Any “Stella” drinkers who have cruised recently?

somogirl

Stella beer is now brewed in St. Louis, not Belgium anymore. If the bottle says “Imported” it’s from Belgium. If the bottle says “Premium” it’s from St. Louis. Does anyone know where the cruise ship is getting their beer from?  Husband would like to know before upgrading the drink package. 

OP: I should add that, as a beer drinker, my big problem with the premium package is that a lot of the premium beers are not at a lot of the bars, they just don't have room in some of the bars for the selections.

Edited by rmalbers

22 hours ago, rmalbers said:

OP: I should add that, as a beer drinker, my big problem with the premium package is that a lot of the premium beers are not at a lot of the bars, they just don't have room in some of the bars for the selections.

Interesting, thank you for the info. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, rmalbers said:

The best i could find on the Reflection was Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA. It was available at most bars. Unfortunately most servers did not know what it was. The only reason i found it, was that it was listed on the craft beer menu @ Cellar-masters, and was told there it should be available at most bars.

I am not a big beer drinker but always like Stella and had one for lunch need to check the bottle next time , tasted fine. I remember coming back to the USA after spending a year in Germany while in the army 50 years ago took a long time to get used to American beer again.

6 minutes ago, George C said:

I am not a big beer drinker but always like Stella and had one for lunch need to check the bottle next time , tasted fine. I remember coming back to the USA after spending a year in Germany while in the army 50 years ago took a long time to get used to American beer again.

Years ago American beer was bad and I used to only order imported beer like Heineken, Molson, Becks, Dos Equis or Pilsner Urquell. But times changed, craft breweries have made American beer good with many choices. The only imported beer I drink now is Guiness or Dos Equis. 

50 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

It's a really rubbish beer imho

I agree.

You have a lot of great brews in the UK. We did not start getting good beer here until the 90's. So many before that would order something like Heinekin or Stella as something better than Amrican beer. Now we almost have too many good beers. Where I live there a bunch of micro breweries and I can walk to four of them plus to a World of Beers with a huge selection. At the supermarket here there is a huge selection of brands.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

27 for me, George. Never did get used to American beer...

Fortunately, there are a LOT of crafts and micros out there now. But can't handle fermented rice water with a touch of barley and a (single) hop in the next room!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a surprise to see Stella on the Premium package as here in UK supermarkets it’s the one of the cheapest lagers on sale,,always on offer.

Im a bitter drinker myself so I’m ok with John Smiths or Boddies on board and of course Guinness.

American cans of gas such as Bud,Coors or Miller? No thanks.

• Haha 1

I had the occasional bottle of Stella on The Constellation (sailing from Florida), and the beer was disappointingly brewed in the USA.  Probably no worse than the UK brewed version.  Both are inferior to the Belgium version of course (Belgium beer needs Belgium water and ingredients).

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Would "Stella" compare to any American beer in taste?

It is a middle of the road lager. Maybe close to Miller. Stella is I believe owned by Anhauser-Bush. That possibly explains why the US version is brewed in St. Louis. You should be able to find it to try yourself. Many bars in the US carry it on draft. It is sold many places in cans. Its sales rest on a 30 year old reputation when it was marketed as sophisticated.

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is a middle of the road lager. Maybe close to Miller. Stella is I believe owned by Anhauser-Bush. That possibly explains why the US version is brewed in St. Louis. You should be able to find it to try yourself. Many bars in the US carry it on draft. It is sold many places in cans. Its sales rest on a 30 year old reputation when it was marketed as sophisticated.

This is about as truthful as it comes re Stella.  That said, like food, drinking is very subjective, I’m glad we have choices. 

Edited by PTC DAWG