty restaurant each evening, with Normandie being our favorite.  We dined there twice.  Since the passenger load was so light, there was no assigned seating.  Just show up to any restaurant at any time and be seated right away.  Plenty of social distancing.  I was pleased and surprised that even with the light passenger load, Celebrity operated all the dining venues including speciality restaurants and didn't shut anything down.  The Oceanview Cafe was one of the best buffets of any ship I've experienced, with a great variety and very good quality.  The staff did serve everything so no people helping themselves which honestly I wish they would do even in non-COVID times.  So much more sanitary.   While I loved how uncrowded everything was, I felt bad for Celebrity and the entire cruise industry as this type of operation is not financially sustainable long term.  Every time they get back on their feet, they take another hit and they have become a major scapegoat for the media.  Personally I felt safer on Apex than in South Florida where I live.  Everyone was vaccinated, and everyone was tested within two days of the cruise.  Also everyone wore masks onboard.  I can't think of anywhere on land where I have those odds.  Also the ship was spotless and could not be cleaner.  I felt very safe.  

One circumstance of COVID was that my cabin changed.  I had booked a single cabin (6226) on Deck 6 and my friend did the same.  We heard that Deck 6 was being used for an isolation area (although reports were mixed), so we sort of expected to be moved.  We both kept checking our reservation and the Celebrity App daily and no cabin change.  I even checked the Celebrity App after refreshing it in the terminal at Port Everglades just before we entered the security check-point.  Nope no cabin change.  We got through security and a representative checked us in using a hand held device.  She informed us both that our cabins had changed.  I was moved to 12112, a Concierge Class stateroom.  My friend to 11185, also Concierge Class.  I refreshed the Celebrity App and poof, the new cabin was there.  So Celebrity must have a way of concealing the cabin change until you actually check-in, as I know it wasn't changed that very second.  I'm a bit of techie so I found it interesting they have that technology.  Speaking of technology the APEX is a techie's dream.  You can use your smartphone to open the cabin door, open the blinds and balcony window, adjust the lighting, and even operate the TV.  Very impressive.  Of course the App can also be used to book dining venues, shore excursions, and check your onboard statement.  The daily program was also on the app and could be refreshed for any changes, although they still deliver the paper copy nightly.  I loved the cabin and was thankful for the upgrade to Concierge.  It's probably not a cabin I would personally recommend because there was a little obstruction.  The overhang was just above; window washing equipment was stored in this location; and the cabins just aft extend out so my view aft was blocked.  None the less it was a great cabin in a great location.  I was in suite territory with all the largest suites on the ship just next to me.  So close yet so far away!  LOL.  Thoughts on the Infinite Balcony concept?  I quite liked it because I love the technology, but overall I would probably pick a standard balcony.  I like putting on suntan lotion on the balcony, putting my wet bathing suit out there to dry, and sitting on the balcony without having the a/c shut off in the cabin.  Also sometimes I just want to get out of bed and step out on the balcony to look at the night sky and see if any other ships are around.  That was more difficult with the Infinite Balcony as it meant opening the blackout shade and lowering the window.  All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to book an Infinite Balcony again because I still enjoyed it, but I think a standard balcony is slightly better suited for me.  I loved APEX so much that my minor gripes about the balcony would never prevent me from rebooking this class of ship.  

I took over 500 photos of the ship (it's amazingly photogenic) and I'll get those uploaded to my photo site and post the link here when it's ready.  Meanwhile attached is a sample of some of my photographs.  Hope you enjoy.    

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Edited by eroller
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Birdnutty said:

Beautiful pix, and thanks for sharing.  It seems so strange to see pictures without tons of people in them. 

Thank you!  Just for reference I always take my onboard ship pics without people, even on completely full ships.  Sometimes it's challenging but I usually do it on a port day when everyone is ashore.  For me it's all about capturing the public spaces of the ship for my photo journals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great write up. And I agree completely with your view….especially the 4 MDRs. Outstanding. We did a 2019 B2B on Edge and a 2021 Thanksgiving on Apex,. We are set for an Edge TA in 2022 and a Iceland then Norway B2B on Apex in 2023. We love all the Celebrity Class ships, but E-Class is more than a step up in so many ways……for us. 

We Love the E-Class!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, eroller said:

You can use your smartphone to open the cabin door, open the blinds and balcony window, adjust the lighting, and even operate the TV.  

Thanks for your review. I appreciate and enjoy your enthusiasm. 

