This is What Encore is Like with 1,300 Passengers (1/16/22)

CarolinaMamma

We are on board Encore and having a great time! There are only 1,300 passengers, and about 1,700 crew.  

no Kinky Boots this week, but we did have Choir of Man, the Beatles and comedy shows. Everything is just walk-in, no reservations required. The Beatles show did fill up, but I think other than that, it’s been pretty easy for anyone to see any show they wanted. 

We were supposed to have 1,500 passengers, and I’m not sure what happened to the other 200. I hear some had flight issues and are meeting us in St. Thomas today. I don’t know if the rest cancelled last-minute, tested positive, or what. 

Here is the pool deck at 9:00 on the first sea day. Plenty of loungers to be had. Let

me know if I can answer any questions. 608641DE-1DD8-4938-8E6E-331598725101.thumb.jpeg.84f56fcc8a05b685872fbd68d11fc66e.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting, we are due on a week Sunday. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. Omicron numbers are dropping like a stone here in the uk. Really excited, hope it gets busier for Norwegian’s sake but will be nice to not have to queue etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SueBabe said:

Are they strict about wearing masks inside?

Crew are 100% wearing masks. Most passengers are wearing them when not eating or drinking, which obviously leaves a pretty big loophole. I haven’t noticed staff policing anyone, because I think most people are complying, I really wanted a maskless cruise, but I’ve spent so much time out on deck, or eating or drinking while inside, that I feel

like I’m really only wearing the mask for a few minutes here and there, while walking from one place to the other. It’s just not a big deal and not detracting from my vacation at all, but I understand not everyone feels that way. There’s also plenty of room for social distancing, so anyone who is not comfortable around unmasked people sipping a cocktail can just move away.  Everybody seems pretty chill about it and just happy to be here. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm so happy you are enjoying the Encore!  We were on her the 1st week of January, with approximately 1700 pax.  And other than missing St. Thomas, Tortola and GSC, it was one of our favorite cruises!

I hope you enjoy St. Thomas today!

• Like 2

I'll join the Cruise Critic community in sharing our happiness that you are on-board and having a great time.  The weeks heading into this cruise were stressful. 

Have a blast, you deserve it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are on board Encore and having a great time! There are only 1,300 passengers, and about 1,700 crew.  

no Kinky Boots this week, but we did have Choir of Man, the Beatles and comedy shows. Everything is just walk-in, no reservations required. The Beatles show did fill up, but I think other than that, it’s been pretty easy for anyone to see any show they wanted. 

We were supposed to have 1,500 passengers, and I’m not sure what happened to the other 200. I hear some had flight issues and are meeting us in St. Thomas today. I don’t know if the rest cancelled last-minute, tested positive, or what. 

Here is the pool deck at 9:00 on the first sea day. Plenty of loungers to be had. Let

me know if I can answer any questions. 

I am so happy for you and a tad jealous! Our 1/5 Getaway cruise was cancelled at the last minute and what you're experiencing is exactly what I was hoping to have....a big ship practically to ourselves.

Enjoy it!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Here is Starbucks the first morning,  hace not had more than one person in front of me the whole cruise. D3F6211A-6B29-4CCC-B23A-30AA1C1A16F3.thumb.jpeg.3a9e00722ebc495f6bf691ec9c88b62a.jpeg

Enjoy that uncrowded ship.

you might look back fondly on this cruise as "good ole times with less crowds"

Just sorry you did not get to see Kinky Boots.

• Like 3

Very nice post with the photo telling it all.  More chairs than hogs to worry about, what a change - enjoy. 

How are the MDR and specialty dining ... do take photos & share it here, as you wish.  Assuming that you are posting over ship's satellite WiFi on CC - can you do that successfully without needing to log into your account, difference in speed and/or lag time ?

1 hour ago, TominNC said:

I think I read your cruise made St. Thomas?  So how close to the original intinerary are you?

We missed GSC Monday because of weather, which I think happens a lot. Skipping GSC meant we arrived in St. Thomas a few hours early, so we had a nice, long day here, and the weather was perfect. We are headed to Tortola tomorrow and Puerta Plata on Friday. No word of any changes. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Very nice post with the photo telling it all.  More chairs than hogs to worry about, what a change - enjoy. 

How are the MDR and specialty dining ... do take photos & share it here, as you wish.  Assuming that you are posting over ship's satellite WiFi on CC - can you do that successfully without needing to log into your account, difference in speed and/or lag time ?

We are in the Haven so I haven’t eaten in the MDR yet. All specialty restaurants are open. Had dinner at Cagney’s the first night. Food and service excellent. I had the prime rib, and it was “like buttah,” so tender. 

I didn’t buy a Wu-if package because I cruise to get away from internet. In St. Thomas, you have regular cell service like you would in the US, so that’s how im

posting now. 

A5F30C56-CD78-40C0-95A9-6A4D8D064ABA.thumb.jpeg.3ad45be8a97e40e03f71536e9c355655.jpeg

Edited by CarolinaMamma
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Encore Dec 5-12, 2021 so I am reliving our cruise through you!  Great review so far and spot on.  The ship does not feel like a ghost town with less people. I thought it was great and hope they keep it that way permanently. No waiting/lines for anything.  We saw Choir of Man too. Best show ever!   We were disappointed in LeBistro and didn't get to the Italian restaurant.  The main dining room food was fine for us. That prime rib looks fabulous!

1 hour ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are in the Haven so I haven’t eaten in the MDR yet. All specialty restaurants are open. Had dinner at Cagney’s the first night. Food and service excellent.

CarolinaMamma,

We'll also be in the Haven on Escape soon - if you have any thoughts on Haven food versus specialty, favorite items, etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Also would love a photo of Haven wine selections by glass if possible.  Have a great trip!

34 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

Yes, really.  If you have nothing of relevance to say, you are under no obligation to post a response, just FYI.  

Well, I think it is quite relevant to question why a person would be expressing such an outrageous concern; especially in a feel good thread about a cruise ship with much fewer passengers.  That said, it's a free country/forum and I'll post whatever I want.  Just FYI.....