Celebrity Vaccine Policy- Do vaccines expire?

VitaminSea53

27 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Looks like you will be ok for summer 2022 if you are travelling to Italy,  They have confirmed that boosters will have unlimited validity. 

https://apple.news/AUf5q7ePyRcStk_j5bsfe9A

R

AWESOME news, thanks for sharing.  My husband and I have plans all booked and fully refundable (tentative?) to spend our delayed honeymoon in Italy, June 15 - July 15, fingers double crossed!  

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2

Yes, a wonderful bit of news in the otherwise complex set of rules we have to master.  Just moved our Iceland cruise out of Amsterdam to the one out of Southampton.  Hopefully Great Britain stays more relaxed.  AND the US drops its 24 test for entry rule.  Boy, that first drink on Silhouette in June will be a long one!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roxydog15 said:

Yes, a wonderful bit of news in the otherwise complex set of rules we have to master.  Just moved our Iceland cruise out of Amsterdam to the one out of Southampton.  Hopefully Great Britain stays more relaxed.  AND the US drops its 24 test for entry rule.  Boy, that first drink on Silhouette in June will be a long one!

I don't understand the 24 test rule for re-entry to US?  I am booked at a resort in Playa del Carmen, MX for 11 days.  Re-entry back to US requires a test, the hotel provides, 2-3 days prior to departure, that's it.  

This is from the CDC.gov site.  I sure hope they change it.  It says ALL air passengers.  Sounds like that includes US Citizens also.

COVID-19 Testing Requirement for International Travel to the United States

CDC amended its October 25, 2021 Order, titled, “Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States.” This amendment updates COVID-19 testing requirements for air passengers 2 years or older boarding a flight to the United States.

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

• Air passengers will also be required to confirm in the form of an attestation that the information they present is true.

2 minutes ago, Roxydog15 said:

I surely wish someone can find something that says this actually does not apply to US Citizens, but it seems to include us in these instructions.  

All means all. Yes, fully vaxxed and boosted American citizens flying home to our own country from abroad must still be tested (and risk having to isolate in a foreign country, arranged at the very last minute and for an unknown number of days), although anyone can fly anywhere in our huge country without being tested or vaxxed. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

OP Here - So what I gather is that no one has heard that Celebrity Cruises will be applying an “expiration” date on Vaccines/ boosters.  Right?

It will be interesting how they will handle cruises in Europe given the varying requirements to be considered fully vaccinated in the countries visited.

TeeRick gave you the answer.  In the US if you are fully vaccinated, you are vaccinated.  Obviously you will need to meet the requirements of a country to visit and those requirements are changing often.  

Celebrity is subject to the rules of countries where it sails.  Passengers certainly would be required to meet to requirements of each country they will visit.  I can see this making cruising problematic for many people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

All means all. Yes, fully vaxxed and boosted American citizens flying home to our own country from abroad must still be tested (and risk having to isolate in a foreign country, arranged at the very last minute and for an unknown number of days), although anyone can fly anywhere in our huge country without being tested or vaxxed. 

Frustrating indeed.  Worst case my husband OR I test positive before flying home from Europe.  I say one leaves the other behind because if not, then there is a chance the other will pop positive within that 10 day quarantine causing another round of quarantine.  I am hoping they drop this rule within the next few months!!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mimbecky said:

Frustrating indeed.  Worst case my husband OR I test positive before flying home from Europe.  I say one leaves the other behind because if not, then there is a chance the other will pop positive within that 10 day quarantine causing another round of quarantine.  I am hoping they drop this rule within the next few months!!

Interesting food for thought.  If "only" one of us tested positive, I couldn't imagine leaving my wife alone in another country, nor she me, under such circumstances; if nothing else, the other person would be hugely helpful in being an advocate if necessary, and in getting food and any other required assistance.  Of course, this would take getting TWO hotel rooms at the last minute, or whatever else might be involved in staying.   

As for the CDC dropping this rule, please folks, if you feel the same way, contact them and ask them to do so.  Tweet at them, use other social media, etc.  I've been doing that.  You could point out that NO test is needed for ANYONE to fly domestically anywhere in the U.S., a huge country, nor does anyone need to be vaxxed to do so. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Interesting food for thought.  If "only" one of us tested positive, I couldn't imagine leaving my wife alone in another country, nor she me, under such circumstances; if nothing else, the other person would be hugely helpful in being an advocate if necessary, and in getting food and any other required assistance.  Of course, this would take getting TWO hotel rooms at the last minute, or whatever else might be involved in staying.   