Regarding using the app to operate the TV, did you happen to notice if there was an option to enable a sleep timer? For some reason, most cruise ship TVs don't seem to have a sleep timer option. I've tried downloading Samsung remote apps, and my friend even brought her remote from home once, but we both struck out. 

5 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Thanks for your review. I appreciate and enjoy your enthusiasm. 

Regarding using the app to operate the TV, did you happen to notice if there was an option to enable a sleep timer? For some reason, most cruise ship TVs don't seem to have a sleep timer option. I've tried downloading Samsung remote apps, and my friend even brought her remote from home once, but we both struck out. 

That would be a great option yes, but no I don't recall such a feature unfortunately.  

• Thanks 1

I sailed Apex for Christmas and am currently on a B2B on Edge and completely agree with you. X hit a home run with these E class ships and the Retreat is really the only way to go for me now. I'm Pinnacle on RC but and pretty much done with them. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your refreshing review and beautiful photos. We are scheduled to sail on the Apex early in February, but are painfully considering postponing until pandemic conditions improve.  Glad you had a safe and enjoyable cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Thank you!  Just for reference I always take my onboard ship pics without people, even on completely full ships.  Sometimes it's challenging but I usually do it on a port day when everyone is ashore.  For me it's all about capturing the public spaces of the ship for my photo journals.  

If I might ask if you were using the Basic Surf Internet package while onboard, did you on occasion attempt to access the Cruise Critic forums and, if so, did you run into any issues?

2 hours ago, eroller said:

The drawback of so few people (and a Covid outbreak) was more limited entertainment and no shows in Eden which I was disappointed about.

First of all thank you for a great write up. I agree with all your observations about the Apex. I just wanted to comment that I don't think the absence of shows in Eden was due to low passenger count. I was on the Dec. 11th sailing and we had less passengers than your sailing and there were multiple shows and entertainment in the evenings at Eden.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed your well-written review and beautiful, professional-looking photos. We were on a b2b on Apex in November and were also absolutely wowed by the ship. Just so many well-designed features and options that we really enjoyed about the ship. I did not know about the smart features in the cabin so I will be sure to try the next time on an E-class ship.

We were in Aqua Class so we ate in Blu and did not experience the 4 dining rooms. When eating in the 4 dining rooms, I understand we can order from the MDR menu in all four, but do they also have selected options (appetizers? entrees? desserts?) unique to that dining room that we can order? Is there a cost for those items?

10 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

I understand we can order from the MDR menu in all four, but do they also have selected options (appetizers? entrees? desserts?) unique to that dining room that we can order? Is there a cost for those items?

Yes, there are specialty items(choices for all three courses) that reflect the cuisine of the dining room and are no extra cost. You can order them from any dining room, including Blu. Additionally there was no reason that you couldn't have dined in any of the other dining rooms even if you're in Aquaclass. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask if you were using the Basic Surf Internet package while onboard, did you on occasion attempt to access the Cruise Critic forums and, if so, did you run into any issues?

I did have the basic surf package, and no you cannot access Cruise Critic.  The site will populate, but in it's raw form (not sure of the correct terminology), and none of the hyper-links work.  When you click them you just end up back at the raw menu page.  

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, there are specialty items(choices for all three courses) that reflect the cuisine of the dining room and are no extra cost. You can order them from any dining room, including Blu. Additionally there was no reason that you couldn't have dined in any of the other dining rooms even if you're in Aquaclass. 

TY! I wondered how that worked. I did not know we could order those items from Blu. Now I know for next time on E-ships and if in Aqua Class. 

22 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

I enjoyed your well-written review and beautiful, professional-looking photos. We were on a b2b on Apex in November and were also absolutely wowed by the ship. Just so many well-designed features and options that we really enjoyed about the ship. I did not know about the smart features in the cabin so I will be sure to try the next time on an E-class ship.

We were in Aqua Class so we ate in Blu and did not experience the 4 dining rooms. When eating in the 4 dining rooms, I understand we can order from the MDR menu in all four, but do they also have selected options (appetizers? entrees? desserts?) unique to that dining room that we can order? Is there a cost for those items?

