This is What Encore is Like with 1,300 Passengers (1/16/22)

CarolinaMamma

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, I think it is quite relevant to question why a person would be expressing such an outrageous concern; especially in a feel good thread about a cruise ship with much fewer passengers.  That said, it's a free country/forum and I'll post whatever I want.  Just FYI.....

LOL It’s not an outrageous concern at all, and as I said in my post, I *am* looking forward to low crowds.  But just like I prefer to eat in a bustling but not packed restaurant, rather than one with only one or two occupied tables, being on a practically deserted ship might lose some of its fun.  That’s why I *asked* the question, not made a pronouncement.  

And JUST FYI, I never said you weren’t allowed to post irrelevant non-replies.  Just making sure you knew you weren’t obliged to.  You could just keep scrolling.  

• Like 3

Part of this seems like heaven to be on a cruise with low numbers of people.  The breakaway class ship would be great for being maskless at the bars/restaurants on the waterfront!    And pool time - yay!  We rarely have any pool time as it's too crowded for us so we try to get into Vibe.

On the other hand, we have met some great people while cruising so that we would miss that part.  I'm glad you had a good time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElizaSTN said:

LOL It’s not an outrageous concern at all, and as I said in my post, I *am* looking forward to low crowds.  But just like I prefer to eat in a bustling but not packed restaurant, rather than one with only one or two occupied tables, being on a practically deserted ship might lose some of its fun.  That’s why I *asked* the question, not made a pronouncement.  

And JUST FYI, I never said you weren’t allowed to post irrelevant non-replies.  Just making sure you knew you weren’t obliged to.  You could just keep scrolling.  

yes its a valid concern.  When we sailed on Royal Caribbean in June 2021, on one of the first sailings out of Bahamas, we sailed on the Adventure.  I think the Adventure sails with ~3500 pax normally.  We had only 1050, and yes it did feel empty at times.  Not so empty that I wouldn't sail like that again but it does feel a bit odd.  You could actually walk into some bars or venues and be the only one there.  But on the bright side people tended to get to know each other much more and therefore you made plans to meet people at certain bars.  So one bar would be full and the one next to it could be empty.  Alot of people that we sailed with, including ourselves, felt that having maybe another 300 or so passengers on board would have been ideal.

Edited by bstel
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, I think it is quite relevant to question why a person would be expressing such an outrageous concern; especially in a feel good thread about a cruise ship with much fewer passengers.  That said, it's a free country/forum and I'll post whatever I want.  Just FYI.....

I don't think her concern is outrageous. Some people are, and enjoy, friendly people and it is much easier to get a "crowd" to join in on festivities than it is 4 or 5 people.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, KurtMo said:

CarolinaMamma,

We'll also be in the Haven on Escape soon - if you have any thoughts on Haven food versus specialty, favorite items, etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Also would love a photo of Haven wine selections by glass if possible.  Have a great trip!

It has been a couple years since we last sailed NCL but it was Escape Haven.  One of the best trips ever on NCL.  We did Teppanyaki but left unused extra specialties in favor of Haven.

Partly because we would have to pay extra for kids but really due to good food and service in Haven vs prior trips with so so service at Cagneys.  YMMV.

If you're worried about a too-empty cruise then use your cruisecritic roll call. We're both introverts and don't mind quiet times just to ourselves, but before our cruise on Allure last October we were chatting with some others on our rollcall and arranged to meet. We had an absolute blast and it was a perfect balance. The ship wasn't very crowded and could feel very sparse at times, but we ended up socializing more than we ever have on any prior cruise!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are on board Encore and having a great time! There are only 1,300 passengers, and about 1,700 crew.  

no Kinky Boots this week, but we did have Choir of Man, the Beatles and comedy shows. Everything is just walk-in, no reservations required. The Beatles show did fill up, but I think other than that, it’s been pretty easy for anyone to see any show they wanted. 

We were supposed to have 1,500 passengers, and I’m not sure what happened to the other 200. I hear some had flight issues and are meeting us in St. Thomas today. I don’t know if the rest cancelled last-minute, tested positive, or what. 

Here is the pool deck at 9:00 on the first sea day. Plenty of loungers to be had. Let

me know if I can answer any questions. 608641DE-1DD8-4938-8E6E-331598725101.thumb.jpeg.84f56fcc8a05b685872fbd68d11fc66e.jpeg

How is the crowd on the Haven sundeck?    Is it easy to find loungers together or is it crowded with all of the upgrades to Haven that were awarded?  

