The Daily for Tuesday 01/18/2022

richwmn

Make sure you access familysearch.org for ancestry info. This is the ancestry website for the Morman church. Whatever you think of their religious practices, they have done an amazing job of preserving records in many countries and make it available to all, not just members. My ancestors are ethnic Germans from Croatia and if it wasn’t for the Morman church many of the historical records would have been lost in the wars there. If you have a family history location near you, they usually have someone there that will even help you with your research. I’m still working on getting my relatives back to their German roots. Ancestors left Germany to colonize what was then the outer reaches of the Austro-Hungarian empire equivalent to the north American call “go west young man, go west”. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Woken by heavy rain at 4.12 am, managed to get back to sleep for a while.

Raining again now, but it cleared for a while this morning, walked down to the neighbourhood pharmacy to buy some KN97 masks.

Thanks for all the daily reports, care and celebration lists, recipes, humour and photos of Valencia.

Am a big fan of Winnie the Pooh.

@Seasick Sailor wonderful Christmas surprise from Claudio. 

@JazzyVsorry to hear that the mother of your friend is in hospital with  both Shingles and Covid, hope she will soon improve.

@kazu hope that Marley's next results will be good news.  Thankfully you have such good neighbours.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Amazing! Two consecutive days I haven’t had to reboot, erase history or log back in to post or like a post. can I hear a AMEN!

Me either but fingers crossed and...........Shhhhh...............

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn and all contributors.

I used to use a thesaurus when writing papers in school; not much now. I've never read the Pooh books or seen Winnie the Pooh animated stories. I will salute gourmet coffee! I try to bring some home when I travel.

Good quote. The veggie bowl is not for me. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine.

I haven't been to Valencia. Thanks for the pictures.

It's flurrying here, but otherwise not too bad. The ice melt I put down on the walkways has kept them clear, plus it's supposed to be 40F tomorrow, before the deep freeze starts. I did have a few aches from the shoveling, but they are gone. My garage is on an alley, which has been untouched. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow for my blood work appointment. Maybe they'll be along to plow it today. My little town uses a pickup truck with a plow on the front and salt spreader on the back. 

The house is smelling great from the baking of sourdough bread loaves.

@kazu Prayers for Jose and you. Also praying for comfort in the loss of Miko. I'm glad Marley's infection is cleared, and hopefully the protein is gone.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is going to get out of ICU.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers for your DH's Mohs surgery on Thursday.

@mamaofami I hope you find a caring aide for Sam.

@Cruising-along Fingers crossed for DS and DDIL getting the house. I hope DD's cat will be ok.

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad to hear DS's family is recovered. I just found out that the mother of friend is hospitalized with Covid and Shingles! She's in her 80's, so I hope she'll be ok.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Oh dear Vanessa, so sorry about your friend's mother.  I hope she gets better quickly.

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My twin was telling me she got a 23andMe test from her son as a gift so she sent it off to find out from her DNA what our ancestry was.  It also told her she has an increased risk of getting age related macular degeneration.  Our Mom had that.

But we enjoyed discussing where our ancestors were from.  She is (and I assume I am)  French/German/Dutch (60.4%) with British and Irish added (33.6%) to total 94%.  The other 6% is Finnish, Scandinavian, Broadly Northwestern European, Eastern European, and Ashkenazi Jewish.  I find it all so fascinating.  

Anyone else here try doing this?

DH has macular degeneration and is on the vitamins/minerals prescribed by his doctor.  His niece has a severe form and at 45 has only tunnel vision. 

I gave both our kids a 23 and Me for Christmas one year because they are both adopted and I thought that might help them on their journey to find their history.  Our daughter did it right away but our son didn't and I don't think he ever did.  Maybe when they are older.

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

COVID test. gov.    Ships is UPS with tracking 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Tell your eye professional the next time you visit.

My mother was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration. and her ophthalmologist put her on an over the counter vitamin/mineral supplement.  That seemed to stabilized her eyes.  

When I mentioned to my optomitrist that my mother had been so diagnosed, she made a similar recommendation for me.  I've been taking them, two per day, for about 15 years now.  

It runs in DH's family so I agree about making sure your doctor is aware of the family history.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening all, I hope everyone had a good day.

I had to take one of my fur babies to the vet today, Houdini was very lethargic and didn’t want to eat , turns out he had 2 bad teeth and infection.   Our great vet did Emerengcy tooth removal and put him on meds. Just brought him home . It was an expensive day, but worth every penny ❤️

A30BB0D0-5897-4942-B144-30B70545FC61.jpeg

Ahh, what a cutie.  I hope he feels better soon.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

DS visited this afternoon (masked), and brought the hound34FF020E-59D5-4678-94A2-6166BF3DDEB7.thumb.jpeg.3c0e3ce6892bdf891824b466806afe71.jpeg - Oskar has been to the beauty parlour and is looking very handsome.  His colours are changing a bit, but it’s still hard to see his eyes.  

84348AA2-826A-424B-A093-975B159418A4.thumb.jpeg.53f72430d22ad3096149250e97421d2b.jpeg

He is a bundle of energy , and heads straight for his toy box behind the sofa.  

Oskar is so cute! 

• Like 15

Because I was adopted, and wanted to know where I was from, I did the Ancestry test, and found out I was 38% Scandinavian.  At first the test said Scandinavian, but the more people who do the test, the more they find out about you, and update you quarterly.  I did find out I had a half sister, and a nephew, but the half sister who was half sister of the nephews father, wanted nothing to do with us, and so as far as family that is as far as I got.  Since the first test, they have added 28% Scottish (from the outer islands) threw in some German ( I think this explains my urge to eat Bavarian food,)  and Dutch (enough Dutch to make me cheer on Max Verstappen),and a little itty bitty bit of Finnish/Russian, but not enough to brag about.  DH got me a 23andme which I have yet to do, but will while he is gone this week.  I read once that 23and me could date you back to Neanderthal, so that is why I wanted to use them.  I often thought I would have made a good caveman, except for the clothing options, and my fuzzy boots that i wear all the time.  I like things simple, fire, put meat on fire, eat meat.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8