Thank you and yes you're correct about the dining rooms.  Each of the 4 MDR's have essentially three different menu sections each evening, and you can mix and match as you wish.  First is the special selection just for that specific dining room (Normandie, Cypress, Cosmopolitan, and Tuscan).  The items are themed for the that venue and include appetizers, main course, and even deserts.  Second is the general menu for that evening, the one that changes each night.  Those selections will be the same in each of the dining rooms.  Lastly are the "everyday" items that don't change, but are available each evening in each of the dining rooms.  Between the three menu sections, it's quite extensive every evening and you are guaranteed to find things you like.   Oh and no cost for any of them.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

First of all thank you for a great write up. I agree with all your observations about the Apex. I just wanted to comment that I don't think the absence of shows in Eden was due to low passenger count. I was on the Dec. 11th sailing and we had less passengers than your sailing and there were multiple shows and entertainment in the evenings at Eden.

Ok in that case perhaps it was due to COVID illness in some of the performers?  Initially there were not even going to be any production shows.  None were scheduled on the app.  Then we got lucky and they were able to schedule Crystalize on the 3rd night and Rockumentary on the last night.  No performances in Eden.  The put a couple singers in there but no shows.  

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

No performances in Eden.  The put a couple singers in there but no shows.

I guess it depends on what you consider shows. As you stated there's live music performances from the various bands, entertainers and singers that's onboard. But there are shows and they are called, Night of the Arts, Night of Enchantment,Night of the Year,Night of Adrenaline, and Night of Dreams.

8 minutes ago, eroller said:

I did have the basic surf package, and no you cannot access Cruise Critic.  The site will populate, but in it's raw form (not sure of the correct terminology), and none of the hyper-links work.  When you click them you just end up back at the raw menu page.  

That’s exactly what we experienced when we were on the Apex back in November. Thanks! Something must have changed with the Basic Surf internet services on the Apex today as there is someone posting a bunch of photos on a new Apex CC thread that started today and did not upgrade to streaming.

I opened another thread to see if folks currently on other Celebrity ships are experiencing this “new” enhancement to their Basic Surf package. Hopefully Celebrity has finally seen the light and improved their Basic Surf package to make it more useable. One can hope anyway …

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I guess it depends on what you consider shows. As you stated there's live music performances from the various bands, entertainers and singers that's onboard. But there are shows and they are called, Night of the Arts, Night of Enchantment,Night of the Year,Night of Adrenaline, and Night of Dreams.

When I’m talking shows I’m really talking production shows. Yes they had a couple solo singers in Eden but they had those in the atrium as well, and I didn’t consider it a show.  Just musical entertainment.  There was a solo singer in the showlounge  Claire Maidin who is married to the Hotel Director.  She was accompanied by the 8-piece Celebrity orchestra. That really was a show, a true performance,  and a good one at that.  What I saw in Eden was basically a cocktail lounge singer.  Not a show.  Unfortunately none of those production shows you mentioned.  I would have loved to see them, and see Eden in that element. 

Edited by eroller

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That’s exactly what we experienced when we were on the Apex back in November. Thanks! Something must have changed with the Basic Surf internet services on the Apex today as there is someone posting a bunch of photos on a new Apex CC thread that started today and did not upgrade to streaming.

I opened another thread to see if folks currently on other Celebrity ships are experiencing this “new” enhancement to their Basic Surf package. Hopefully Celebrity has finally seen the light and improved their Basic Surf package to make it more useable. One can hope anyway …

Hopefully it has changed, or perhaps that poster has the streaming service and doesn’t even realize it? 

1 minute ago, eroller said:

Hopefully it has changed, or perhaps that poster has the streaming service and doesn’t even realize it? 

That has occurred to me. But when the OP did a speed test, it was 1 mbps which is a speed we experienced when we were using the Basic Surf package on the Apex back in Nov. But as one famous person said awhile back, “Trust, but Verify”. 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

When I’m talking shows I’m really talking production shows. Yes they had a couple solo singers in Eden but they had those in the atrium as well, and I didn’t consider it a show.  Just musical entertainment.  There was a solo singer in the showlounge  Claire Maidin who is married to the Hotel Director.  She was accompanied by the 8-piece Celebrity orchestra. That really was a show, a true performance,  and a good one at that.  What I saw in Eden was basically a cocktail lounge singer.  Not a show. 

Sounds like the cut back they entertainment in Eden. I assume there weren't any of the 'Night of....' shows on your cruise? I attended one of them,Night of the Arts, and what it was is a variety show of the various performers on the ship. At the start was an artist who was painting artwork as the various acts performed one by one. The show was 90 minutes. My impression is the the other shows are of similar ilk and not a full on production show like Tree of Life in the Theater.