As for the CDC dropping this rule, please folks, if you feel the same way, contact them and ask them to do so.  Tweet at them, use other social media, etc.  I've been doing that.  You could point out that NO test is needed for ANYONE to fly domestically anywhere in the U.S., a huge country, nor does anyone need to be vaxxed to do so. 

In the USA, EU and UK,  we will likely see travel restrictions ease up over the next couple of months as Omicron is in rapid decline.  What is in effect today might not be in effect next week or next month.  The situation is very much in a constant state of change.  We just need to keep track of what each country requires that we plan to visit (flights and cruises).  And then be Up To Date on our vaccine doses and testing before our trips.  Not much more we can do honestly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In the USA, EU and UK,  we will likely see travel restrictions ease up over the next couple of months as Omicron is in rapid decline.  What is in effect today might not be in effect next week or next month.  The situation is very much in a constant state of change.  We just need to keep track of what each country requires that we plan to visit (flights and cruises).  And then be Up To Date on our vaccine doses and testing before our trips.  Not much more we can do honestly.

Thanks.  I totally agree that we need to keep track of all relevant requirements and have been doing so.  As for travel restrictions easing up in the U.S. over the next couple of months, we pretty much have no travel restrictions domestically.  Will we soon get rid of the prohibition on fully vaxxed Americans flying home to our own country from abroad unless we test negative the day before?  I don't want to get into political commentary about the likelihood of that, per CC's rules.  🙂    But I disagree there's nothing much more we can do.  We can express our feelings about this to those who have implemented that prohibition. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks.  I totally agree that we need to keep track of all relevant requirements and have been doing so.  As for travel restrictions easing up in the U.S. over the next couple of months, we pretty much have no travel restrictions domestically.  Will we soon get rid of the prohibition on fully vaxxed Americans flying home to our own country from abroad unless we test negative the day before?  I don't want to get into political commentary about the likelihood of that, per CC's rules.  🙂    But I disagree there's nothing much more we can do.  We can express our feelings about this to those who have implemented that prohibition. 🙂

Yes of course we are free to express our feelings on issues in the USA to CDC, Congress, etc.  And a lot of folks do.  But change is a long process.  Just think about how many of us wrote, called and contacted the CDC on their Conditional Sailing Order (CSO).  It took from March 2020 to July 2021 to get cruising going from US ports and until Jan 2022 to wait for it to expire.   I am just saying for our personal travel right now on a daily basis, we can just keep track of the current rules and restrictions and be up to date as possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those with cruises into or out of out of Barcelona, and of course with the proviso that the only constant is change, here's the new rules for Spain.  Note the bits in red.  Nothing said yet that these rules do not apply to cruise ships (e.g., for an eastbound TA), but we are prepared to hear otherwise since cruise ships sometimes operate with different protocols than do flights:

‐‐----------------

Effective February 1, 2022, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain on non-essential travel (such as tourism) if they show proof that they are fully vaccinated and have received the last required dose of their COVID-19 vaccine no less than 14 days, and no more than 270 days (9 months)prior to arrival in Spain. If more than 270 days (9 months) have passed since receiving the last required dose of their COVID-19 vaccine, U.S. citizens must show proof of having received a booster shot at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain.  Please read the detailed information on the Spain Ministry of Health’s websiteAdditionally, U.S. citizens traveling from the United States to Spain must present upon arrival in Spain a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the “SpTH app” in Google Play Store or iTunes App Store for each traveler, regardless of their age.  This applies to U.S. citizens travelling to Spain from the United States, including if they transit through a third country.

U.S. citizens who are travelling to Spain from a country that is not the United States should make sure they follow the guidance published by Spanish authorities on their local  Spain Embassy website.

Note that the Spanish site linked above reads as follows, complicating making port if arriving by ship.  Gonna need an X internet package!

"And remember, you will only be able to answer the health questions, and complete the form, when there are 48 hours (2 days) left before your arrival in Spain."

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

This is why I'm not getting any more shots until a month before I travel. Who knows what they will require. And I have recently had covid so at this point, my future shots are really just for travel.

