Eating options on embarkation day

babygrljaz

What time do they start serving lunch on embarkation day? Or what is open at early embarkation? We usually don't board until after 1 but this time we decided to try early. Just wondering if we should get breakfast on the way or just wait til we're onboard. 

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

You can technically board at 10 am at the earliest, provided that they are not still disembarking the prior cruise. 

Check-in may start at 10:00am and then you will board when they call your boarding group. I doubt if any ship is ever boarding at 10:00am.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mondello said:

Check-in may start at 10:00am and then you will board when they call your boarding group. I doubt if any ship is ever boarding at 10:00am.

I am chronically late and have never checked in on time, lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

Mardi Gras

1. lido

2. guys

3. big chicken

not much for vegetarians. 

Guys P&A too, IIRC, on MG, as well as Guy's Burgers.  (Assuming that's what you meant by "Guys".)

The Lido has the usual selections of buffet offerings, which I would have thought included vegetarian options?

Just out of curiosity, which other eating places on board have a good selection of vegetarian options?

I honestly don't know, I'm not a vegetarian, so it's not on my radar.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, mondello said:

Me too! I'm always in the 12:00-1:30 crush. I want every minute of the hotel I paid for.

We're just the opposite.  We paid a lot more for the cruise than we did the hotel.  The ship has a whole lot more to offer than the hotels do.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We're just the opposite.  We paid a lot more for the cruise than we did the hotel.  The ship has a whole lot more to offer than the hotels do.

This is the way we look at it as well. If I could be the first to board I would.

• Like 1

Our favorite places to eat after boarding are the pasta bar and Jiji's Asian/Mongolian Wok, both on deck 11 on Vista. Go to the back of the Lido deck, either walk up the stairs or take the elevator there. Pasta on one side of the hall, Asian on the other. Prefer the Asian. Whichever you chose you fill out your choices on a form they give you, stating pasta/noodle, chicken, beef or pork - or all three - all the veggies and the sauce. You wait at your table and they will serve you your food and choice of water, tea, or lemonade, or drink from the bar. So much better than the madness in the Lido buffet or waiting in line at Blue Iguana, Deli, or Guy's Burgers. Try them on other days. Our last cruise we had lunch every day at the Mongolian Wok.

• Like 2

Oh lol, we have NO idea what ship the OP is cruising on.  While it might be Mardi Gras or a Vista-class, it could be something much smaller.   

We also have NO idea if the OP is vegetarian or not; certainly THEY never mentioned it.  

So, the OP will definitely have the options of the Lido buffet -- which actually DOES have a good salad bar, for those who DO want a vegetarian meal.  On some ships Mongolian Wok is embedded as part of the lunch on Lido, and it's a great choice for early embark because the line will still be short.

OP should definitely have the option of Guy's Burger Joint since it is now available on all U.S.-based ships, and also the Blue Iguana, and the Deli (except on the Mardi Gras).  

Ships so equipped will have Guy's Smokehouse and/or Brewhouse open on embark day.  I really like this, too.  (Our hypothetical vegetarian won't, though. 🙂 )  

niktx49's post below is valid on all ships so equipped, EXCEPT for Mardi Gras, where for some reason the Cucina and Chibang (Asian/Mexican) are NOT open on embark day.  Believe me, we made a beeline for the Cucina and were brutally disappointed. 😞  

On the Vista we thought we were the kings of the world enjoying our fresh pasta or stir-fry bowls just up the stairway from the madding crowds on the Lido Deck.  I almost wanted to go play Pied Piper and start bringing people upstairs to the Cucina or Jiji's.  😄  

10 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

Our favorite places to eat after boarding are the pasta bar and Jiji's Asian/Mongolian Wok, both on deck 11 on Vista. Go to the back of the Lido deck, either walk up the stairs or take the elevator there. Pasta on one side of the hall, Asian on the other. Prefer the Asian. Whichever you chose you fill out your choices on a form they give you, stating pasta/noodle, chicken, beef or pork - or all three - all the veggies and the sauce. You wait at your table and they will serve you your food and choice of water, tea, or lemonade, or drink from the bar. So much better than the madness in the Lido buffet or waiting in line at Blue Iguana, Deli, or Guy's Burgers. Try them on other days. Our last cruise we had lunch every day at the Mongolian Wok.

Yep!  Can't wait until our next chance, on Horizon in October!