16 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

We were on the Encore Dec 5-12, 2021 so I am reliving our cruise through you!  Great review so far and spot on.  The ship does not feel like a ghost town with less people. I thought it was great and hope they keep it that way permanently. No waiting/lines for anything.  We saw Choir of Man too. Best show ever!   We were disappointed in LeBistro and didn't get to the Italian restaurant.  The main dining room food was fine for us. That prime rib looks fabulous!

I'm not an accountant or anything like that but something tells me if NCL permanently keeps crowds down to a percentage of their actual capacity, they will not make any money. How can they be a viable company that way?

I don't like crowds either but looking at the OP's photos, it is very sad seeing those venues so empty. Sad indeed.

• Like 6

I am currently onboard Encore as well and completely agree with @CarolinaMamma. I think we are all so use to seeing masks that it hasn’t made the cruise feel restricted. As she said, it feels like you just wear a mask for short spurts of time. There is an overall sense of relief that we all made it on the ship! 🥰 
I am also in Haven, which is full. I’m kinda wondering where all the people are. Haven lounge is empty every time we are in there. Last night was the first time the Haven bar seemed busy but we were still able to get drinks quickly. Haven pool area, ghost town. I figure since the ship is less crowded maybe Haven guests are venturing out more. 
I have been to the Garden cafe once for lunch and it didn’t feel crowded. Comedy shows in the comedy club do fill up so we arrive early. 
I’m very happy we decided to cruise. A very unique experience. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I'm not an accountant or anything like that but something tells me if NCL permanently keeps crowds down to a percentage of their actual capacity, they will not make any money. How can they be a viable company that way?

I don't like crowds either but looking at the OP's photos, it is very sad seeing those venues so empty. Sad indeed.

I remember some topics on this site talking about this back when Covid hit.  The general consensus, based on cruise lines' public statements (FCC filings etc), is that these newer mega ships break even at about 35% capacity and older ships break even about 50%.  Hence why ships are getting bigger and adding upcharge amenities.  Also it has been well reported that guest spending during Covid is WAY up on a per cruiser basis, so the 35%/50% could actually be slightly lower.  

The second thing to consider, even if they are not making a profit, is that they are losing less, by sailing at reduced capacity.  Better to lose less by sailing, than sitting idle.  I am sure the fixed costs of a ship are quite large and a larger percent of their costs, since they pay lower wages to employees.

This is also just not an NCL thing, due to them having 100% vaccination.  All other cruise lines are sailing at similar capacities.  But I have also read that NCL is probably in the worse shape financially between Royal, Carnival, and NCL in terms of balance sheets.  But yes at some point there will be a reckoning in regards to liquidity and cash flow, if they can't get access to more loans.

Edited by bstel
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tiffany18 said:

I am currently onboard Encore as well and completely agree with @CarolinaMamma. I think we are all so use to seeing masks that it hasn’t made the cruise feel restricted. As she said, it feels like you just wear a mask for short spurts of time. There is an overall sense of relief that we all made it on the ship! 🥰 
I am also in Haven, which is full. I’m kinda wondering where all the people are. Haven lounge is empty every time we are in there. Last night was the first time the Haven bar seemed busy but we were still able to get drinks quickly. Haven pool area, ghost town. I figure since the ship is less crowded maybe Haven guests are venturing out more. 
I have been to the Garden cafe once for lunch and it didn’t feel crowded. Comedy shows in the comedy club do fill up so we arrive early. 
I’m very happy we decided to cruise. A very unique experience. 

Even at maximum capacity the Haven is only a small percentage of the passenger count, so they can probably afford to 'overbuild' some of the areas without having much of an effect on the general public spaces.

19 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are in the Haven so I haven’t eaten in the MDR yet. All specialty restaurants are open. Had dinner at Cagney’s the first night. Food and service excellent. I had the prime rib, and it was “like buttah,” so tender. 

I didn’t buy a Wu-if package because I cruise to get away from internet. In St. Thomas, you have regular cell service like you would in the US, so that’s how im

posting now. 

A5F30C56-CD78-40C0-95A9-6A4D8D064ABA.thumb.jpeg.3ad45be8a97e40e03f71536e9c355655.jpeg

Yeah...I'd say that steak looks MIGHTY good.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ElizaSTN said:

Yes, really.  If you have nothing of relevance to say, you are under no obligation to post a response, just FYI.  