I had a visit with my Primary Care Doctor last week. I have a Pre-existing condition so my doctor did two covid related blood tests to see how my antibodies are and to see if I ever contracted covid (Boosted back in August, never had Covid). I received my test results yesterday and the antibody level from the vaccines are high enough that don't need a 2nd booster shot. More shocking was that I had the antibodies that meant I HAVE HAD Covid at some point, probably Asymptomatic ( The antibodies generated from the Vaccines vs having Covid are different). I'll be on a B2B2B European Cruises in May/June so it appears my Doctor doesn't feel the need that I will need a booster, which the tests results imply. I would encourage anyone that plans extensive travel in Europe and have concerns about Covid should contact their Primary Care Physician, relay those concerns, and see if they recommend a Covid antibody test to confirm your immune response to this virus. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with everyone that says that it's up to you as a traveller to know what's needed in the countries you visit.  I'm sure guidance will be provided by Celebrity closer to your sail date, but yes, France and Italy specifically are set to 'expire' your vaccination after a certain amount of time.  For those who don't have boosters, suggest you look at getting one within 3-4 weeks of your sail date.

For those who do have boosters (like me, got mine at end of January), I think we'll have to see what the world looks like by the time we cruise (mine is in October).  Guaranteed if North America is 'strongly recommending' #4 by then, Europe will probably require it.

Moral of the story is, if you're eligible for an optional 'booster' by the time you cruise and you don't already have it, just go ahead and get it anyway if you're coming close to your sail date because it's going to need to be at least 2 weeks prior.  The rules could change within those last few weeks and you dont' want to wait too long.

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I had a visit with my Primary Care Doctor last week. I have a Pre-existing condition so my doctor did two covid related blood tests to see how my antibodies are and to see if I ever contracted covid (Boosted back in August, never had Covid). I received my test results yesterday and the antibody level from the vaccines are high enough that don't need a 2nd booster shot. More shocking was that I had the antibodies that meant I HAVE HAD Covid at some point, probably Asymptomatic ( The antibodies generated from the Vaccines vs having Covid are different). I'll be on a B2B2B European Cruises in May/June so it appears my Doctor doesn't feel the need that I will need a booster, which the tests results imply. I would encourage anyone that plans extensive travel in Europe and have concerns about Covid should contact their Primary Care Physician, relay those concerns, and see if they recommend a Covid antibody test to confirm your immune response to this virus. 

I also concur, as I have an MDVIP doctor who adds the addition of T and B cells to your profile, though not easy to test.  I have a b2b/TA, in and back to the states.  Yes, it is my responsibility for requirements, but CWC is over 9/30 and I leave on 10/12 for Civi.  Lots to think about and to have a plan B over in Europe.

Covid insurance only pays if you are quite ill and a doctor is involved with your recovery/hospitalization etc.  I actually thought that this insurance would cover having to be in a hotel for 5 or so nights, but it does not on any of the policies I was considering.  So, why add the exra insurance premium if you're healthy?  I work in school and wear a mask everyday, along with my vaccinations and booster.  

Edited by Lastdance

For those with cruises starting in October of this year, keep in mind that the “Cruise with Confidence” guarantee does not apply (expires with cruises starting on Sept 30)….unless Celebrity changes the applicable dates.  With final payment in June, you will be out of luck if COVID takes a turn for the worst.  

On 2/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

If I had my 2nd dose of Pfizer Covid vaccine in Mar 2021, is that still good for a cruise in June 2022?  (15 months after last dose) I can’t find any reference to an expiration time frame for vaccines.

Probably a better question for your healthcare provider.

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

Probably a better question for your healthcare provider.

I am not worried about my health but am concerned about the ‘rules’ from Celebrity.  Now that I see several European countries requiring that the vaccine be administered within 4 or 7 or 9 months prior to entry, I wondered if Celebrity will do the same.  I got my vaccine and 2nd shot and booster early on so it will be more than 9 months after my booster that I plan to cruise.  Since the cruise is in October, I am not covered by the Cruise with Confidence guarantee.  I am reluctant to make final payment as it stands now.  

23 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

For those with cruises starting in October of this year, keep in mind that the “Cruise with Confidence” guarantee does not apply (expires with cruises starting on Sept 30)….unless Celebrity changes the applicable dates.  With final payment in June, you will be out of luck if COVID takes a turn for the worst.  

I would guess that if COVID takes another turn for the worst, they would extend the CWC guarantee.  Anyway you have until June to decide and furthermore based on over two years of data the virus tends to go through its peaks in Dec _Jan like this year.  Summer and early fall the numbers have been in a trough. We are cruising end of August out of the UK.  I will be very surprised at this point if that cruise does not happen.  If necessary I will get a second booster to comply with the timelines of the countries we are visiting.