FLL to Port Everglades

RCCL Fan

I'll be cross posting in the  FLL ports page...  

I always fly in a day early so never usually have to get from the airport to the pier, but I will likely have to this time.

We're flying into Miami several days early, renting a car, going to the keys,  etc.

I plan to drive us FLL morning of the cruise, drop off the car and head to the ship.

Uber is the obvious option, but with my family of four, we waited a long time for a large SUV on our last trip from the port to the airport. 

Back in the day Hertz used to shuttle you to the pier but I don't think they do that any more.   Any other shuttle bus suggestions to get there?  It's usually much easier to handle luggage that way. 

4 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I always fly in a day early so never usually have to get from the airport to the pier, but I will likely have to this time.

We're flying into Miami several days early, renting a car, going to the keys,  etc.

I plan to drive us FLL morning of the cruise, drop off the car and head to the ship.

Uber is the obvious option, but with my family of four, we waited a long time for a large SUV on our last trip from the port to the airport. 

Back in the day Hertz used to shuttle you to the pier but I don't think they do that any more.   Any other shuttle bus suggestions to get there?  It's usually much easier to handle luggage that way. 

I would ask Hertz? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

32 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

We were obviously extremely lucky as we only waited about five minutes for a large SUV

5 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

can you drop off your family at the port first, then return your car to Hertz and take a regular small uber/lyft? or see if Hertz has a shuttle.

I thought about this but didn't want to have them just sitting there.   didn't know if we could check in separately.

Not sure why you are dropping off at FLL.

Hertz & Alamo have locations right next to the port.  Both have shuttles.

But if you have to take it to FLL, drop everyone else off with the luggage at the port first.  Just have them wait outside.

Then return the vehicle and return to port by yourself.

That is the easiest way.  We have done that a few times.

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Not sure why you are dropping off at FLL.

Hertz & Alamo have locations right next to the port.  Both have shuttles.

ditto this - change your drop to Hertz Port Everglades so you are closer and can use their shuttle (maybe call to check if shuttle is running?)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

ditto this - change your drop to Hertz Port Everglades so you are closer and can use their shuttle (maybe call to check if shuttle is running?)

I am sure the shuttles are running.

The 2 rental car locations are close enough to walk to the ship.

But I have been told by the people at Alamo that they will not let you walk into the port area.

I have the same issue in Miami in March.

I will drop off the family and return the car.

Then jog back to the port.

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

I am sure the shuttles are running.

The 2 rental car locations are close enough to walk to the ship.

But I have been told by the people at Alamo that they will not let you walk into the port area.

I have the same issue in Miami in March.

I will drop off the family and return the car.

Then jog back to the port.

Our last cruise there was a man trying to walk into the port area while we were at the security gate. He showed them his ID card and they didn't care.  🙂

16 hours ago, flamingos said:

Our last cruise there was a man trying to walk into the port area while we were at the security gate. He showed them his ID card and they didn't care.  🙂

What exactly are you saying.  He had id and they wouldn’t let him in, or that he had ID and they didn’t care and just let him in?  I know when we sailed out of Port Everglades last month.  We had to show our passports in order for our Uber Driver to take us to the ship.  

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

What exactly are you saying.  He had id and they wouldn’t let him in, or that he had ID and they didn’t care and just let him in?  I know when we sailed out of Port Everglades last month.  We had to show our passports in order for our Uber Driver to take us to the ship.  

He had ID, and they would not let him in on foot.  We had to show our passports and Set Sail pass to get in the gate in our car.

Drop the luggage first.   Last I checked Hertz had a shuttle, but you’d need to drop the car at the location near the port.  If you drop at the airport, I’d just grab a taxi.  

If you are in multiple staterooms, drop the others off and let them go onboard.  

Schedule your Uber XL pick up time for terminal 1 at FLL (it’s the terminal connected to the rental car facility). By scheduling this in advance you eliminate the longer wait time. Just make sure at the pickup location on time. It’s a 10 minute trek from the rental return.