First few days was bliss then I did start to feel it was a bit too empty . But ill take it every time               ( Encore 9-16)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bstel said:

I remember some topics on this site talking about this back when Covid hit.  The general consensus, based on cruise lines' public statements (FCC filings etc), is that these newer mega ships break even at about 35% capacity and older ships break even about 50%.  Hence why ships are getting bigger and adding upcharge amenities.  Also it has been well reported that guest spending during Covid is WAY up on a per cruiser basis, so the 35%/50% could actually be slightly lower.  

The second thing to consider, even if they are not making a profit, is that they are losing less, by sailing at reduced capacity.  Better to lose less by sailing, than sitting idle.  I am sure the fixed costs of a ship are quite large and a larger percent of their costs, since they pay lower wages to employees.

This is also just not an NCL thing, due to them having 100% vaccination.  All other cruise lines are sailing at similar capacities.  But I have also read that NCL is probably in the worse shape financially between Royal, Carnival, and NCL in terms of balance sheets.  But yes at some point there will be a reckoning in regards to liquidity and cash flow, if they can't get access to more loans.

I surely hope you are correct about the "break even" point passenger percentages. I don't want to see any cruiseline fail.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bbnmom said:

I don't think her concern is outrageous. Some people are, and enjoy, friendly people and it is much easier to get a "crowd" to join in on festivities than it is 4 or 5 people.

This has now become the most bizarre discussion I've ever witnessed on CC.  So you folks don't want a crowded ship, but you also don't want a less crowded ship.  It really just sounds like you want an excuse to complain regardless of the number of passengers on the ship.  Is that is?  You just aren't happy unless you have something to complain about?  Yeah, I've met your kind.  Hopefully you won't be among the crowd (or non crowd) on my next sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:01 PM, coffeebean said:

I surely hope you are correct about the "break even" point passenger percentages. I don't want to see any cruiseline fail.

I'm with you. Times are tough for everyone right now, personally and for businesses as well. The sanity I'm losing during this period in time is only going to be saved by cruising, so I have a personal interest in cruise lines making it through this without too much damage on top of the fact that I don't want to see any business fail.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:28 AM, vacation44 said:

How is the crowd on the Haven sundeck?    Is it easy to find loungers together or is it crowded with all of the upgrades to Haven that were awarded?  

You could always find a lounger on the sun deck. On the sea days, it was popular and you may not get the exact location you want, but there was always room.  (This is a port day.)791932A3-3F00-43DA-8E7D-3C6E6A411C60.thumb.jpeg.94fc3fad1998137196e13d26efd1c4b7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, ElizaSTN said:

Does it feel *too* empty?  We’re looking forward to low crowds but I’m starting to get nervous it’s going to feel like a ghost town.  

I think it depends. We all enjoy different things about cruising. I’m kind of a quiet person who doesn’t like having to “compete”  to find a space to sit or wait in lines, so this was a great cruise for me. We still managed to meet people in the bars and have some good conversations. If you are a super extroverted person who likes the crowded, loud parties, then it might feel a little sad. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, KurtMo said:

CarolinaMamma,

We'll also be in the Haven on Escape soon - if you have any thoughts on Haven food versus specialty, favorite items, etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Also would love a photo of Haven wine selections by glass if possible.  Have a great trip!

I liked the Hagen food, but in hindsight I wish I had bought more specialty dining, just for a change of atmosphere and some variety. Cagney’s and Onda were both good. Q was just so-so.  I’ve enjoyed OceannBlue and Le Bistro on other ships, so you may want to give those a try. 

I have wine list pics. On our sailing, they were out of a LOT of wines. There was one night where I struck out on four different whites by the glass before finding one they had. Same with a lot of the medium and fuller intensity reds. I don’t know if it’s supply chain issues or cost cutting measures, but be prepared to be flexible.C316FC69-F47D-4FA5-BC33-03BC94AAA8AA.thumb.jpeg.149e3e7ecd652dce9652d4da80ee9550.jpegEFFB33FE-376E-45F0-B517-1B4FEE228C4A.thumb.jpeg.dc65c5d03e3790e693ad4179f35f56c2.jpegB6A9E78B-D39F-40C0-A181-A3AFC56960CB.thumb.jpeg.4d9be48703afcb4c36c65b59e2663ed8.jpeg32328A75-DF25-42B0-B8AA-FA9B65E80A80.thumb.jpeg.07a4da68ae5a083e75c6de8947b892d4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:19 PM, Sand and Seas said:

Thanks for posting!  These pictures tell the story🌞

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.  We plan to be on her in about 80 days

Are you doing the Panama Canal cruise from Miami?