Booking on board

watsonbeau

Seem to remember FCDs no longer available to purchase onboard ? Are there any advantages in booking onboard  ?  Have previously always got FCDs as needed to check dates with work before booking anything.

just wondering as we are booked for this June and not sure if better to book a 2023 when they are on sale 1 Feb or wait until we are on our QE cruise? 

thank you

I have asked on this trip (18 Jan), and no FCD available now. Was told it had been planned to be phased out, even before the pandemic.

However, if you book onboard you receive the same OBC as the ex FCD.

While on board, we usually make an open deposit.  This gives us some OBC, amount varies according the the length of the cruise.  Then we use the deposit when we make an actual booking through our TA.

26 minutes ago, tv24 said:

While on board, we usually make an open deposit.

You still have that luxury as you're in the States. I believe the ability to make an open Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) was discontinued for everyone else. Having heard here that open Future Cruise Deposits had been discontinued, believe me, I was very surprised that we could, in fact, buy a few when we were onboard in December. We bought those, then a day later, while still on board, placed a reservation on a voyage using one of the Future Cruise Deposits. We discovered that we could compound the benefits: we received the benefits of booking onboard, and in addition, (if I understood Dragona correctly)  received the benefits of having redeemed one of the open deposits.

Edited by frankp01

After weeks of discussion with Cunard's executive office in UK regarding selling of FCD to a US cruiser on QM2 in December having been personally refused on QE in August and November they have told me that the FCDs on QM2 should not have been sold and they are temporarily discontinued for everybody on all ships i.e QM2/QE and it doesnt matter what nationality you are.

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

If FCD's are not available on our July cruise , I will just book a Phantom Future Cruise , then cancel and rebook the Future Cruise that I wish, when ready.

Problem with that, unless another concession that US cruisers get that UK cruisers  dont, is the OBC that you are given for booking onboard is non transferable so if you change your initial booking with later one there would be no problem but you would lose OBC. We ended up booking a cruise onboard QE last November for the current cruise on QE 18th January and were given $600 OBc for balcony cabin but when we cancelled this and had free transfer to a cruise on QE in March we lost the $600 as we were told it was non transferable.

15 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Does anyone know the amount of onboard credit currently being offered for onboard bookings?

Thinking of making a booking post February 1st but wondering if it os worth waiting til Im onboard in August to make the booking? 

Cunard Cruise Line - Per FCD - Think maximum is 2 pax (FCD) per stateroom 

Cruise LengthOnboard Spend

6-9 nights Grill Accommodation$200 USD

6-9 nights Balcony Accommodation$150 USD

6-9 nights Inside/ Outside Accommodation$100 USD

10 nights or more Grill Accommodation$400 USD

10 nights or more Balcony Accommodation$300 USD

10 nights or more Inside/Outside Accommodation$200 USD

Edited by PORT ROYAL

43 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Does anyone know the amount of onboard credit currently being offered for onboard bookings?

Thinking of making a booking post February 1st but wondering if it os worth waiting til Im onboard in August to make the booking? 

The problem with that is the price of the cruise will more than likely increase by August so negate the extra OBC and depending on the cruise you might not get stateroom you prefer. If it was me I would book in February.

21 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Cunard Cruise Line - Per FCD - Think maximum is 2 pax (FCD) per stateroom 

Cruise LengthOnboard Spend

6-9 nights Grill Accommodation$200 USD

6-9 nights Balcony Accommodation$150 USD

6-9 nights Inside/ Outside Accommodation$100 USD

10 nights or more Grill Accommodation$400 USD

10 nights or more Balcony Accommodation$300 USD

10 nights or more Inside/Outside Accommodation$200 USD

For the avoidance of doubt, I take it this is additional OBC on top of that if booking direct with Cunard in Southampton?

Also, is the deposit 15% if booking on-board?

18 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I take it this is additional OBC on top of that if booking direct with Cunard in Southampton?

Also, is the deposit 15% if booking on-board?

As It appears FCDs are being phased out.  
One only receives additional OBC per person (as above) when booked onboard taking Cunard and Early Saver Fares, not Saver Fares.  The booking bonus on Cunard Fares remains unaffected.  Deposits are usually 15%, but sometimes there are offers of reduced deposits.

Additional OBC, as above, is not available when booking direct with Cunard Southampton, only if one holds FCDs.  
It is noted from various threads that some travel agents will give 5% discount if a Cunard booking is transferred to them, when booked with Cunard either on land or onboard.